Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Possibly the most stupid question ever asked on MN

(34 Posts)
forgetmenots Sun 12-May-13 10:43:24

Ok... Deep breath...

Writing my birth plan at the moment and I'm pretty much 'I will take things as they come and I feel informed enough to make decisions'...

With one exception. I really, really don't want to be under general anaesthetic as I don't want to miss baby being born (please don't think I'm judging anyone who has done this, it's personal preference and I know I would be really upset).

Feels to me that the only way I can be certain of avoiding this, even if an emcs were needed, is to have an epidural early enough on, so that I can have a section and be awake.

Is this the most stupid pregnant-lady logic ever? Can I make a case for this to avoid the one scenario that is making me a bit tearful? I've genuinely no idea... Help please!

TheApprentice Sun 12-May-13 20:55:00

Glad to help!

sleeplessinselondon Sun 12-May-13 20:55:45

I had the same experience as TheApprentice, GA as both epidural and spinal didn't take and there was no other choice. My husband had a lovely 30 minutes with DD while I came round and it has never caused any problems, she breast-fed with no problems straight away etc. Again I am the only person I know who had GA - it is rare as everyone says and is a last resort.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HariboAndWine Sun 12-May-13 21:01:25

Try not to worry as the chances are you won't need one but if you do it really isn't the end of the world. I had a crash cesarean due to the cord being wrapped tightly around baby's neck. Without ga my baby wouldn't be here now. It's upsetting but nothing compared to the alternative which doesn't bear thinking about. Good luck smile

I had an EMCS with DS, the anaesthetist came to discuss options options but I'm afraid I just snapped "what's going to be quickest?".
I woke up nose to nose with DS, it was lovely.
I ended up with another EMCS with DD, I went into the anaesthetist room for an epidural but changed my mind at the last second.
Your views will be respected.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-May-13 21:10:20

Please don't be afraid of a GA. I went in for an active VBAC birth. V keen as DS was an emcs. Things didn't go quite to plan, and I had another emcs, this time under GA. I also brought home a happy, healthy and live baby. You will only ever be given a GA if yours or the baby's life is under threat. In my case it was both. If the medical team feel that a GA is necessary you won't really get much choice.

FWIW, I have 2 DC, and as you can see above,both were emcs. I don't feel short-changed in.anyway for not having "pushed".

GibberTheMonkey Sun 12-May-13 21:25:33

I had a ga with a crash section
To be honest by that point it really was the least of my worries.
Yes I was scared as they wheeled me in why getting me to sign and yes I could feel them putting in the catheter as I went under they were in such a hurry but truly it was the best thing in the circumstances

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 21:26:12

It is very very very rare to need a general for a section. Even if they have to rush you for a section they tend just to stick a spinal block in. And if you've been labouring for so long that they decide to section you then chances are you might have gone down the epidural route anyway.

If you get to the point of needing an emergency general then things will be so critical that not seeing the baby be born will be far preferable to one of you dying. Don't sweat it and don't let your concern about avoiding a general push you into an epidural too early. Frankly it's a pain in the ass not being able to use your legs after the baby is born if everything else is fine!

Good luck!

forgetmenots Sun 12-May-13 22:57:04

Thank you all (too many to namecheck now, but I appreciate every comment), from a state of genuine near-hysteria about something that may never happen/is rare/isn't an issue for the reason I think it is anyway, I'm not back to my relaxed, positive birth plan ideas. It really is great having reassurance like this from people who've been there and know better. You are all stars, thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now