Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Brown discharge 6 weeks - advice pleas

(40 Posts)
Danlsb Sat 04-May-13 07:58:06

Hello. I am 6 weeks pregnant and Thursday evening I suddenly felt funny hotflush and as if I needed the toilet. When I wiped there was light brown discharge. Freaked out - went to lie down and drank lots of fluid as I had not drunk much during the day. Next day at work discharge darker brown and a little on pad. Came home early and went to bed as discharge less when not walking about. My doctor is closed Fridays and with bank holiday not open til Tuesday. I don't have a midwife yet. Phoned epu who said it's fairly normal and to come in Tuesday morning if still worried. Or go to a&e if it becomes red bleeding. Sorry for long post just so worried I might loose baby :-( is brown discharge really normal?

wifey6 Mon 06-May-13 08:59:29

Hi OP, no personal experience but my friend experienced the same as you are describing & she has PCOS.
She is now 16+ weeks & they couldn't explain what the brown discharge etc was.
Hoping you are ok today & that all is well for you at your next scan thanks

selsigfach Mon 06-May-13 12:57:46

I didn't find it helpful to be dismissed by friends/doctor/MN - "light bleeding is completely normal, don't worry" - and then not be remotely prepared for when the worst did happen.

Dusty04 Tue 07-May-13 13:42:32

I am 6 weeks pregnant too and experienced the brown discharge last night. I rang my local EPU who said they cant scan me til 8 weeks and booked me in but brown is better than red and to keep an eye on it. I have had some cramping on one side but they don't seem too concerned about this. Roll on the scan next Thursday!

SirChenjin Tue 07-May-13 19:27:21

How did things go today Danlsb? flowers

ChocolateCremeEggBag Tue 07-May-13 20:09:47

Hi Danis - hoping your scan went well today?

Danlsb Wed 08-May-13 14:28:01

Hello I thought I would update you ( as someone may find my experience reasuring) I went to the EPU on Tuesday but they could not see me without a GP letter. They booked me in for the next day under the previso that I call my GP and get them to contact the EPU. So I called my doctor straight away andvthe said they would do it rang again in the afternoon and they assured me they had done it. Arrived at the epu for my 1120 scan only to find the GP had not been in contact and then when the nurse called them they denied ever speaking to me! The staff at chasefarm EPU were fantastic they managed to get the doctor to fax them and after 2 stressful hours I got a scan. They tried an external but could not see anything so had to have an internal scan ( which I was suprised to find did not hurt) and there was little baby with a strong heart beat. All looks good. They confirmed that bleeding on early pregnancy is common. Thank you all for your support :-)

PinkParsnips Wed 08-May-13 18:24:15

Great news!!

EeyoreIsh Wed 08-May-13 18:26:28

Great news smile

toffeelolly Wed 08-May-13 18:34:17

That's great new's .brew

blondebaby111 Wed 08-May-13 19:45:41

mmmm, if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all perhaps..selsigfach!!! op doesn't need to hear comments like this....perfectly normal OP...just part of the implanting...stay positive xx

180209cooper Wed 08-May-13 19:56:43

Great newssmile

blondebaby111 Wed 08-May-13 20:36:22

Great news op, I didn't see this when I posted earlier smile x

SirChenjin Wed 08-May-13 22:19:55

Oh that's great news! flowers

ChocolateCremeEggBag Thu 09-May-13 23:22:13

Great news - the fanny cam really isn't that bad is it! Looks awful when they put the condom onto the mahoosive wand thing but really is just the tip that goes in

Really pleased everything is ok with your little bean

Dominique1 Tue 17-Sep-13 22:42:48

Dear all
I'm between 5-6 weeks in my first pregnancy and this morning experienced brown discharge and this has been ongoing all day. I spoke to my GP who said it was probably ok but just to monitor it and let them know if there were any other changes. I was devastated, assuming the worst but my GP and this forum have made me feel so much better and I am thankful that there is somewhere for people to share these concerns, stories advice etc.
So thank you to you all for sharing, I am praying that everything goes well with this pregnancy but know anything can happen during these early days but have certainly gained some reassurance from this group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now