Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Clexane Injections - Lumps

(13 Posts)
Ostrich78 Mon 13-May-13 13:10:56

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could tell me if this is normal or not.
I'm currently 9+5 and have been injecting for 3 weeks, the sting and bruising is a bitch but I can live with it. Over the last week I have been getting a lump in some, but not all, of the recent injection sites. I'm injecting into my lower belly which has a nice layer of fat and I'm trying to use a different area every time but just in this last week I can feel lumps. Maybe I'm injecting too fast? I didn't think I was but something is causing them.

All advice is very welcome!

Thanks

Blending Mon 13-May-13 14:16:10

I inject fragmin, and have had a couple of smaller lumps, and one bigger one that a student midwife thought was the actual baby when she was feeling about!

No idea on how to stop them, but if its every injection, not just the odd one or 2 where you could have hit a blood vessel, I'd speak to my consultant/haematologist.

Good luck!

PK1975 Mon 13-May-13 15:57:45

I injected tinzaparin from week 14 to 6 weeks after DD's birth. I had lumps under some of the injection sites and they soon disappeared.

INeedtoDrinkLess Mon 13-May-13 16:12:17

I was also on clexane and had lots of lumps. injected from day of embryo transfer to 38 weeks so lots of lumps! still think I feel them sometimes and that was 2008! grin

stitchinline Mon 13-May-13 16:14:31

From what I was told by my doctor the lumps are pretty normal and nothing to worry about - have some pretty horrid ones on my legs at the moment! Just move injection site each time - I usually go left belly, right belly , right leg then left leg and back around again. Also don't touch/rub the area after injecting.
Last time i got less lumps the further along I was, possibly better technique after lots of practice?

bollockstoit Mon 13-May-13 16:15:44

Don't rub the area after you inject, that can cause lumps

Ostrich78 Mon 13-May-13 16:24:31

Thanks ladies, it's reassuring to know this is normal. Sometimes it really stings and I can't help but press it! I'm hoping I'll have loads of lumps and brusies over the weeks to come.

Longdistance Mon 13-May-13 16:30:13

Hey, I'm using Clexane ATM as I've broken my leg and have had surgery. I was given the option of injecting into my thigh or tummy. For some strange reason I don't want it in my tummy, but have it in my thigh changing sides every day.
I've got bruises and lumps on the sites I've injected, and have had them everyday for a month, and will have another I believe 3 weeks of these injections left...sigh.

BadSailor Thu 16-May-13 09:24:59

Just started on Clexane this week and am sure the makers just hollowed out a few knitting needles for these syringes! I can't understand why the needles are so big when the ones for daily IVF injections were so tiny by comparison.

Bruising not great but no lumps as yet. Not rubbing the area after injecting is good to know especially when the instructions advise you to do so.

Has anyone refused to take Clexane? And if so did it make a difference?

mummylin Thu 16-May-13 09:40:33

I had to give my dh clexane after he had a hip op. the first ones always resulted in lumps and terrible bruises, but I was given a tip by local nurse. Make sure the actual syringe dosent press against the skin. And make sure the needle goes in at an angle. You can still get needle in fully without pushing against your body. It was a lot better after I did what she said.

Ostrich78 Wed 22-May-13 15:28:00

Thanks for replying ladies, just thought I was doing it wrong and panicked. I picked up more Clexane yesterday (after a successful scan!) and the syringes are totally different, no automatic protective cover for the syringe after use, they're thinner (pencil thin) and the needle seems thinner too. I have used 2 and already they seem much easier and less stingy. The originals were from the hospital pharmacy whereas the new ones were from Boots.
Thanks again to all for replying and putting my mind at rest x

Midori1999 Wed 22-May-13 19:34:27

Ostrich, I think these may be newer syringes as I've had them a couple of times now and they have a longer date than the 'protective sleeve' syringes. Last time I was on clexane I only got the protective sleeve ones, this time I've started getting the thinner ones.

Ostrich78 Wed 22-May-13 22:09:10

Hi Midori, are you finding the thinner ones easier/nicer to use? With less bruising and stinging? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now