Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Does this seem right to you?

(10 Posts)
Midori1999 Sat 11-May-13 12:02:22

I agree they need to lie flat as newborns. However, you will find once they are older, even if the pram lays flat they're legs sort of dangle over the edge, which doesn't look comfy either.

The mamas and papas ultima is a bit old fashioned now, but it has a carrycot which is full sized and the seat unit is also suitable from birth and the part where the legs go once they're older lifts up in line with the seat unit, if that makes sense, so the older baby/toddler won't have the leg dangling thing. It can front or parent face too. Much more comfy. It is a beast though, very large.

The bugaboo chameleon has bucket seats, but also a full sized carrycot which would be suitable for 6 months ish. It also parent faces.

A lot of lie flat pushchairs are front facing only.

JellyCurls Sat 11-May-13 11:45:35

Xpedior, that's the one along with loads of others. Like * roller coaster* says I wang baby to be able to rest in pushchair section after they have outgrown pram. Think a visit to pram centre is on the cards for next weekend

StuckOnARollercoaster Sat 11-May-13 09:49:16

It's one of the things that helped me rule out certain prams as I prefer the idea of something that can go properly flat. (there are so many pram options it's mind boggling!)
Shop assistants would say you can buy the carrycot but many are small and will be outgrown quickly and I still think it's a nice feature to have the pramchair go flat as well so that when they are over 6 months they can still go flat for a good nap.
(I ended up with a maxi cosi mura 3 but it is a bigger and heavier pram so not one of the popular styles)

Lj8893 Fri 10-May-13 22:09:49

Xpedior? That comes in blue or plum but comes with a carrycot so should be fine for baby to lie flat?!

JellyCurls Fri 10-May-13 21:11:52

Can't remember the name but colour options were electric blue or plum. Think it began with an E (baby brain has fully kicked in)

nowgotosleep Fri 10-May-13 21:06:37

There are lots of prams with "bucket seats" like you describe but there are also others where the seat will lay completely flat. We had a britax b-smart when DD was newborn. Initially we used it with a carrycot, just personal choice really but the seat laid flat for use from birth. I agree that it doesn't seem comfortable for baby to lay flat with their legs in the air!

Eskino Fri 10-May-13 21:02:34

Which pushchair was it?

lexib Fri 10-May-13 21:01:23

I think I saw that one too - i thought very strange! Not right at all

happydaze77 Fri 10-May-13 20:59:40

Many pushchairs claim to be suitable from birth as they fully recline. However, as you correctly pointed out they don't allow your baby to lie flat. To do this you would need a carrycot add-on, that fits onto the frame, instead of the seat - iyswim?
We bought our pushchair brand new and bought the carrycot second hand - they grow out of them after about 5 months so you can often find them available for sale nearly new. If you're baby's anything like ours was - she only napped in her pram - than it's well worth buying the carrycot as it is best for a newborn to lie flat. Some people even use the pram carrycot as their moses basket.
Hope that's useful.

JellyCurls Fri 10-May-13 20:13:54

Was in mothercare today looking at prams and girl was demonstrating how to convert the pram body into pushchair. The seat bit looked comfy till it reclined and then it all went wrong. The seat bit stayed in seat shape and all tilted to lie flat so baby would effectively be lying back with legs in the air. Girl couldn't see what was wrong with that position and said all prams are now like that. Surely not!

Girl looked at me like I had two heads or something when I queried it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now