Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What did you do?

(35 Posts)
laurajane89 Wed 01-May-13 12:04:04

Really want baby out now instead of the induction that my consultant wants, is there anythink that may help move things along or are they just old wives tales

weeblueberry Fri 03-May-13 18:24:03

Yep re: the 8 pineapples. And it's the same with the sex - the hormone they use to induce you has the 'sperm' in SUCH high quantities that you'd pretty much have to go at it every hour for about 4 days.

The only thing that's been 'proven' to work despite what people say, is a chemical induction. If anything else did, everyone would do it.

It's virtually impossible to say 'X works' because how would you know that you weren't due to go into labour that day/night anyway? confused

pod3030 Fri 03-May-13 22:23:34

i had a hot curry and then went to a party where they played drum and base. waters went an hour after i got into bed that night.

KobayashiMaru Sat 04-May-13 15:27:42

You'd need to eat about three truckloads of pineapple to get the same amount as in one syringe. It's pretty much a myth. nothing is going to work at 37 weeks unless it's already starting anyway.

Racheld33 Sat 04-May-13 15:35:43

Hi Laura, I was pegging out my washing at 39 + 5 when i saw some weeds in my flower borders (!) I got down on my knees and started pulling at these really stubborn weeds, and on the third pull felt a sharp pain (!) I quickly thought, better not be doing that again in my condition, and as I stood up, got my first contraction, DS born 6 hours later! Good luck smile

MummyJetsetter Sat 04-May-13 18:34:48

It's meant to take 8 whole pineapples to induce you and sperm is meant to help too. Raspberry leaf tea is meant to be helpful in later stages of labour I believe but doesn't help to induce. What about burning clary sage oil, it's meant to cause your womb to contract.

Unfortunately though I do agree with kobyashi, if your body is doing it's job properly you won't go in to labour until you're ready no matter what you do. And to be honest if you'd be happy to induce yourself using one of these methods you might as well have the injection to do it because you're trying to get started unnaturally before your body is ready anyway.

I hope you get your baby out soon nice and healthy either way! x

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 19:48:50

hmm rach I've spent the afternoon weeding all of my raised beds. Instead of my usual lazy afternoon of MN Unfortunately nothing. Zilch. Not even a mini-twinge.

Racheld33 Sat 04-May-13 20:35:50

Sorry frustrated hope it all start soon! On a positive note, bet your garden looks lovely now grin

laurajane89 Sat 04-May-13 21:22:45

I have been on a long walk today, bounced on the ball for ages and eat a curry and still nothing, well ive started getting a sharp under my bump but not sure if that means anythink confused

Mamabear12 Sat 04-May-13 22:33:45

I drank raspberry tea a few weeks before due date (whenever u r supposed to start, forget now as that was over a year ago) and walked a lot. Baby came one day early. I had 12 hour straight forward labour/ delivery. I read somewhere the raspberry tea also helps makes your contractions more effective. And boy let me tell you, my contractions were very effective and painful!! Lol. After two hours I had regular contractions, water broke, went to hospital and was 4 cms dialted! My whole thing would have been faster if I didn't get epidural at 8cm (which was like heaven). Bc after epidural my contractions stopped at 8cms and I had to get pitocin to start them again.

Good luck and drink raspberry tear if u haven't yet. I plan to do the same for my second when I approach the weeks before due date.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 23:08:50

Garden is fab now thanks rach, I can relax in it for the long weekend, without feeling like I need to do something to it.

I'm in no rush, this little one will move when he's ready. finished gardening before I'd read your post, so didnt deliberately weed to start labour, I couldn't put off the weeding any longer

just jealous that I do the whole garden and nothing, and you pull 3 weeds and whollah. I guess it illustrates that what works for one person doesnt work for all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now