Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 4

(628 Posts)
rosiedays Wed 01-May-13 09:30:08

as i filled the last post on old thread it seemed only polite to start the new one. hope i've done it right confused

To those who have just found this thread, Welcome and congratulations on you BFP. please feel free to join this amazing supportive group of 40+ mums to be. A very nonjudgmental and friendly place to hang out and share your pregnancy.

Blundermum 40, DC2 due early May?
Lotsofcheese, 40/41, DC2 (girl) due May (DS 4y)
Onemoreforgoodmeasure, 40, DC1 due 06/06
cyclecamper, 42, DC1 due 14/06
Newchoos, 40, DC2, due early July
Blueeyes1970,42, DC1 due on 8th July
BadMissM, 45, DC2, due 22/7
Rosiedays, 43 DD3 due 23rd July(ish)
ScubaSarah, nrly 40, DC1?, due July 22-Aug 1
Iclaudius,45, due 29/07
LottieH, 44, DC5, due mid August
Sparklysapphire, 44, DC2, due 28/8
BuzzBee, 40, DC2, due Sept
Notsoold, 41,DC3 due end of October
Animol, 42, DC5 due 13th
November

Poppy954 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:24:18

Good luck 4boys.
William - seems that all the advice is different. I've
Had two normal pregnancies and deliveries and all planned natural conceptions ( in first month of trying). And I've been told by one mw that if I was one year younger -39 the consultant wouldn't have even seen me. Happy to take advice though. They do, on the whole, know best.

Animol Fri 13-Sep-13 22:05:10

Haven't been on for ages

Congratulations sparkly

Welcome and congratulations angel

Hello williamina - don't I know you from somewhere?!

I'm 31 weeks now and things seem to be going OK except that getting up out of chair my is getting harder and harder! Next week I've got big scan and the diabetes test and my Mum coming to visit

Isabeller Sat 14-Sep-13 15:08:49

I hope all is going well 4boys (or 5boys now?). I've had an incredibly challenging week since DPs hip replacement last Saturday. I was signed off work by my GP the day before due to feeling too rubbish to cope but had no chance at all to pace myself and I feel really ill a a result. I am clinging to the hope that eventually something will improve <pathetic self-pitying emoticon>.

Unfortunately the too-much-to-cope-with-while-feeling-ill has got me down but I know this is 99% physical so today I have given in and taken all the GPs meds for sickness, headache and other symptoms and I am trying to get on with making my half finished building site nearer to a bedroom smile. Just as well I am unconvinced about avoiding heavy lifting.

My 20 week scan last week with DP in a wheelchair was comical, the baby totally refuses to sit in a good position for scans so I'll have to go back for a couple of the measurements but everything found was fine. Consultant appointment on Monday, must get my head in gear.

angelcocker13 Mon 16-Sep-13 06:57:31

So saw the midwife for 1st time last week & also had our scan!!! Even I could tell it was an actual baby!!! (Instead of doing a "Rachel" from friends! - when I've seen others previously I can never make them out!!!). Due date is 10.3.14 & still so surreal! Keep forgetting! My sis who has 4 was kindly my personal shopper yesterday as we bought maternity essentials including (thank god!) I bra that actually fits! So I know how I'll be spending next w/end - clearing out pre bump clothing in wardrobe to make room for my new stuff!!! Quick question to all - when do you have to tell work? Not sure of the correct protocol.

Morien Mon 16-Sep-13 07:50:59

Isabeller, poor you; hope you feel better soon. How's your DP getting on? Glad your scan went well, although shame the baby didn't cooperate! I've got mine in 2 weeks. Hope your consultant's visit today goes well.

angel I got new bras last week - it's made a huge difference. What other 'essentials' did you get? For the moment (apart from the bras) I've only got a pair of jeans, a pair of black trousers for work, and a couple of dresses (v nice dresses which I'm looking forward to wearing, but too big for now). Apart from that I'm hoping to get by for as long as possible with several pre-pregnancy tunic dresses - they'll do me for a while yet, I think (19+2).

