Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 4

(580 Posts)
rosiedays Wed 01-May-13 09:30:08

as i filled the last post on old thread it seemed only polite to start the new one. hope i've done it right confused

To those who have just found this thread, Welcome and congratulations on you BFP. please feel free to join this amazing supportive group of 40+ mums to be. A very nonjudgmental and friendly place to hang out and share your pregnancy.

Blundermum 40, DC2 due early May?
Lotsofcheese, 40/41, DC2 (girl) due May (DS 4y)
Onemoreforgoodmeasure, 40, DC1 due 06/06
cyclecamper, 42, DC1 due 14/06
Newchoos, 40, DC2, due early July
Blueeyes1970,42, DC1 due on 8th July
BadMissM, 45, DC2, due 22/7
Rosiedays, 43 DD3 due 23rd July(ish)
ScubaSarah, nrly 40, DC1?, due July 22-Aug 1
Iclaudius,45, due 29/07
LottieH, 44, DC5, due mid August
Sparklysapphire, 44, DC2, due 28/8
BuzzBee, 40, DC2, due Sept
Notsoold, 41,DC3 due end of October
Animol, 42, DC5 due 13th
November

BriePate Thu 17-Apr-14 19:08:07

Jbrd I'm so sorry to hear you are still being let down like this - it's just causing needless, prolonged worry for you. I hope that the delay is caused by something benign like the Easter holidays being upon us and not that the test hasn't worked. What would be their reasoning for the test not working again? Surely an expensive test like that shouldn't just fail you twice? So unfair.

Thinking of you flowers and I really hope you get some better news this evening.

JBrd Thu 17-Apr-14 13:09:45

Brie That's brilliant news, fantastic! You must be so relieved, now you can go and have a lovely Easter break tbusmile

I have to admit that I am very tbuenvy! I have just been told that my results still haven't arrived, and that the most likely reason for that delay is that the test didn't work... Great.
They will call me again this evening for a further update, but I am starting to lose hope now that this will work out. Looks as if it's going to be CVS or amnio for me after all - I had so hoped I'd get away without doing it tbusad

BriePate Thu 17-Apr-14 10:42:04

Just thought I'd share, blood test results came back with 1:3390 chance of Downs. Thank goodness! I know these tests (especially quad test) can be limited and I could always be that 1, but it's good news and now I don't have to face the threat of amino.

Jbrd hope your good results come through soon too and you can finally relax.

Happy Easter everyone tbusmile

BriePate Tue 15-Apr-14 07:51:06

Thanks for asking notaflaming and Irish results still haven't arrived, but am taking heart in the fact that no news is good news! Jbrd hope you have some good news very soon with your results.

Hope you're all doing well and enjoying the sunshine.

Irishmammybread Tue 15-Apr-14 07:20:43

Congratulations guthriegirl and a big welcome to the world to your little girl!
Very encouraging to hear that the induction worked so well and so quickly too!
Did your results come through yesterday briepate ?
When are your Harmony results back JBrd ?
Hi to everyone else x

notaflamingclue Tue 15-Apr-14 06:52:44

Congratulations gurthriegirl!!! No pain relief.....go you! Hope everyone is doing well thanks

How are you briepate? Aren't you due for your results soon?

BriePate Mon 14-Apr-14 22:28:12

Congratulations Guthrie thanks and welcome to Baby guthrie! What lovely news! Good to hear you had a nice, quick labour (after an induction no less!) although sorry to hear Mr Guthrie missed it. Hope you are both doing well and will be safely home soon. x

JBrd Mon 14-Apr-14 22:16:52

Guthrie That is fantastic news, congratulations and well done! A warm welcome to the world for guthriegirl thanks Great to hear that there are no issues with the weight after all.

No pain relief shock Wow, you are a hero! Certainly gives me hope that it might all happen for me one day, too.

Hope you are all doing well and that you recover quickly xx

guthriegirl Mon 14-Apr-14 19:58:40

Hi everyone! A wee Guthrie girl was born on sat after a 29 min delivery. So quick husband didn't make it to hospital and much to my horror no time for pain relief. I was admitted previous day to be given pessary to prime cervix. Guess it worked! After endless scans due to weight concerns baby Guthrie was a healthy 7lbs 8! Thanks for all the positivity guys. Knowing other 40+ pregnant women were out there helped enormously. Good luck to everyone! Will keep an eye to see how everyone's doing!

notsoold Thu 10-Apr-14 13:17:02

Dats...congratulations!!! A baby girl!!! Oohhh how lovely...
Netguru...good luck!!!

