Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things I'm not going to miss about pregnancy...

(72 Posts)
mamabrownbear Sun 05-May-13 14:26:52

I'm currently 39+3 and really have enjoyed the last couple of months of pregnancy. Feeling fine and calm about impending doom...birth.
However, I really won't miss the following things about the last bit of pregnancy:
1. Bump size related comments - 'oh you are so neat' doesn't comfort me with the thought that my baby is perfectly normal. I'm measuring bang on date thank you so don't put any doubt in my mind and no, I haven't pigged out on cake and sat on my arse the last 9 months so no, I'm not a whale either. Water retention? - don't get me started...
2. Everyone is a midwife - 'you don't look like you've dropped' well apparently I have and just because I'm not advertising the fact that I'm waddling around with strange sensations in my pelvis and every inner twist and turn makes me need the loo doesn't mean I haven't so back off.
3. Touching the bump - oh why don't you have a feel of my boobs too while you are groping my body without asking?
4. The unnecessary and unasked for birthing stories - ok I get it, you had a terrible/shocking/funny experience and want to tell me but I have just told you that I'm trying not to over think things as I'm aware that everyone has completely different experiences and ours will be whatever ours is and we can only prepare ourselves for how we hope to delivery. Oh you are going to tell me about your hemorrhaging horror story anyway? Jolly good...cue fake interested smile while in my head I'm smacking my head against the nearest wall...

Any other peeves I've missed out? Maybe it's a rant but I will be glad to be past that stage soon...I hope...

peacefuleasyfeeling Mon 06-May-13 23:36:35

I feel much better now, realising so many are suffering far worse than me! I just came on to say SPD, which is bloody awful. I made it through 1st trimester morning sickness thanks to a funny piece of advice from someone here; her aunt had told her to lie on the bathroom floor and yell "Please God, let me die now!" when the nausea got to bad. It still makes me chuckle inwardly now. Perhaps I'll try it for my pelvis too...

auntmargaret Mon 06-May-13 23:47:09

I hate being pregnant. Love babies. Meh.

purrpurr Tue 07-May-13 09:22:00

Totally agree with 2 and 4!

I will not miss...

1) The swollen, numb hands with periods of fleeting sensation and pins and needles. The pain in my hands at 5am that wakes me up if I've had the audacity to curl my fingers into my palms in my sleep. God alive.

2) Everything I can't do because my hands hurt or are too numb. Thankfully, jabbing wildly at keys on my laptop isn't too much of an issue or I'd probably go nuts.

3) I've been persistently patronised by everybody I know since August. People want to make my pregnancy about them - whether that's insisting, cruelly, that the baby will be several months premature, and then now I've gone to 40+2, declaring with a smug, nose-in-the-air I-knew-it-all-along expression that actually I'll be precisely 17 days overdue (I do so love how in both of these scenarios the welfare of my unborn baby would be at risk statistically, thanks Mum, I, er, love you too?) or whether, now I'm pretty much at the end, it's moving on from giving me unsolicited advice about pregnancy, and now starting to give me advice about breastfeeding. No, I did not know that you are 'not allowed' to eat nuts, rhubarb, spicy food, bread, breathe, sleep etc if you intend on breastfeeding... How fascinating hmm, do go on...

4) People telling me how uncomfortable I must be by now. Aside from the swollen hands, I'm ok. Telling me I'm not ok when I say I am is just bizarre...

BabyHMummy Tue 07-May-13 09:36:14

Ohhh 2, 3 & 4 are definite irritants!!! I bought a t shirt that said hands off the bump in new look but it doesn't stop my mother who thinks she has carte Blanche to touch and gets pretty annoyed when she gets her hand slapped.

I hate the fact everyone else looks glam and i feel fat and frumpy cos maternity clothes at size 16+ are awful

I hate not being able to have pate and French bread in the garden when the weather is this glorious

I really miss liver risotto...i know vile for most but i love it and i think my iron levels are low cos am proper craving it

I miss sex...sorry for tmi but hyperemesis and spd have killed my interest and capability and i really miss it cos dp is amazing lol

MisselthwaiteManor Tue 07-May-13 10:01:42

I really enjoy being pregnant during the day, it's when I lie down to go to sleep that it all starts. Heartburn, endless peeing, not being able to lie comfortably, not being able to turn over without a massive fuss, leg cramps. When I finally manage to sleep I wake up in the early hours starving and thirsty.

The thing I hate the most is how your body becomes public property, everyone thinks they're a doctor/midwife and comments on bump size, what you eat, tells you what your labour will be like, and the bloody groping. I hold my arms over my bump and make it quite clear I don't want to be touched and people still touch. I have found a loud 'ouch!' works best at making them pull their hand away.

DS is now 4 weeks and I actually miss being pregnant, I enjoyed it! (Sorry)

The only things that I did suffer with was the heartburn and night sweats. Waking up thinking that I'd weed myself every night was not pleasant!

craftycottontail Tue 07-May-13 12:08:56

I really miss lying on my tummy, that's how I like to read!

I miss being able to whizz round a few shops in town without feeling knackered.