Feeling quite uncomfortable today - am abroad for work, and by the time I got to my hotel yesterday I had what I presumed was quite bad indigestion (never had it before), sharp pain in my upper abdomen just under my sternum. It got better over the afternoon but didn't actually go away, but I went to bed assuming it would have gone by this morning - but it hasn't. What's more it's moved a bit - it's now a kind of general knotted feeling throughout my abdomen (not sharp pain like yesterday, much duller). Think I'll see the GP tomorrow (going home this evening) to be on the safe side.

4boysthatilove Mon 16-Sep-13 11:06:06

Hi all, just to say I had my baby a week ago, Monday 9th, I was a week overdue and gave in on the dreaded induction due to my age (46), longest labour I have had, despite being told it would be really quick. My last one was 4 hours so had been hoping for about 2 this time, rather than a 16hr marathon. I won't go into the gory details as I don't want to scare anyone, but did have a massive PPH afterwards, but the main thing is I am now fine and my baby arrived safely - he weighed 8lb 13oz and we have named him Samuel Joseph. Good luck to all the other ladies waiting - now I must go and change my username to incorporate the new addition ;) x

Poppy954 Mon 16-Sep-13 11:16:17

Congratulations 5boys! Lovely news although sorry to hear about labour and pph. Glad you are
Ok now.
Lovely scan news. I've got my 20 week scan next
Week. Counting the days now!

sparklysapphire Mon 16-Sep-13 11:32:32

Congratulations 4boys (or now 5boys?) on the arrival Samuel. I'm glad you're ok now, despite your long labour and PPH. I hope baby Samuel is settling in to your family well.

And congratulations on your pregnancies angel and williamina, I hope all is going well.

Isabeller, are the meds are helping you feel a bit better? It must be hard with everything else you have going on. How is DP recovering from his hip replacement? And I hope your consultant appointment goes well.

Morien, are you feeling a bit better now? It sounds like a good plan to get checked by the GP. I didn't get round to getting new bras til about 30 weeks, but it did make a difference. But obviously then I didn't get much wear out of them as I'm now in nursing bras. Except I bought 3 and can only find one and one from last time I didn't wear much. I expect they'll turn up under a pile of other stuff.

Thank you all for your good wishes. DD2 is almost 2 weeks old now and still without a name! She's still sleeping and feeding well, and is now above her birth weight having lost a few ounces last week, which explains why I spent so much time feeding on Thursday and Friday. I'm feeling fine apart from the to-be-expected tiredness. DD1 is still very pleased with her baby sister - she wants to hold her all the time, but isn't very good at holding her still. But rather that than she's not at all interested. DH is interacting a bit with his new DD. He's been pretty distant with me but he went for a drink this weekend with my clever DB who got him to talk, probably for the first time since I found I was pregnant. DH and I still need to talk, but things have improved already, thankfully.

I hope everyone is doing ok. I definitely prefer not being pregnant to being pregnant! And I'm finding it so much easier this time.

notsoold Mon 16-Sep-13 13:41:29

Found you guys!!! I somehow lost the thread but here I am!!!

Will catch up with everything and post later!!smile

Netguru Mon 16-Sep-13 15:17:01

A tentative hello. Just had my viability scan at FMC and heart beat banging away confirmed I am indeed expecting - 8 weeks today.

43, three children already - 22, 14 and 12.

Irishmammybread Mon 16-Sep-13 18:01:05

Hi, I see some familiar faces on here!
I'm cautiously joining in!
For those I haven't met already, I'm 45 with three DC 20,14 and 9. Last year we had a surprise pregnancy which sadly ended in miscarriage at 11 weeks .We then decided to actively ttc, lost another at 6 weeks,got pregnant again but had a MMC,growth stopped at 8w6d but I actually miscarried at 12 weeks. We had given up trying so I'd ditched the opks, temping etc but now find myself pregnant again,we're hoping this little one will make it!
I had a scan at the EPU last week which showed a heartbeat and measured 7 weeks,so correct size for dates. I should be now 8 weeks and am counting down to the next scan next week and hoping and praying!
Netguru , it sounds like we have very similar age gaps and EDD,spooky !

Netguru Mon 16-Sep-13 18:10:52

Irish. More similar than you think. I remember you from the ttc threads of early this year but like you had given up. Funny what happens when you relax!

