Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 4

(628 Posts)
rosiedays Wed 01-May-13 09:30:08

as i filled the last post on old thread it seemed only polite to start the new one. hope i've done it right confused

To those who have just found this thread, Welcome and congratulations on you BFP. please feel free to join this amazing supportive group of 40+ mums to be. A very nonjudgmental and friendly place to hang out and share your pregnancy.

Blundermum 40, DC2 due early May?
Lotsofcheese, 40/41, DC2 (girl) due May (DS 4y)
Onemoreforgoodmeasure, 40, DC1 due 06/06
cyclecamper, 42, DC1 due 14/06
Newchoos, 40, DC2, due early July
Blueeyes1970,42, DC1 due on 8th July
BadMissM, 45, DC2, due 22/7
Rosiedays, 43 DD3 due 23rd July(ish)
ScubaSarah, nrly 40, DC1?, due July 22-Aug 1
Iclaudius,45, due 29/07
LottieH, 44, DC5, due mid August
Sparklysapphire, 44, DC2, due 28/8
BuzzBee, 40, DC2, due Sept
Notsoold, 41,DC3 due end of October
Animol, 42, DC5 due 13th
November

rosiedays Fri 09-Aug-13 09:40:49

Hi everyone smile big congratulations to those who have just joined this amazing thread.
Heart felt hugs * jbrd* flowers
Congratulations soup hope your loving baby snuggles and all going well.

Baby rose and I are loving getting to know each other. She is so cute and yummy. Apart from a few feeding problems (sorted with great thanks to the lovely 40+ grad ladies) we're really enjoying life. Can't believe baby rose will be 1 month on Tuesday.

sparkly congratulations for getting to term. Not long now. How is dh? Hope things have improved. Looking forward to seeing you on the grad thread. Xx

Morien Fri 09-Aug-13 11:32:11

diege what a fright! Glad all seems to be well though.

rosiedays congratulations on your little girl! Hope to join you on the grad thread in 6 months or so...

diege Fri 09-Aug-13 17:42:06

Congrats rosie smile.
All fine after anti-D - when I was there someone else was in for the same after being kicked by a deer shock. Put my tennis ball incident into the shade!

Morien Sat 10-Aug-13 15:23:44

Just had a message from the doctor at the Fetal Medical Centre to say that he got my Harmony test results last night and that they're absolutely fine. I guess I'll get more details on Monday but that's good enough for me for now grin

sparklysapphire Sat 10-Aug-13 23:29:02

Excellent news about your Harmony test morien, you must be very relieved.

Diege, the incident with the tennis ball sounds unpleasant, but not as bad as the deer! Though having anti-D 2 weeks running can't be much fun - I'm not a fan of that particular jab.

Isabeller, lovely to see you here, I hope you're feeling a bit better.

Rosie, I can't believe baby rose is nearly a month old, that seems to have gone really quickly.

Hi notsoold, how are you doing?

I'm just hot all the time, I don't think it's that humid in the house but it just feels it to me. Tidying up is underway, but still loads to do and the dishwasher has decided that now would be a good time to stop working sad. DH and I haven't had a great week, he's barely come near me which makes me sad, also we're operating at different ends of the day as he's on lots of late shifts at the moment. And he thinks we're going to need a bigger car - we have 2 family sized hatchbacks, but he's thinking we'd need a people carrier with 2 kids which seems over the top to me, but we'll see. Sorry for the rant.

knickyknocks Sun 11-Aug-13 07:28:50

I used to be on this thread a while back and just wanted to pop in and say hello to *sparkly as I see you're nearly there! I so hope that things between you and DH are gradually improving. Can't wait to hear about a smooth and safe delivery.

Just to also say recognise Diege from the etc thread - being in your third trimester means I'm very late in sending my congratulations on your pregnancy. I always enjoyed the snug in the TTC thread!

Lastly so sorry to read jbrds news. You've had such a tough TTC ride. Sending you hugs and positive vibes for things to have a happier oume for you soon.

Wishing all the other lovely ladies on this thread smooth pregnancies and safe deliveries - I remember the support on this thread with great fondness.

notsoold Sun 11-Aug-13 18:36:42

morien that such good news! And so nice of him to phone so you didn't worry over the weekend!!

sparkly oh I do hope your dh will come around when the lo is here on the outside world. I admire your resilience in dealing with the situation...
Is the dishwasher sorted??? Regarding cars it is a typical man, huh? Hoping for a new toy!! Take care my lovely...

knicky lovely to see you here!!! Hope you had a great weekend!

rosie congratulations!!! smile

isabeller are you feeling better???

