Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bloating like I could literally burst

(22 Posts)
mumoftwoboysS Mon 13-May-13 12:50:59

well it's low in fibre (if you don't eat wholemeal) but it depends if you have a reaction to wheat! I don't eat wheat due to it causing ibs, but i eat wheat free alternatives.

but you're right, some people bloat up with bread. I guess it depends if you do or not! (hopefully not otherwise you're even more limited!)

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Mon 13-May-13 11:40:54

Thanks smile seems odd that bread a pasta is ok? it's really contradictive to what you'd normally expect! will have a look for that stuff at lunch as I need to find some ginger tablets too!

mumoftwoboysS Mon 13-May-13 09:38:39

Indecisive I know it seems like a lot, but cooked root veges are really good- carrots, potatoes, parsnips etc. Rice, white pasta, bread. I like to eat pulses and beans to stay healthy but I just find they can really affect my gut sometimes though red lentils seem to be ok, maybe because they're smaller?? Perhaps you could just reduce them and see if that helps. I've also heard of something in health food stores called BEano or something similar?? Supposed to help you break down the gas producing substances in pulses to aid digestion- not sure if it's ok during pregnancy tho. The major gas-producing culprits in vegies are broccoli, cabbage and onion so you may find just cutting these out helps?

I had a huge reaction to a bowl of fruit the other day, so now I'm just sticking to one piece at a time! Also I've found dried apricots make me really bloated!! Not sure if it's the sulphur/sulphites in the drying process or just the fibre itself?

Saku Sun 12-May-13 15:32:22

dont drink water immediately after meal or in between having meal.. walk little bit just 5 min of walking is enough.. then have some fruit .. so you will not feel thirsty for 30 min.. then if you want relax or do something which you want... then after 50 - 60 min.. drink water..

try to drink lots of water another time of day.. but not near having meal.. hope it will help..

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sun 12-May-13 10:56:32

wow ok that really is quite a list and I suspect therein lies my problem! so in all seriousness, what can I eat then? ! am practically a veggie as am v v fussy about meat!

have avoided apples for years as they inevitability make me fart! shock luckily I don't really like them!

mumoftwoboysS Sat 11-May-13 20:44:45

oh and I find apples a bit of a problem too- I think pears are less gassy! smile

mumoftwoboysS Sat 11-May-13 20:43:37

I think someone mentioned above but try to avoid insoluble fibre. Just stick to soluble fibre for a while and see how that goes. Insoluble fibre includes all wholegrains, seeds, nuts, beans, lentils, fruit and veg with skin on- seems like a long list but if you just reduce it it might help? Try peeling your fruit -Also I find certain fruit and veg make me blow up like a balloon now I'm pregnant including broccoli, onions, cabbage, and eating too much fruit at once- so avoid a bowl of fruit, just have one type of fruit(peeled) then wait a few hours.

Also I'd personally avoid those probiotic drinks -they've got quite a bit of sugar in them and that can cause bloating- much better to go for natural yogurt. I also take ground flaxseed that will help give you fibre but it's soluble so if you feel like you need a bit to get your bowels going so to speak, it's great if you chuck a few spoonfuls on your cereal.

Hope it gets better- mine is insane at the moment (I'm only 8 weeks) I am in pain from the build up of gas (its embarassing and uncomfortable) I'm going to follow my own advice and start peeling fruit etc, avoid certain veg and will let you know if it helps me! Good luck!

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sat 11-May-13 18:35:58

lol yes! An Uppababy Cruz is on its way wink

MrsSpagBol Sat 11-May-13 18:14:06

Good luck!

Ps have you decided on a pram now?

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sat 11-May-13 16:49:18

Ok I found benefiber in tesco. no ginger though. Will look in Asda tmw. wish me luck ladies and thanks again! smile

MrsSpagBol Sat 11-May-13 13:50:14

No you dont needva certain amt - its just natural ginger. I took one in the morn and one in the eve and my GP was fine with that.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sat 11-May-13 12:04:24

I have pregnancy vitamins with added ginger? or do I need a minimum amount/certain mg d'you think?

Will be checking Asda and Boots but if I can't find it will buy online!

My cabinet is looking like a Holland & Barrett these days lol

LadyMedea Sat 11-May-13 11:42:58

Try chemist day direct for the benefiber. I couldn't find it on the high street. Really good as once dissolved it doesn't taste ofanything.

MrsSpagBol Sat 11-May-13 11:16:56

Raw ginger didnt work for me but please give the ginger capsules a go - they are tasteless and saved my life.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sat 11-May-13 10:42:22

Ginger does nothing unfortunately. .haven't tried peppermint tea as I don't like it and figured peppermint tablets were much the same?

4l water seems an awful lot? ! I'm definitely drinking more than 2. will also try to up that then but it's proving difficult as I constantly think I need a wee already! stopping twice on the walk between office and train as it is! (used to be a ten minute walk!).

I don't take yakult but have probiotic supplements I take twice a day plus a probiotic yogurt daily?

Am appreciating the suggestions though guys! smile

MrsSpagBol Sat 11-May-13 10:11:13

Peppermint tea

Ginger tea

Ginger capsules from Boots

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 11-May-13 08:29:01

Are you drinking enough? My MW said when pregnant you need to double what you'd normally drink.

If increasing fibre hasn't helped, try decreasing instead. With the probiotics, are you having them every day? I take Yskult and know when I've missed one.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 10-May-13 21:55:28

Trying those too but not helping! am on a benefiber mission tmw! It's awful. .never experienced anything like it til being pregnant..hopefully everything will go back to normal once baby is born!

LittleMilla Fri 10-May-13 21:27:54

I've been having some probiotic yoghurt things which I think help a little.

Feel for you, similar stage and it's ruddy uncomfortable!

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 10-May-13 20:59:11

I've been avoiding bran flakes for a while now as they've definitely made me worse! will have a look out for that benefiber too thanks for the tip smile

I was taking Deflatine before seeing the Dr (says on the packet it's ok when pregnant). I asked about getting it on prescription but ended up with peppermint tablets which say not to mix with antacids and I don't know if Deflatine is considered an antacid or not? Don't spose you know?

Will give two lots of the peppermint tablets a go too grin

Thanks for the response!

LadyMedea Fri 10-May-13 20:45:36

I avoid insoluble fibre rich foods I.e. bran flakes as they always make my bloating worse. Stick to soluble fibre like fruit and veg (I also take benefiber which helps immensely).

You could ask your doctor if deflatine tablets are ok. And if you are on the peppermint try two tabs three times a day for a while.

Also moving around or going on all fours and sticking bum in the air can help trapped gas find a way out!

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 10-May-13 17:28:29

Hello ladies

Just wondering if anyone out there has a successful solution for pregnancy bloating? I've never experienced anything like it and really need to find a solution!

Have tried increasing fibre amd water, eating little and often, avoiding gas causing foods etc. am currently on peppermint tablets tje Dr gave me which helped a little bit for a while but now seem to hav stopped working sad am not constipated or anything so it's not that and in haven't suffered any heartburn. Have suffered since the beginning and am now 32 weeks and it just seems to get worse. It's really getting me down now sad

Any ideas/suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now