Irishmammybread Wed 18-Sep-13 15:24:50

Netguru I remember you from the ttc threads too!
Have you told your older DC yet?
We're trying to wait as long as possible in case something goes wrong again, DD1 especially was devastated after my first miscarriage.
I had a panic yesterday when I felt my nausea had subsided and I thought I felt less pregnant,it didn't help that DH is away on business so I had no one to calm me down. I booked a private scan for today and was reassured to see my little one has more than doubled in size since last week and is measuring 8w4d. I got to hear the heartbeat too, which doesn't happen at the EPU, it was amazing.
When is your next scan?

IWantAnotherBaby Wed 18-Sep-13 17:09:48

Can I join? I'm 40, and (despite my mumsnet name) have been completely taken by surprise by this pregnancy. I am a GP, on the Mini-pill for 5 years (and taking it flawlessly, I might add!) and needed fertility help to conceive my older children, but have just discovered I'm 12+ weeks pregnant. Very shocked; we had agreed we wouldn't have more children, and my broodiness was under control. DH has been great, although had a bit of a wobble when I showed him my scan pictures and it started to seem real! Phew! Great to find this thread.

Irishmammybread Wed 18-Sep-13 21:12:30

Hi Iwant ,it must be great to find out you're pregnant at 12 weeks and avoid all the stressing of the early weeks,though it must have been a shock !
This little one was obviously just meant to be.
How old are your older children?

Isabeller Wed 18-Sep-13 21:32:24

Congratulations IWant flowers

Thanks to the medication I have felt a lot more normal today and it has been such a relief. Despite being reluctant to take anything I think I have to give myself a break from the worst of it. I really felt I was going under whereas today I felt tired but able to cope and generally positive.

I hope there is no adverse effect and I can have some easier days for now at least.

Waving to everyone smile

Netguru Wed 18-Sep-13 22:30:58

Congrats Iwant.

Irish - next scan at 10 weeks when they take bloods for the harmony test. We haven't told children yet - same as you don't want to have them upset.

Eldest is refusing to eat anything I have touched saying he doesn't want to catch my sickness bug smile

IWantAnotherBaby Thu 19-Sep-13 20:48:52

Thanks, everyone.

Irish the older 2 are 10 and 5. They have been begging us to have another baby for ages, and we've been explaining all the sensible grown-up reasons why we weren't going to have one. We'll tell them soon - but not until we've got our own heads round it!

I am very pleased, really. Partly relieved. I went to my own GP because I had become convinced I needed a scan and bloods for possible ovarian cancer (several weeks nausea, bloating, pelvic pain etc, and then I found a pelvic mass...). Now I feel a bit stupid (pregnancy was the last thing on my mind for all the reasons in my last post), but also relieved I'm not actually ill, and also now increasingly excited about having a DC3!!

rosiedays Fri 20-Sep-13 08:20:00

Hello ladies flowers and congratulations to all of you.
It's great to see this thread continue. Hi notsoold notsolong now. How are you? Plumping up a comfy chair in the snug for you.
Rosebud is 9 weeks now, she's amazing and doing something new every day. She has the super chubby legs I just want to eat grin and is growing into a lovely little person. I miss her newborn days already. pregnancy seems so long ago ( thankfully)

notsoold Fri 20-Sep-13 09:11:07

Irish!!!! Welcome here!! I am so glad that your scan went well!!!
I hope as times passes that joy will be replacing the uncertainty . I understand as somedays fear seems to be my companion and I will be glad when baby notso is here in my arms!! Xxx

Isabeller glad to know you are feeling better. How many weeks are you???xxx

Iwant....welcome to the thread!!! It must have been a wonderful surprise!!! Have you got yourself a mw already?? Xxx

Netguru!! If is consolation to you my ds is the same and he is 14!!! Xxx

Rosie thanks!!! I am 35 weeks today !!! Still few weeks to go! Rosiebud is 9 weeks already??? Time flies!!! How are the vaccinations coming along???

Morning to all!!! Sorry I haven't name checked everyone but it is a pain on the phone.
I am still recovering from my cold and I thought that baby notso might turn being a full moon ( turn cephalic position not into a werewolf smile)
But nope!!! Happily snug under my ribs.
Xxxx

notsoold Sun 22-Sep-13 08:29:54

Good morning everyone!!!!
I hope everyone is ok and enjoying the autumn sunshine!!!
Very quiet here!!!

