Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Please help me find a name for my impending son!!!

(47 Posts)
Fairy130389 Thu 09-May-13 20:26:43

Hi all, currently 35 weeks pregnant...
Me and dh cannot decide what to call the baby. We have vetoed every name in the book for one reason or another. The only name we vaguely agree on is Elliot and I'm starting to wain on that one too. We did like Finley for a while but it doesn't really go with our surname and it is so popular ow which puts me off a little. Please help or he will be baby s his whole life!!

seeker Fri 17-May-13 09:09:34

Patrick

Teaandflapjacks Fri 17-May-13 09:08:18

I really like Rupert - not sure if that has been said already? also Lucas, but not sure if your surname starts with Seb that might end up a bit of a mouthful. Have you thought of more 'foreign' names - if you like Elliot what about Elias, or Emil, or more english - Emmet etc?

BelleEtLaBaby Fri 17-May-13 08:58:25

I know two blokes called Robin. One is Rob and the other uses the full name. Both excellent blokes: Rob is quite sporty and hunky and Robin is a comic book artist smile Love it.

My ds1 is Harrison and Ds2 due Sept will be Stanley. Friends little boys are Sonny and Sidney. Is there an S trend around here do you think?! smile

Fairy130389 Fri 17-May-13 04:14:56

What do you all think of the name Robin? DH came up with it today. Not sure if I love it or if I will always think of a small man in red tights...

harrygracejessica Mon 13-May-13 21:52:46

I have a Harry, Elliot and Oliver :-)

I picked Elliot and OH realised it was lovely and Harry named Oliver - luckily it was on a short list.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 13-May-13 20:39:56

George is lovely! Go for it.

IroningBoredDaily Mon 13-May-13 20:15:45

Noah
Alexander
Ethan
Luke

Fairy130389 Mon 13-May-13 20:06:55

We do like the older names, we were quite set on George for a while. I LOVE James or Jamie but unfortunately that is DH's name and I'm not a fan of James Junior!!!!

harryhausen Mon 13-May-13 18:56:04

Think of the older names. People think they're boring and common but honestly, in school these days there's none to be seen.

How about John or Jon?

Matthew

Mark

Paul

(This is beginning to sound like the bible!)

James (Jamie?)

Andrew

A bit random....

Jago

Gustav (Gus)

Camwombat Mon 13-May-13 16:52:36

At my Ds's toddler group there is:
Isaac
Harvey
Herbie
Rory
Edward
Benjamin
Oscar
Orion
Alexander
William
Callum
George

I also like Theodore, Finley, and Arthur.

terilou87 Mon 13-May-13 16:41:18

my boys are leon chael and jay adam dean, thats what me and the other half agreed on, i loved jenson jayden harrison leeroy lucas nathaniel oscar brogan logan max the list goes on but oh is really picky grin

ChildOfThe1980s Mon 13-May-13 14:54:22

I have the same problem. I have two weeks to go and there is not one name that we agree on. We don't know the sex, so maybe it's a girl and we won't have to worry!

Names I like that DH said no to include:
Adam
Peter
Levi

Good luck.

Dittle Mon 13-May-13 12:11:45

I'm totally in love with the name Isaac. I'm 11w preggo just now so if it's a boy that'll be his name :P that or Zachary.

looneytune Sun 12-May-13 20:26:47

I like Milo too but dh prefers Miles and I think that is currently the top one we've agreed on. Think it's going to be a case of seeing what feels right once he's here, that worked with ds1 as I had another name in mind but the backup name felt right once we met him smile

Fairy130389 Sun 12-May-13 19:58:09

I love loads of the names suggested... Have run a couple by DH but he is SO fussy... Liked Milo a lot but DH said no (Tweenies) can't have sebastian although I love it because our surname starts Seb. We also have a lot of boys and men in the family and all the good names have been taken! I also love Louie but my friend had a baby last year and called him Louie so that's out...

My Step daughter has started calling the bump Freddie! Hope that doesn't stick!

2Labradors Sun 12-May-13 19:39:34

I like Oliver. It's one of the names we had if DD (now 9) was a boy although it moved off our list as we had a dog called Molly at the time and thought we would probably shorten to olly so things might have been confusing.

It's back on my list for this pregnancy.

I also like George, William or Mathew. Maybe Lewis.

Fakebook Sun 12-May-13 19:16:08

I Like Norman and Nigel.

My ds is Euan, Dh is Robin. I love both their names x

Tarlia Sun 12-May-13 18:40:43

Jasper
Henrik

u32ng Sun 12-May-13 08:33:52

A second for Noah! grin

We had exactly the same issue as you OP!! Hated 99% of all the boys names in our baby book & went off a couple also. Is a miracle our 14wk old even has a name!

If we have a second DS, god knows what we'll call it!!

CuteLittleToes Sun 12-May-13 01:56:07

I'm pushing DP for Liam, I'm absolutely in love with this name... If we have a boy that is grin

borrowedlight Sun 12-May-13 01:29:22

Reuben? Roo or Rube for short.

milkymocha Sat 11-May-13 21:11:08

Noah?

emzypoo Sat 11-May-13 20:35:50

How's about logan or jenson I chose them but had a little girl I'm def using one of those if we have another one and a boy x

Snowflakepie Sat 11-May-13 18:37:56

My list for DS: Leo, Christopher, Isaac.
DHs list: Leo, Matthew, Benedict.

Guess what his name will be!

We knew DD was a girl so didn't have any boy names then.

Middle names will be from our grandads, one each side. Luckily they are nice names.

If you love a name don't be put off that its popular. If you really love it you will only seethe inside every time you hear it shouted in the park. DDs was #10 in her birth year, I've only met one a few years older and love it totally, it is perfect for her. Now it's going off the boil a bit. Go with your heart, the right name will come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now