Hello to everyone else!!!
Back to eat avocados with Joe!! Xxxx

BriePate Wed 09-Apr-14 11:19:48

rosiedays just noticed you started this thread! Can't believe how long it's been going! Congratulations on your little one and glad to hear she's doing so well.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone biscuit

BriePate Wed 09-Apr-14 11:16:04

Hi everyone especially dats today - thinking of you!

Irishmammy results should come by weekend, Monday at lastest. My star of a MW has said she will call me as soon as they come in so I can relax or start to get my head around what to do next. The thing is, I don't think I will go for the amino. And unless something terrible/life-threatening is found at the anomaly scan, I don't think I would terminate. I know DH probably feels differently, and maybe he's right as we have a large family, but still. I think the fact I was a special needs teacher in my former life I see things a bit differently. Glad all is well with you. Hope the LO puts in an appearance soon and you can avoid the induction. So exciting that all these babies are being born!

notaflaming grin at all the POAS! I was the same! How did women cope without scans and dopplers all those years ago?! Actually, I read a really interesting book about the history of birth through the ages, which made for shocking reading and definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it now (not a recommended text to read in pregnancy though!)

notaflamingclue Wed 09-Apr-14 08:32:40

Sorry was on phone on last post and posted too early.

Good luck netguru for today. Soon you'll be meeting your DC.

notaflamingclue Wed 09-Apr-14 07:06:48

Woohoo congrats dats how lovely!!!
guthrie I got loads of skin tags during my last pregnancy. Attractive isn't it! Good luck for Friday.
tigger I'm exactly the same. 8 weeks today and symptoms so up and down I keep POAS blush

rosiedays Tue 08-Apr-14 22:56:27

Congratulations dats and good luck netguru
Hi jbrd smile
lovely to see this thread moving again. Congratulations everyone. Xx
Rosebud is nearly 9 months now and the most amazing bundle of smiles and mischief. She is my sunshine. Xx

Irishmammybread Tue 08-Apr-14 22:44:29

Congratulations on your little girl dats !
Hope your section goes well tomorrow Netguru.
Pity they weren't able to do the sweep guthrie but hopefully the induction with pessary will get things going on Friday. I had a sweep with DD2 and labour started within 48hrs, but I was already over a week overdue then so I might have been going to start anyway!
Brie how long do you have to wait for the quad test results?
JBrd is it next week you get your Harmony results? Hopefully you will get reassurance and not have to have CVS or amnio. I knew I wouldn't want further testing when I had the triple test but because the age related risk at my age was 1 in 30 I wanted some indication if there was likely to be a problem. My risk came back as 1 in 320 and as there were no anatomical abnormalities on the scan I was happy with that.
Hope you can relax and enjoy the wedding at the weekend!
Tigger in early pregnancy I was either sick or ravenously hungry, symptoms came and went. You'll probably be feeling rubbish again tomorrow!
I'm 37w5d now. My induction is booked for my due date but I'll see the consultant again next week at 39 weeks to make sure everything is still ok. I just want LO here now, but am kept busy with the DDs being off school and am looking forward to DS coming home for Easter.

BriePate Tue 08-Apr-14 22:27:45

Congratulations dats! How lovely and enjoy all the newborn cuddles!

tigger8 I also had symptom-free days in the 1st trimester, and instead of enjoying them and getting lots done, I worried something was wrong! Until the next day or so when they came back. It's easy to say, but try not to worry as it is normal for symptoms to come and go. Also I think the placenta starts to kick in around 8 weeks-ish? As for sickness, I found that eating hourly helped (before my blood sugar levels dropped at all), even if I wasn't hungry.

guthrie glad you have some time to yourselves before it all happens on Friday. I think it's amazing you've worked to the end like this. Enjoy! No idea about skin tgs but I imagine like everything else pg-related they will go afterwards??

Jbrd that website looks great - thank you. I will hopefully get my results by Monday and will definitely enter them into that website. I know that DS is more common for older mothers, but it does seem ridiculous that the age factor just seems to skew the results so much and cause needless worry for so many women. Hope you manage to find something to wear for the wedding - accessories are a good plan! Or maternity dress sales??

Hope everyone else is well smile

JBrd Tue 08-Apr-14 21:55:09

Congratulations dats That is so lovely thanks Hope you are all recovering well, enjoy the newborn cuddles!

Brie Have a look at this website. It's a trisomy calculator for combined risk that allows you to enter each factor independently, and then you can play around with different settings, ie. use a low risk age to see how much the combined risk changes. Now I don't know how accurate this is, but it's quite depressingfascinating what happens if you take 10 or 20 years off with the age...

tigger Totally normal. For the first 12 weeks, I'd have days where I was bursting with energy, then the next I'd barely make it out of bed. The up and down is almost more exhausting than the actual sickness...well, almost. You just never know what to expect! In my case, all I knew was that I usually felt worse on weekends, when I had made lots of plans for things I wanted/needed to do. Try not to worry!

