Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Best vest tops

(21 Posts)
Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 08-May-13 13:32:09

H & m ones are great, I found new look tops really short.

BabyHMummy Wed 08-May-13 11:32:57

Haha yeah sorry...blooming auto correct.

I have rather ample boobage without being pg but am short so although technically only a 16 tens to have to ho up one or two sizes in tops so spend my life shortening straps.

Although you could start a fashion trend with the sticks pmsl

Myneaux Wed 08-May-13 11:24:55

BabyHMummy - presume you mean a stitch rather than a stick? smile

(tho I do have a large collection of sticks in my garden which DS insists on bringing back from every outing....so maybe I can be inventive)

I cant believe that had never occurred to me !

BabyHMummy Wed 08-May-13 09:51:57

The shoulder straps tend to be the issue..i just put a stick in to shorten them and problem solved. £2 v £9 in new look/h&m

Myneaux Wed 08-May-13 09:15:02

I always find the Primark ones are a bit too low at the front especially if you size up (doesnt help when you have a toddler grabbing and climbing on you all the time either !!)

Might have another look as them in case they are a slightly different fit this year

BabyHMummy Tue 07-May-13 19:42:12

I have just bought some ribbed vests in primark they are very long and have thick straps and are very comfy. I bought a size bigger than i needed so i have room to grow

MB34 Tue 07-May-13 18:50:20

I second the Primark vests - the ones with thick straps not the thin straps. I wore them throughout my pregnancy and still wearing the same ones 6 months after!!

I bought them my normal size 14 and they have lasted well.

CitrusyOne Tue 07-May-13 18:19:11

Strappy, not scrappy,

CitrusyOne Tue 07-May-13 18:18:47

I ended up wearing two - a tight scrappy one then one with wider straps- that was the only way I could find of covering all the right bits of me.

Cavort Tue 07-May-13 18:15:44

I bought a load from Primark in a size 16 (I was a pre-pregnancy 10). I'm 32 weeks and they fit perfectly now. They are down to my hips and really stretchy and a bargain at £1.50.

weeblueberry Tue 07-May-13 18:09:06

Yep was just about to say the Tesco ones are excellent. Think the label says 'best vest' or something similar?

Myneaux Tue 07-May-13 15:24:11

thanks for all the recommendations....will have a look at New Look etc

BentleyBelly Tue 07-May-13 14:07:14

Non maternity H and M. They do really long vests for about £3.99. I am wearing one today!

TinkyPeet Tue 07-May-13 13:58:41

I got a couple from select, non pregnancy but they're long and have stretched with me so far (29wks....but look 39!) x

Matalan had some basic ones last year that actually fit and lasted really well.

Dexidoo Tue 07-May-13 13:52:52

Got mine online at new look too

BagCat Tue 07-May-13 13:41:33

Another vote for New Look smile

andrews81 Tue 07-May-13 13:40:34

New look are great for these smile

Try New Look - I order online and pick them up at the store.

CluelessNewbie1 Tue 07-May-13 13:11:59

I got some from tesco yesterday for £3 they are non-maternity but buying a bigger size they are fine and have big straps. They are called 'perfect vests'.

Myneaux Tue 07-May-13 13:05:53

Ive just slogged into town and Im despairing at ever finding any nice basic maternity vest tops to see me through the summer.

Has anyone found the holy grail? a nice long stretchy vest top with thick enough straps so that you can wear a bra and that doesnt display too much boobage...all the ones I have tried are too baggy, have too thin straps or are incredibly low cut. You wouldnt think it would be too hard would you?

I ideally want one in navy, plus another brighter colour and a white one that isnt see through !

Have tried Topshop (thin straps), Primark non maternity (too low) H&M (only stripey / thin camisole type)....asos (too low and too baggy).

If you do have a recommendation (fingers crossed) can you let me know if they are true to size...so few shops stock maternity stuff and sizing seems to be all over the place.

many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now