Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due today and baby has un-engaged

(10 Posts)
festive Sat 11-May-13 18:54:25

I must admit I'm a bit confused myself. The midwife also said they 'weren't really supposed to' do sweeps at 40 weeks for second pregnancies, only past 41 weeks - although they do them at 40 wks for first pregs, and I'm not sure I really understand why!?
Oh well, will have to see if she'll do one on weds, until then it's curries, pineapples and maybe a clary sage bath!

Artichook Sat 11-May-13 08:15:14

I agree that it's odd they wouldn't give you a sweep. I've had two this week despite not being properly engaged (I was actually engaged second time round but only 1/5).

festive Sat 11-May-13 07:33:15

Thanks ladies, will take a look at spinning babies. After bit of research, this seems quite common, my friend told me with her second (who was also breech until flipping head down at 38 weeks) she wasn't engaged the day before he was born at 39 wks!

Midori1999 Sat 11-May-13 07:25:45

This seems odd as the success of a sweep, I'm sure, depends on how ready the cervix is and has nothing to do with the head being engaged. Certainly I've had 5 labours, only the 1st has gone to term, the rest all before 38 weeks and none except the first have been engaged before labour. Last time I had a sweep at 37 weeks, given by my consultant. Head not engaged. I gave birth at 36+7.

chickensaladagain Sat 11-May-13 06:59:00

I was 40+13 with dc1 who's head was 'nicely' engaged for what seemed like weeks

Dc 2 I went to 40+5 with her head never engaging

I moved house on my due date so maybe it was just being active, walking, bending over boxes etc that did it

Artichook Sat 11-May-13 06:46:11

I'm awaiting my third who keeps bobbing in and out of my pelvis. Have a look at the Spinning Babies website which has some exercise to encourage the head to engage.

TobyLerone Sat 11-May-13 06:38:13

Neither of mine ever engaged. I was induced at 42 weeks both times.

Bunnychan Fri 10-May-13 22:33:25

No advice and I'm not in the same situation as you but at my 36 week appointment they baby was starting to engage then at my 38 week one they said baby was free. She said that this was common in subsequent pregnancies ( this is my first) and that it was common in active babies. She said that some don't engage until labour starts and not to worry so fingers crossed your little one is just having a last minute fidget lol x

jimblejambles Fri 10-May-13 21:57:36

No advice but am in the same situation so marking place to see what others say.
Dc3 was due yesterday and midwife says baby no longer engaged.

festive Fri 10-May-13 21:45:03

At my 40 week check up today the midwife had said she was going to do a sweep. However after checking baby's position, she didn't attempt one as baby has gone from 3/5ths engaged to free again in the past week so she said there was little point. It's my second pregnancy (was 13 days late with DS).
Anyone else experienced this? Was kind of hoping this baby was on its way but now beginning to think I could be waiting another two weeks, yet again.
Have another check up on Weds at 40+5. Any advice for me?? Midwife has suggested sitting leaning forward and bouncing on a ball...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now