Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pineapple & curried out. Walked miles, had sex. Now taking bets!

(135 Posts)
mildred37 Wed 01-May-13 20:05:27

So. I'm fed up of having twinges, being told baby is engaged and that I'm huge or too big for dates angry. Have walked literally miles today up and down hills (back & legs didn't thank me for that), have been eating pineapple every day for weeks and taking raspberry leaf capsules, and tonight had a vindaloo & DH and I have DTD for the 3rd time this week. Any takers on ideas how long it will take for DC1 to finally make an appearance?!?! So desperate to get this baby out!!!!!!

mildred37 Wed 15-May-13 11:32:18

Still nothing today. Having aches/pains but nothing substantial. How's everyone else doing? Any arrivals yet? X

AmberSocks Wed 15-May-13 14:04:53

nothing works unless the babies ready.dont waste your time.relax.enjoy it.

mummymeister Wed 15-May-13 14:15:02

all 3 of mine were overdue by exactly the same amount of time. Couldn't be induced due to allergy issues. my midwife recommended the "3 hot B's" approach - a hot/warm bath, a hot balti and a hot bonk! always worked for me. have to agree with amber though. please enjoys these last few days without a LO. once they come along nothing is ever the same again. good luck to all the ladies in waiting.

tasmaniandevilchaser Wed 15-May-13 15:23:46

I'm feeling fed up, 40+8, I know I should be enjoying these last few days with just 1 DC but I don't want to be induced again. But I do want this baby out! I am having a good weep every day and going up the stairs instead of taking the lift and I'm having lots of poo / wind cramps? Mw appt tomorrow, reluctantly will have the sweep.....

Did a sweep work for anyone?

amazingmumof6 Wed 15-May-13 19:54:38

I recommend eating tiramisu - I had 3 spoonfuls the 4 minutes later my waters broke! grin

grin but also sympathies to you impatient ladies.

Some of us cook them longer than others - I speak from experience (DS1 T+15, DS3 T+10). And the end to my overdue pregnancies was far, far less stressful than DS2's premature arrival at 31 weeks.
DS4 arrived on his due date - clever boy!

Good luck to you all xx!

rootypig Wed 15-May-13 22:35:02

I always recommend eating tiramisu grin
to be on the safe side, take a bath in it grin grin
fucking luff tiramisu

do enjoy your last nights of sleep Mildred, I haven't slept through in 28 weeks <<hollow laugh>>

amazingmumof6 Wed 15-May-13 22:38:18

rootypig I buy the tesco's own tiramisu, family size. although family sees nothing but the box...grin it's all mine <my precious!>

which one do you eat?

Smudging Wed 15-May-13 22:43:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sweep worked for me at 40 + 9. Contractions started 24hours later.
Baby born at 40 + 12, lovely labour. If long.

Being overdue was horrendous. Cried all the time and had to send my dogs to my mum's as I couldn't stand them 'looking at me' (went a bit nuts I think). Within about an hour of delivery, felt 100% myself again, was great. Hang on in there ladies, tis worth it in the end [hugs all round]

CheerfulYank Wed 15-May-13 22:59:07

I'm 39 weeks tomorrow, been having contractions on and off for a few weeks and am dilated to a 4.

COME ON BABY!

KatOD Wed 15-May-13 22:59:41

I went out and planted 90 bulbs in the garden, that worked. Now when I see all the flowers (DD is 18mo) it makes me extra happy. Good luck, annoying isn't it?!

ButteryJam Wed 15-May-13 23:43:25

CheerfulYank, how do you know you are dilated to a 4?

Bogeyface Thu 16-May-13 02:10:02

I know someone who tried the 9 pineapples thing. She got to 7 and threw up rather spectacularly! This was on another MN-esque website (no, not that one!) and it became law that pineapple does not work and should never be recommended!

My sweep worked with DC6. My MW came and did the sweep the night before (anyone remember "used gloves in the dishwasher"?!) and I got twinges all night that really kicked in at about 8am I was desperately trying to get hold of DH. Finally got hold of him and he came back as quick as he could with both of us in a panic as previously my longest labour had been 8 hours and my shortest, DC5, had been 3 hours.

He got home just after 11 am and I gave birth.......at half past 9 at night. Thanks DD! 14 fecking hours because she decided that bungee jumping with the cord was more fun than getting born grin

CheerfulYank Thu 16-May-13 02:48:28

My doctor checked on Monday ButteryJam. smile

purrpurr Thu 16-May-13 03:02:55

40+11 today, had a second sweep yesterday afternoon. My cervix appears to have done absolutely naff all over the past week, just sat there, being all not effaced and belligerent and shit. In my head my cervix has a cats bum mouth expression and folded arms. It might even be Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad, all lanky arrogant teenage boy, going around saying things like hey yo, bitch and punching people in the face whilst cooking crystal meth. Bad baaaad cervix.

