Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things I'm not going to miss about pregnancy...

(72 Posts)
mamabrownbear Sun 05-May-13 14:26:52

I'm currently 39+3 and really have enjoyed the last couple of months of pregnancy. Feeling fine and calm about impending doom...birth.
However, I really won't miss the following things about the last bit of pregnancy:
1. Bump size related comments - 'oh you are so neat' doesn't comfort me with the thought that my baby is perfectly normal. I'm measuring bang on date thank you so don't put any doubt in my mind and no, I haven't pigged out on cake and sat on my arse the last 9 months so no, I'm not a whale either. Water retention? - don't get me started...
2. Everyone is a midwife - 'you don't look like you've dropped' well apparently I have and just because I'm not advertising the fact that I'm waddling around with strange sensations in my pelvis and every inner twist and turn makes me need the loo doesn't mean I haven't so back off.
3. Touching the bump - oh why don't you have a feel of my boobs too while you are groping my body without asking?
4. The unnecessary and unasked for birthing stories - ok I get it, you had a terrible/shocking/funny experience and want to tell me but I have just told you that I'm trying not to over think things as I'm aware that everyone has completely different experiences and ours will be whatever ours is and we can only prepare ourselves for how we hope to delivery. Oh you are going to tell me about your hemorrhaging horror story anyway? Jolly good...cue fake interested smile while in my head I'm smacking my head against the nearest wall...

Any other peeves I've missed out? Maybe it's a rant but I will be glad to be past that stage soon...I hope...

21 weeks here too, LotsaTuddles but the other way. I'm tall, DH is tall, DD was/still is tall. Chance are this baby is tall too, therefore I have a big bump with lots of waters. Considering getting a maternity tee printed with "No, it's not twins, so fuck off asking"

Otherwise looking forward to getting my ankles back.

Only had one small child, and DSIL try touching my bump so far, so they're allowed. I'm ready for random strangers to try it though, I'll be returning the favour and rubbing there tummy back!

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 06-May-13 08:41:15

Aw you miserable lot! grin Reading things like this makes me really think before saying anything to any pregnant woman, ever. I've had two babies and the only thing that got to me was first time: labour horror stories and second time: how difficult it'll be with two. hmm

Xiaoxiong Mon 06-May-13 09:13:09

I'm 18 weeks with DC2.

Things I'm so not looking forward to repeating from first time around:
heartburn
snoring
hugeness
SPD
sciatica (already arrived unfortunately)
bleeding gums

Things I'm looking forward to:
baby movements
the 20 week scan
when my bump will finally go from jiggly jelly to smooth and firm
breastfeeding a newborn
that amazing newborn smell and lovely popcorn breastfeed poo smell
the rush of joy at holding a new baby
watching a newborn sleep
how great DS is (at the moment) - can't wait to go through this again grin

Rico08 Mon 06-May-13 09:41:33

The midwife saying ooh you are measuring big for your dates..... No shit Sherlock might be something to do with me being on the larger side anyway, and I don't need your sarcastic tone to remind me that I'm fat ......

Skelosia Mon 06-May-13 10:00:49

I thought I'd be able to write a while list if things, but not at all! I do hate how people think i'm unprepared because I don't know the gender. Yes, well be bringing home a naked baby! How does knowing the gender make you more prepared exactly? The thing I am looking forward to most after baby is born is wearing something other than leggings! Missing my Jeans so much, but don't want to pay out for maternity ones when this is or last. I also have pgp, so will look forward to be able to walk for more than ten minutes without spending the next two says on limited activity. But I just lovefeeling baby wiggle and well miss that so much. Good luck ladies grin

cyclecamper Mon 06-May-13 10:30:22

I'm a nanny. The thing that has got to me the most is: 'It'll be different when it's your own.' Yes I know, thanks. And you'll be surprised to learn that I know you don't get weekends off (apart from anything I have a 17 year old step-son with asbergers, and nobody else has yet turned up to take over on Friday night!)

I'm looking forward to the heartburn and backache leaving and being able to turn over in bed too. And sleeping in my own bed (my waters went last week and I've been in hospital since. They will induce me tomorrow)

cyclecamper Mon 06-May-13 10:32:42

Oh yes, and being able to ride my bike again, and walk more than a couple of miles without being exhausted.

amazingmumof6 Mon 06-May-13 11:41:16

the alcohol police.

I don't drink. I don't like feeling tipsy or having a headache. a sip of wine or a1/4 shandy once in a blue moon is more than enough for me.

BUT, with my last 2 pregnancies I was craving beer (weird), so I bought alcohol free beer. I never heard the end of it....just ridiculous!

I've learnt to deal with the sickness, exhaustion, braxton hicks, SPD, peeing, anemia, blood tests, calf cramping, vile migraines, mild hallucinations (I could smell burning wood in the middle of night in the summer, there was none), worms that you can't get rid of as you are not allowed to take Vermox (thanks kids!) and most of the other things mention above and the idiotic comments and questions.

But I just don't care anymore, none of these made me feel that I've had enough.
I love being pg and planning 2 more - I'm actually hoping for twins (as I always have had..)

MistyKnight Mon 06-May-13 11:58:08

The Darth Vader breathing really gets me. As does everyone at work having an opinion about when my maternity leave should start which doesn't match my own.
I hate having to go so slowly and feel unproductive and useless because of PGP - it's rubbish!
Lots of lovely things too, obviously - but I won't miss feeling like a very slow puffing thing!

bicyclebuiltforfour Mon 06-May-13 12:07:01

I hate being pregnant and this thread is reminding me why!

I'm obviously very grateful to be pregnant and love the outcome, but the process is awful.

