Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Who has a glass of wine? No bashing please

(187 Posts)
Mamabear12 Sun 05-May-13 14:09:21

I have a glass of wine once a week. A small glass and I feel guilty about this. Although, the midwife said this is fine. With my first I had a glass prob once a month. I was more strict. Also, this time around I have coffee (one cup made at home) every other day. I feel guilty about that as well.

Please list how often you drink either wine or coffee. If you don't drink either at all, no need to post please.

Didn't have a drink last night but today has been awful both dc have been just terrible so i'm having a bottle and am happy smile

TrixieLox Fri 10-May-13 13:37:39

I reallllly don't think the NHS guidelines for pregnant women are an attempt to 'control women'. ;-) I mean, really?! What about the guidelines for healthy prostrates / testicles etc for men? Is that an attempt to control men?

They're guidelines. That's all. Really no need to read into them.

RoxyLady Fri 10-May-13 14:31:09

I didnt bash. I gave my opinion for myself.

It's my first pregnancy, and I have the odd glass of wine and (more than) the odd cup of coffee. Feel guilty about it all the time. Especially as, in general, I have no idea what I'm doing! Pregnancy is the hardest thing I've ever done!

MrsBri Fri 10-May-13 14:35:05

I've had a handful of glasses of 4% stuff since the start of the second trimester, which coincided nicely with Christmas!

And I did have about 3 glasses of wine on my wedding day at 3+5 as I figured it was too early to matter, though I didn't drink again in my first trimester.

I don't drink often at all, but figure the odd glass of low alcohol is fine.

I have about 3 cups of tea a day, but don't like coffee. I've not changed to decaf.

TalkUsernameYoudLike Fri 10-May-13 15:08:34

Throughout my pregnancy I probably had about 4 small glasses of wine overall.

Featherbag Fri 10-May-13 16:58:16

Roxy, go back to polishing your halo, I think you got a bit of smug on it.

RoxyLady Fri 10-May-13 18:40:39

What is there to be smug about? Odd comment

Joskar Fri 10-May-13 22:41:13

Please don't feel guilty. It's not as if you are on the batter every night. I have the odd unit here and there and I'm certain it's not harming anything. I have this good book by Dr Linda Geddes called Bumpology that lays out the scientific evidence about booze, caffeine, cheese etc. See if you can get a hold of it because it is very reassuring.

olivertheoctopus Fri 10-May-13 22:51:27

I can't keep up with the changing advice about alcohol consumption in pregnancy. One glass a week is fine and not going to lead to foetal alcohol syndrome. I don't drink tea or coffee anyway (don't like it) and have a completely non scientifically based theory about Diet Coke causing my recurrent mc's but post 20w, Diet Coke is fair game and I drink 1 - 2 cans a day.

Queazy Sat 11-May-13 09:11:31

I gave up coffee and wine until 16 weeks. Then had occasional coffee. After 20 weeks I now have a coffee every morning and one glass of wine at the weekend. I really look forward to both. I'm more worried about my chocolate and cake consumption to be honest...I've been really bad at stuffing myself with empty calories. Thank god for vitamins smile xx

DietPregnancyResearcher Mon 22-Jul-13 18:02:43

Hello,

My name is Vicki and I am a researcher at Oxford Brookes University interested in dietary intake and alcohol consumption during pregnancy. I am currently recruiting pregnant women to take part in a dietary survey. It takes about 20 minutes to complete and you could win £50!

If you know anyone who is pregnant who is not on this thread then please forward this link to them.

Please visit the website to take the survey or for more information www.eatingandexpecting.co.uk

Thank you! : )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now