Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Concerns about early labour at 23+3

(8 Posts)
Rachael200694 Fri 10-May-13 20:25:02

Hello, I've recently had some trouble and was hoping someone could help who may have been through something similar. On Wednesday I was out and my stomach started hurting really bad then when I got home the pain was coming in waves with about 15-30 minute intervals over 5 hours and it was going up my back and across my stomach. I contacted my midwife and she said it sounded like a water infection despite me saying I was having no pain passing urine. The following night the pains started again so I rang the labour ward and went in. To put it as brief as possible I have no water infection, the baby is happy, I'm not losing any blood or fluid, everything seems ok but I've had no explanation for the pains. Because I'm 23 weeks they wouldn't test to see if I was in early labour as you need to be 24 weeks minimum for the test. Has anyone else had anything similar? The midwife could feel my womb contracting and tightening but I'm confused why! Thank you for any help you can provide me with smile

lucybrad Fri 10-May-13 21:04:55

Hi, hopefully someone will be along soon with some more experience. Hope all is ok. How frustrating and worrying for you.

ExpatAl Fri 10-May-13 21:10:34

I'm amazed they won't see you until you're 24 weeks. How frustrating for you. Have you thought about going to a & e? You shouldn't have painful tightenings. Do you have back ache?

Rachael200694 Fri 10-May-13 21:32:51

Fortunately it has stopped again for now, but it's so worrying. I'm over the moon that i have no fluid or blood leaking, but I don't understand what's going on still. I get kinda a period pain feeling and all across my stomach hurts and it spreads a strong painful aching feeling up my back. What concerns me most is that it comes and goes over hours like contractions but for now I feel like I'm sat waiting for it to happen again and go back to hospital again. Fed up! sad

If they are talking about performing a foetal fibronectin test or an Actim Partus test to predict if you are at high risk of preterm labour, you need to be 24+ weeks for them to get an accurate result. Google it and you will be able to see what I mean. Unfortunately you will find that you get treated differently from 24 weeks anyway because then you will have a viable baby on board. I've found it very frustrating having problems before then.

I can empathise with the fed up feeling. I had a positive Actim Partus at 27 weeks with tightenings. I'm now 31 weeks and have had an irritable uterus ever since then.

I'm assuming that you've at least had a speculum exam to check your cervix is still closed and at least a CTG to check that baby seems OK?

Rachael200694 Sat 11-May-13 11:56:16

I have yeah baby is fine and I did get checked to make sure my cervix is still closed which was brill news. I just don't understand what has caused the pains really, just want my little one to be safe and sound in there!

BabyHMummy Sat 11-May-13 12:05:08

I had this in the week too but it has now passed. My me said could be a bit of a tummy bug. She told be careful and rest, take some paracetamol and if.it carried on to.get checked.

They should at least have put u on.the monitor to.check.

It.could.just be braxton hicks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now