I'd love a third (and maybe even a fourth), but the thought of being pregnant again is really quite sobering. I don't have any pregnancy complaints other than the usual stuff, but even so, I really am struggling with the thought of going through it again, particularly with two small children to contend with. I wish I'd appreciated having no children to deal with first time around!!

bicyclebuiltforfour Mon 06-May-13 12:10:21

Thinking about it, a lot of what I dislike is the expectation that I'll love it. You're meant to be glowing and blooming and revelling in the creation of new life, and daring to say that you're not enjoying it doesn't normally go down well. My first thought of opening this thread would be that someone would have made the comment that you should be grateful you were pregnant when so many people are struggling to conceive: that's what normally happens in these sort of threads. The reality of this makes it hard for people to admit that they find pregnancy difficult.

Dittle Mon 06-May-13 13:06:14

Sciatica. I'm 18 and pregnant with my first. I've always wanted a big family but I don't know if I could cope with having another because of the pain I'm in!

ButteryJam Mon 06-May-13 13:15:35

Without doubt, having to depend on others. That really sucks!

As well as that:

1. PGP
2. Big bump
3. Nausea
4. Heartburn

Can't wait to sleep on my stomach!

CareerGirl01 Mon 06-May-13 14:22:44

bicycle like you would love a DC3 but at 42 this will have to be my last pregnancy - left it 4 yrs before trying for DC2. We were only planning on having one because I find pg really tough - like everyone!!
Can't wait to have some champagne though

A while ago for me but as it's on DOTD I'll just add ...

Waiting for hours for ante-natal checks at the hospital.
Just because we're pregnant don't they know we still have a life ! hmm

mamabrownbear Mon 06-May-13 14:54:25

I'm now also adding to my list - when people ask you if you want to meet so and so because they are having a baby too. Look, if all I had in common with my friends was that we all pushed babies out of our vaginas at the same time then life would be very dull. In fact, it would be like talking about this list of things that we all hate and want to move past - why would I want to be friends with someone who I only have horrible things in common with? Just because I'm having a baby doesn't mean I'm in the market for new friends. I'm sure I will make some but they will be friendships based on humour and "so what do you do with your life" rather than "how horrible was it for you" and "what's your little darlings bowel movement like?" Argh! It makes me so mad....

Rico08 Mon 06-May-13 18:15:31

mamabrownbear so very true.

I'm not anti-social but don't want to join all the 100's of mornings/clubs/groups as the health visitor wanted me to. "you'll meet lots of new mums" the health visitor suggested. I know loads of mums, even some with new babies...I've got a four year old.

Vulval varicose veins - Zulu, washngo, anyone else - any tips? I'm only 29 weeks and I feel like my labia have their own gravitational field already. It's just going to get worse, isn't it??

kipperandtiger Mon 06-May-13 20:13:12

Going to the theatre (last few chances to do it before baby is born!) and going out with people who have no kids and no wish to indulge in the topic helped! With others, it is worth starting your conversation with the exclamation "I am so fed up of birthing stories/unsolicited advice/interfering comments/etc that [name some other groups of people but not the people you are with] insist on telling me. They are driving me mad; I'd like to hear about something else besides giving birth." might help! I think sometimes women/parents with kids think it's their duty to give (unsolicited) "advice" in the form of stories/anecdotes??! Wishing you all the best, OP!

cupcake78 Mon 06-May-13 20:29:26

33weeks and not loving it. This will be my last.

Burping, heartburn and indigestion.
Spd, morning sickness, absolute exhaustion, unable to move (do much) due to bumps size and weight, people openly discussing my shape and size, bump touching. I can't wait to be mobile, not feel sick, have a bit of energy and hopefully be able to walk again.

I really really can't wait to simply be comfortable.

I will however really miss having ds and dh getting excited when they feel and see baby moving. Feeling baby rub up against my hand and play in the bath with the soap. I will really miss only getting up to wee a few times in the night instead of feeds and nappy changing every 2hrs etc for the first few weeks or months. I will also really miss the relative peace and quiet of no baby crying etc.

Kt8791 Mon 06-May-13 20:33:06

Overdue at the moment. Baby number 3 and this is my last. Each pregnancy seems to get harder.

Won't miss: dribbling in sleep, heartburn, and piles:-( really looking forward to having more energy!

Moomoomee Mon 06-May-13 20:47:20

I don't miss seemingly always carrying round a little tube of my wee everywhere.

I miss feeling my bump and seeing my baby on a scan for the first time.

Sparklyboots Mon 06-May-13 21:07:47

I'm due in two days. I will not miss having a nosebleed every time I lie down, or that waddle thing, or BH for moving at more than 1 mile an hour, or teeny tiny wees that I have woken up desperate for, or the Whole Fucking World regarding my medical status as their business. I am very much looking forward to being able to catch my 2 year old, and carry him in public without piteous/ frankly appalled looks from the aforementioned Whole Fucking World.

ZuluWarrior Mon 06-May-13 21:46:35

Hmm. No tips about the vulval varicosities really, except to say that they went completely after baby no 2. Can't comment on whether they'll got after baby no 3 yet! Oh, and never, NEVER, look down there with a mirror grin. Apparently there's some support girdle thing you can buy but I'm far too Scottish tight to fork out for one. Oh, the aching though.

kylekennedy Mon 06-May-13 23:17:18

I will not miss the pelvic pain, back pain nd just feeling uncomfortable all the time while being pregnant! Went off so much food and stopped eating cheese due to visual distubances and can't bring myself to eat it again. My boy was worth all thise
Months of pain and discomfort grin x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now