I am currently worrying about the weekend - we are invited to a wedding, but I have put on quite a lot of weight in the last few weeks, so now I'm thinking uh-oh, do I actually have a dress that still fits me?!? I might have to resort to one of my stretchy work dresses and tart it up a bit with accessories etc. Argh!

guthriegirl Tue 08-Apr-14 21:44:24

Congratulations. dats! Fantastic news! Hope you are recovering!

Try not to worry*tigger8*. It's normal( in my experience) for symptoms to be all over the place especially in the first trimester.

My sweep didn't happen today. Cervix was high and closed so doc thought it was pointless. Getting admitted on Fri for the pessary part of induction and will have waters broken/ drip on sat. To be honest I'm quite glad I've got a few days to sort myself out. Only stopped work on Fri so a few days to potter round house and spend some final one to one time withy son are really welcome. Had a new pregnancy symptom last night. Discovered a multitude of skin tags on my neck and torso. I look like a sprouting potato. Lovely. Anyone had this? Does it clear up after delivery? I certainly hope so.

Off to bed now. Have painters coming in tomorrow ( my dh and I are last minute type people ! ) so will need to be up at the crack of dawn to get organised.

tigger8 Tue 08-Apr-14 21:02:27

Hi lovelies! All these decisions regarding tests! All this worry. Beginning to relate to you all now as I had my 'Booking In' appointment today. Questions were asked about the various options. Anyway, those decisions I will procrastinate over a little longer. Please may I ask your thoughts about a more pressing worry? Yesterday had to be the worst day ever symptom-wise. Gagging even when I brushed my teeth. Could not endure ANY food passed my lips at all......so damn sick! BUT today, I feel on top of the world, bags of energy and could (and have) eat a horse! I am panicking that something is wrong and that I am about to lose the baby........HELP! I am 8 wks 5 days and have not been symptom-free since finding out that I was pregnant. Is it normal at this stage for symptoms to fluctuate?

dats Tue 08-Apr-14 20:55:44

Hi all,
I have a baby! A pink one! With no name!

Waters went at 5am on Sat (37+4) and she arrived at 8pm. Laboured in the pool, then finished off on dry land (heart rate went a bit high).

Did have to be stitched but all ok and she's the sweetest thing smile

Just wanted to pop on and let you know. Go the old birds!

dats

BriePate Tue 08-Apr-14 12:22:21

Jbrd that's exactly it - getting the breakdown in results to separate the age from the actual screening test. I, too, had a low risk result in my last pg at 38/39, but I get the impression that the "being in your 40s" factor just increases the number regardless of actual risk. Yes, the worry is awful - just want to know either way so we can make decisions. We also have differing opinions on the amino and if it's bad news, what to do next. Hopefully we will all sail through this with good news! Hope your Harmony test showing a low-risk comes through very soon and that you can finally begin to relax a little.

Netguru brilliant that you're nearly there! The best of luck with your CS tomorrow - will be thinking of you with your little DD finally in your arms!

JBrd Mon 07-Apr-14 22:51:07

guthrie Good luck with your sweep! I had two when they tried to get things going with DS - it's not very comfortable, but not the end of the world. Hope it'll work for you!

Good luck netguru, you'll get to meet your little girl soon! I wish I was that far...

Brie The worry is awful, isn't it?! But like flaming says, the age doesn't automatically mean a bad result! With DS, I got a combined risk of over 1:4000 at 38/39, so it's not all doom and gloom.
I just wish there was a way to calculate risk without the age, I have asked, but they wouldn't do it. I know it wouldn't be as accurate, but just out of curiosity. And if they can give you the risk based on age alone or the nuchal alone, then they should be able to do that for all the other measurements, too! Hmph.

I'm also trying not to get ahead of myself and think too much about whether to have CVS/amnio... Very difficult topic, and DH and I don't quite see eye to eye on this (yet). But I think we will only be able to make a decision once we have the Harmony results.

notaflamingclue Mon 07-Apr-14 16:07:25

Good luck Netguru! Wow. Only 2 days to go, I'm jealous! actually I'm not, that would mean I'd have a newborn and a 13mo

Netguru Mon 07-Apr-14 15:33:14

Have been reading but not posting for ages. Didn't want to jinx anything. I'm 44 and 37.5 weeks. Due to have a CS in Wednesday for DC4 - a girl.

Best of luck to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now