SO looking forward to sleeping without constantly waking myself up from snoring (or poor DH)

Still, only 2 weeks to go - I hope!!

BraveLilBear Tue 07-May-13 13:00:34

I won't miss the will I/won't I find anything in the shops worth wearing drama - why have all high street stores dissolved or moved maternity wear online??

Won't miss waking up in the middle of the night in agony with hip and leg pain and/or drenched in sweat.

Won't miss the coccyx pain I've had since week 16.

Won't miss fretting about my boobs/bra scenario - having always been rather flat chested, now I panic as I don't feel supported in anything and they get in the way.

Won't miss living in a timewarp. First trimester lasts six months, second about 5 months, third trimester is picking up pace. Feels like I've been pregnant forever and only 29 weeks!

Won't miss lack of sex. Am quite keen (until energy reserves farcically depleted) but DP is not. Can't see this improving for a while though!

Will miss having my own secret acrobat monkeying around inside though.

BagCat Tue 07-May-13 13:48:32

Pelvic pain, sore bones, swollen hands/knuckles/feet/ankles, constant bloody heartburn. Waking up during the night constantly, about half the time to pee, the other half with acid in my mouth. Barely being able to stand up, 10 movements to roll around in bed, which lasts 30 seconds and having to roll back again. People being an expert on all of the above and making shitty recommendations. Being moody from lack of sleep.

Feel so, so, so bad for complaining but am just not enjoying being pregnant for all of the above. 4 weeks to go. Cannot wait just to get back to normal health and look after our baby smile

rrreow Tue 07-May-13 15:04:52

Piles.

purpleaura Tue 07-May-13 18:34:56

Hmm. So many things to choose from... I won't miss heartburn, constipation, insane emotional ups and downs (poor dp!), and I especially won't miss being told "you don't look pregnant at all'... I'm sure people are just being kind but at 22 weeks I'm desperate to be obviously pregnant as opposed to just looking porky. Plus there's the panic- omg is the baby developing normally? Should I have more of a bump?

Oh yes. Other people telling me what I can and can't eat and drink as if the decision is entirely out of my own hands. If I want a small glass of wine I'll have one. Man, its good to moan!

Wickedgirl Tue 07-May-13 19:11:12

It's funny because it doesn't matter how much we all complain about being pregnant, most of us will miss it once the baby is here. I am making the most of the movements because this is the last time I will ever feel a baby in my tummy (baby 4) and I know I'll miss it once baby is here

BoffinMum Tue 07-May-13 23:13:52

SPD and dribbling wee. wink

xlatia Wed 08-May-13 09:31:35

What used to be a 30 minute dash to the childminder with DS1 has become a 60 minute waddle! And I need to stop to pee on my way back home, it's pathetic!

Thank god the heartburn has gone but now you can see baby moving abuot and kicking, even through my clothes. Pleople are a bit shock when they realise, I guess it reminds them of "Alien"...

Ilovestackingcups Wed 08-May-13 13:12:15

I miss full body stretches. The complete arms taught above head, toes pointed first full body stretch of the day. I lost the ability by about 30 weeks with DC1, I realised it was gone again this time round at 20 weeks.

Loving feeling the tummy gremlin in action from much earlier this time though. Bye bye toned tummy muscles!

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Wed 08-May-13 22:04:46

I love this thread it's made me feel so much better about hating pregnancy! For me it's the back ache/PGP, the constant stretched feeling across my stomach, phantom wee's, and how literally everything is hard work.

I will miss how nice and accommodating everyone is now I'm so obviously pregnant! And feeling baby move of course, even if he does pummel me some days wink

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Wed 08-May-13 22:18:22

p.s if anyone has a teenage daughter they're trying to warn off getting pregnant too young they should just direct them to this thread grin

BabyHMummy Wed 08-May-13 22:20:54

indecisive i reckon someone should invent a pill that gives kids the worst side effects of pregnancy for 48 hours. They would never have sex again!

SuffolkNWhat Wed 08-May-13 22:25:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wickedgirl Thu 09-May-13 10:30:23

indecisive I have a teenage daughter and I am hoping that after she has seen me throwing up for 17 weeks, that will be enough to put her off having babies. If not, I'm sure the birth stories and screaming baby will grin

rachywhite83 Thu 09-May-13 11:28:26

People's opinions. It drives me mad. Everyone has something to say about how you look how you will feel what it will be like what you should do ! Grrrrrrrrr so annoying

bunglecat77 Thu 09-May-13 15:36:21

Great thread!

I won't miss:
digestive issues - really painful heartburn, plus some, err, burping and farting
strangers looking me up and down
friends and family who only talk about the pregnancy - can't we just discuss something else, for once?!
everyone asking if it means DH and I are going to buy a car now
not being able to reach my shoelaces
wearing the same clothes day in, day out
not being able to walk the dog up steep hills
struggling to breathe when I've eaten too much
needing the loo every hour
decaf everything
weird dead legs and insomnia in the middle of the night
the number on the scales!
the snivelling runny nose I've had since 14 weeks
problems turning over in bed at night

Wow. Quite a list. And there I was thinking I'd got off relatively lightly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now