Up with some really horrendous heartburn now and feeling rather miserable. I always, always manage to think 'is it heartburn? Or is it a heart attack? OMG I'm dying, I'm going to die, it's a heart attack, oh god, oh god, quick, drink some milk, oh - ohhh that's better, okay maybe a little less with the death and a bit more with the milk...' Drama llama. It's difficult to be sane at 3am with a tiny baby's foot wedged in your ribs...

CheerfulYank Thu 16-May-13 04:34:38

Lol at your Jesse Pinkman cervix grin Poor you!

I've been having terrible heartburn too...it's almost an icy feeling.

MrsAmaretto Thu 16-May-13 04:51:09

I have a cervix like you purrpurr! Getting it checked later today (40+10) & if its still useless and unchanged getting booked for a section sad

Quite upset as am at a hospital 200 miles from my home, have been here for 3 weeks, fuck all has happened apart from ds1 being all upset & tearful and feeling like I should just have had an elective weeks ago. Oh and dh goes back to work in a week. So all in all, not a stress less wait and feel like a failure.

bigbuttons Thu 16-May-13 06:49:05

good luck all of you. Out of my 6 dc 3 were 3 weeks over due. It was quite hideous. Nothing shifted them!

Zorra Thu 16-May-13 07:10:35

I'm with you on the heartburn, 39 weeks today and have started waking up every night between 2-4 (and DS is always up at 5.30, Woop) trying to work out if my oesophogus is actually being eroded. Ugh.

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 16-May-13 08:45:15

Jesse pinkman cervix!! grin think mine might be miss haversham from great expectations, very withdrawn and isolated (posterior) and quite frankly a bitch.

40+9 and induction looking more likely and if it will get this baby out, more attractive by the day

purrpurr Thu 16-May-13 08:57:12

MrsAmaretto you poor thing sad. Will you have friends or family that can drop by once your DH goes back to work? What a rotten time of it you've had - I bloody well hate hospitals, I'm surprised you're still functioning.

Zorra that's exactly it! I don't get how it can possibly hurt so much without doing some kind of damage - the human body is obviously a lot more resilient than we think!

Devilchaser Miss Haversham! I proper guffawed at that and nearly lost my breakfast, thank you. I'm booked in for an induction on Friday evening at 6pm, I don't get it, why would they want me in for then? Surely they won't have adequate staff to induce me then? Plus, isn't it at least acknowledged in medical circles that starting off labour at nighttime is BAD for the mum-to-be as they lose out on sleep they otherwise could've had if they'd started the labour off in the morning? AND My DH will have to leave the ward at 9pm. I'm just dreading it. I hate hate hate hospitals. I'm really trying to talk myself into being positive and relaxed about it. Aaargh.

dowhat Thu 16-May-13 08:57:31

Oh thank you for this thread - feels I'm not alone in my pissedoffedness. Currently 40+11, have walked (and have major chafing to show for it), rasp leaf tea, bum friends the size of grapes that the midwife says are going nowhere until after baby born due to increased blood flow and pressure in my nethers, curries, gym ball bouncing and not a single sign or twinge. Not DTD because noone is going anywhere near my bum friends they're so painful. So another day of daytime tv and bouncing on gym ball to look foward to. Hmmph...

melika Thu 16-May-13 09:03:03

Did any of you watch the programme 'Skint' on channel 4?

Heavily pregnant lady on a trampoline, bouncing up and down with all her other kids, looked like she had it the next day. And the baby was perfect!!

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 16-May-13 10:10:21

dowhat bum friends!!! that has cheered me up. I have bum friends too, thankfully they are not painful, maybe I am just tough like a rhino down there??!

mrsamaretto (my favourite drink btw!) sounds really rough being so far from home. I think it'd be quite reasonable to march into the theatre and shout "get this baby out now!" No sane person argues with an angry, heavily pg woman.

waves to zorra heartburn is a bitch, can you palm DS off on your Mum during the day so you can have a nap?

purr if it all kicks off then surely your DH can stay, you'd have a room? Good luck for tomorrow, hope it all goes very quickly.

melika I have very vivid imaginatory powers but I really really cannot imagine getting on a trampoline at this point in time (40+9) I might knock the earth off its axis fgs! That woman was playing with fire!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now