Irishmammybread Thu 26-Sep-13 19:42:09

Hi notsoold ,it is quiet on here isn't it! Hope you're getting over your cold. I can't believe you're 35 weeks already,not long to go now.

Netguru we caved in and told DD1 (14) ,she was starting to notice my changing shape anyway. She's delighted though we have told her it's still early days. DD2 seems oblivious and we are probably going to wait and tell DS when he's home next in a few weeks. He's doing an internship this year as part of his degree and is working near London.

I had another scan at the EPU this week and baby is growing and looks fine. I'm 9w4d today! There was an area of bruising/haematoma on the uterine wall however which the sonographer said could be incidental. It might reabsorb on it's own or might bleed. I've been told not to worry but not to do anything strenuous or too active for now.Also she couldn't see a yolksac but said it may be shrinking as the placenta takes over. My next scan is the routine dating scan at 12 weeks, unless I bleed before, but being a worrier I've booked a private scan for next week anyway!
Has anyone had any experience of uterine haematoma and what was the outcome? I wondered if there was any connection with the aspirin I'm on affecting clotting but the nurse seemed to think it was unlikely.

Isabeller hope your DP is recovering from his surgery and you're feeling better.

Iwant have you started getting over the shock yet? I'm sure your DC will be delighted when they hear the news!

quickdowntonson Thu 26-Sep-13 20:54:32

Hello everyone - I'm actually a lurker, and shouldn't really be posting on here because i'm not actually pregnant!
I'm 41 (almost 42), have had 2 miscarriages in the last 6 months, and i'm awaiting the dreaded AF since I miscarried at 6 weeks, about a month ago.
I just wanted to say a massive congratulations to everyone on here - particularly Irishmammybread and Notsoold! I read some of your posts on the conception thread and have been rooting for you! I was genuinely delighted to read your news, and even gave a little cheer!

Anyway, I'll shuffle off now - hopefully I'll be posting legitimately soon! xxx

notsoold Fri 27-Sep-13 07:43:58

irish...I am so glad that everything went well during your scan!!! I have been with friends for earlywife scans ( as an informal translator)and seen that sometimes after 9weeks they couldn't find the sac and these ladies went to have a normal pregnancy. But I would be like you and go for a private scan as much as necessary for my own peace of mind.
I even found that having an angel heart monitor later on helped me with my fears....
I don't have anything to say about haematoma but hopefully someone else will pop in and help! smile
How long do you have to take aspirin???

isabeller how are things??

quickdown I am so sorry for your mcs!!! It is sould destroying so I hope you will recover from the experience...xxxx
Glad you came forward to say hello! smile

diege how are you???

I had another scan yesterday and baby is still breech.at 36 weeks. They offered me an ecv ( I refused) and elcs is booked for the 18th , unless baby moves the right way . If he does than I will be induced on the day.
As I have been able to keep the diabetes at normal levels they let me go until 39 weeks before inducing/ elcs. So I am glad!!!
Going to have my whooping cough and flu vaccine this morning !!! And today is my last day ( officially) at work!!!smile

Have a good day everyone!!

Irishmammybread Fri 27-Sep-13 13:47:06

Hi Downton, thanks for the congratulations,I'm so nice you posted!
I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriages, it's such a difficult time. I know the first AF after a MC is hard, obviously a sad reminder of the loss, but also can be a relief that your cycle is getting back to normal. Look after yourself x
notsoold at least you have a definite date now so you can plan around it, exciting! Enjoy your few weeks off work before the new arrival.
I don't know how long I need to take aspirin for. When I had my third miscarriage the midwives were surprised I hadn't been advised to take it after the first two miscarriages. I enquired about referral for investigation after my third loss but was told I wasn't eligible due to my age and the fact that DH and I have already three children without health issues. The advice from the hospital via the GP was that if we wanted to try again to take aspirin daily but any pregnancy had at least a 50% chance of ending in MC anyway.
I presume the aspirin is for most of the pregnancy ,I must ask the midwife at my booking in appointment next week,or see if I could speak to one of the consultants at the hospital. I suppose I'm still trying not to think too far ahead,one day at a time !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now