Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Cravings. How far would you go?

(49 Posts)
FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 07:25:35

I'm currently hiding (from dd) in the kitchen eating another rocket ice lolly.

I never thought I'd be hiding to eat them. But it's not even 7.30 and dd isn't allowed them for breakfast. double standards or what grin n

And what on earth could be in an ice lolly that I could crave?

ChaChaDigregorio Sat 04-May-13 07:37:38

I went as far as this...
1. Chewing my hair and swallowing it and pulling it back out (why why why???)
2. Making several special trips to town to inhale the cheap new shoe smell at shoe express
3. Buying several sponges to chew throughout the day

Bloody lunatic. All stopped as soon as I gave birth. Am the least compulsive person in the world, thoroughly bizarre experience.

cogitosum Sat 04-May-13 07:37:43

The whole way through I've liked sucking on ice! A lolly is sugar and ice so two lovely things!

Enjoy your rocket!

Enjoy your rocket smile, it is the sugar in them and the thirst quenched feeling it gives i imagine.
My favs with dd1 were beef hula hoop's eaten with minstrels in the same mouthfull grin and with all of my other dc Lucozade and mint aero balls, couldn't get enough of them!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 07:53:20

I've always had food aversions before. But 3 ice lollys by this time of the morning is a whole new experience. grin

Hair and sponges chacha shock

theboob Sat 04-May-13 07:55:39

I have gone as far as dry mud and coal had a taste of washing powder too but decided that it smelt better than it tasted . Damp smells were a passion too

HeffalumpTheFlump Sat 04-May-13 07:57:00

I don't know if any of you have had lift lemon tea (reduced sweetness, I'm into SOUR!) well you are supposed to put 2 or 3 spoonfuls in a mug of hot water... I was doing 6 or 7 to make it sour enough. My DH tried it and nearly threw up. So apparently that's not normal....

wispa31 Sat 04-May-13 08:37:28

ive been chomping on those magnum inifinty lollies, the chocolate ones. getting through 2-3 boxes a week. half price in tescos

on wed after my big scan i took dp for lunch and we ended up in this wee italian place. i had the most amazing bowl of pasta carbonara with pancetta!! full of salty loveliness!! been wanting it ever since so drove there last night and got some to take home!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 11:42:15

Ooh salty carbonara sounds delish wispa

My craving is ice to. I been hiding in the kitchen eating lollies for the same reason. I also just like plain ice but when it's not fully frozen so the water is really cold to. I hide out the way and eat it DH calls me the secret ice eater. Just had a thought need to put the tray back in the freezer

MarvellousYou Sat 04-May-13 12:24:58

FWIW An ice craving is a symptom of anaemia, have you ladies had your blood coumt done recently? I was crunching on ice chips for a while before I found out I was anaemic, on iron tabs now. Craving ice and bleach, oh god the smell of bleach <heavenly>

MarvellousYou Sat 04-May-13 12:34:42

Just to clarify, the SMELL of bleach not drinking it blush

ReikiMummy Sat 04-May-13 12:35:33

Yes actually*Marvellousyou*.... come to think of it am loving the smell of Cif actifizz at the moment!!! And that may also explain the newly appointed bleach/water mix in the spray bottle that now lives in the bathroom since the start of the week before last! Daily squirts around the shower/bath!

GeordieCherry Sat 04-May-13 12:38:47

I love the smell of tyres & if I could get a clean mini tyre to chew, I really would

I was a bit distracted in the garage yesterday...

I've always liked the smell but it would be a perfect excuse to give one a luck wouldn't it?? grin

wispa31 Sat 04-May-13 12:45:34

frustrated - twas tasty!! smile
i craved iced drinks when i was really ill with hyperemesis, just before i went into hospital, reckon it was because i was dehydrated. not been bothered since to ice my drinks.

lovemybabyboy Sat 04-May-13 12:52:38

I can't stop eating frozen raspberries! Think I will have to have some now actually!

Marv, did not know it was connected. Yeah my iron is low and on iron liquid.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 13:38:06

Ooh I didn't know that marv

KobayashiMaru Sat 04-May-13 13:41:18

You didn't know it because it isn't remotely true. hmm A craving for ice is not a symptom of anaemia.

Gonnabmummy Sat 04-May-13 13:50:28

Mars bars !
But a mars a day helps us work rest and play lol

Rico08 Sat 04-May-13 13:51:00

geordiecherry I've got a craving for rubber too, I love the smell of tyres (or certain types of rubber) only thing is the smell makes me want to lick/chew them!

It got so bad I went to have a sniff/llick of the hot water bottle and was absolutely gutted when it was not the right material, it's more plasticy than rubber.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 13:57:10

Oh rico hot water bottle licking is wrong, it really is a horrible plastic-y rubber, tastes just like it smells.
Tyres are a whole different rubber, and a much nicer smell. I have 4 tyres in my garage. Shame I'm not craving them.

Rico08 Sat 04-May-13 14:02:10

Lol, I know now after trying the hot water bottle grin it just wasn't right.

Tyres are defo the best

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 14:08:13

Strangely rico I don't think I was pregnant when I licked a hot water bottle. blush

honey86 Sat 04-May-13 15:02:44

id kill for celery right mow... blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now