Everything is quiet on our household. Dd is not coming to see us ( away on a holiday) and ds is away at a camp. It is unbelievable how quiet it is without him!!! I can hear myself think!!! Miss the teen though! We just bought a wardrobe for the nursery from IKEA so I have a toy to put together with dh. And making the most of getting laid now as I know I won't feel in the mood until baby is around 6 ( months not years)....sorry tmi smile
Have a great Sunday!!

Isabeller Mon 12-Aug-13 08:11:43

Thank you notsoold I am feeling a bit rubbish which is fantastic smile I can function! I felt completely fine and normal last Monday - bliss - then woke feeling dreadful on Tuesday and just got worse really as the week went on. I happened to have an obstetrician appointment in the middle so was reassured the baby was fine but by Friday I was desperate and my GP prescribed a couple of things which have taken the edge off the nausea and headache so I can more or less get on with what I need to do.

Just as well because the second I got back to DPs Mum's I was knee deep in hoists and incontinence pads! grin.

Hope everyone is enjoying being less sweltered, we've had just enough rain to keep things feeling fresher which is a tonic in itself.

diege Mon 12-Aug-13 08:45:15

Morning! 'bit rubbish' does indeed sound fantastic isabeller grin Just enough to reassure without rendering you useless!
Hi knicky! Good to hear from you - how are things with you? You've reminded me that we haven't had a bistro in the snug for a while!
sparky hold on in there - I to can't believe how resilient you've been with 'd'h - that man needs a good shaking talking to xx
30 weeks tomorrow shock which seems to me a lot closer to term than 29 weeks grin. Enjoying the gloomy weather here too though have prospect today of taking 4 dcs into town to buy school uniform hmm. Wish me luck!

knickyknocks Mon 12-Aug-13 10:17:25

diege things are going well thanks. DS is almost 5 months old and we're on the brink of starting to weaning. Sleep has taken a bit of a hit but with the smiles that I get, I've got a gorgeous distraction. Thought this was number 5 for you. Hope the MS this time round was an improvement on previous pregnancies (seem to recall you've really suffered before)

Lovely to see this thread still going strong and us over 40's defying the doom and gloom stats and having perfectly normal pregnancies smile

diege Mon 12-Aug-13 15:42:00

Number 6 here Knicky grin. Have 3 dds and 2 ds's and this is another ds...Was a bit of a surprise as hadn't been ttc (sod's law -must have conceived on cd 3 - that was the only day the deed was done that mth) and was 8 weeks when I found out. Had hyperemesis again but responded well to cyclezine tabs, and pretty much gone by 20 weeks. Ds sounds adorable with his smiles - will you be dipping your toe in the ttc pond again?

knickyknocks Mon 12-Aug-13 18:03:08

diege look at you and your surprise! Number 6 - that's fantastic (I'm in awe of your stamina grin) As for dipping my toes again into the world of TTC, I suspect not. Had 3 mcs before Ds came along and feel I may be pushing my luck. I have been feeling bloody since DS arrived but think that's because I know in my heart he's our second and last. Very pleased to hear the MS was more under control this time for you - I still think the first trimester is the worst with the tiredness, nausea and worry that everything is ok. The Labour feels like a walk in the park after that grin

diege Mon 12-Aug-13 18:12:04

I agree, first trimester def the worst, plus the constant worry...I am hoping that I'll even get a labour this time as placenta low. Rescanning at 34 weeks and really hoping it's 'moved' up so that I don't have to book a section (would also be admitted for a few weeks beforehand due to issues around bleeding and low placentas which is Not Ideal At All!!! I don't even formally finish work until 37 weeks!
Re: ttc I totally understand where you're coming from, though I do suspect you would be ok in the end. You know the thread if you need it!

sparklysapphire Wed 14-Aug-13 15:10:58

Knicky, how nice to hear from you. I can't believe your DS is nearly 5 months, it seems you announced his birth only a few weeks ago! And rosie, where did that month go? It sounds like you're really enjoying baby Rose.

Diege, the uniform shopping sounds like a challenge to say the least. As I only have DD to buy for, I'm doing it as and when and think she can get a bit more wear out of last year's stuff too as I bought it quite big.

Isabeller, it's good that you're only feeling a bit rubbish, but I hope you feel properly better soon.

Notsoold, I hadn't thought of a new car as a new toy, but it makes perfect (if expensive) sense.

Thank you all for you support regarding DH. He's been quite distant, no sex for over a week which is a long time for us even at this stage, so I'm feeling quite rejected. DM is staying for a few days and while she's been great with DD, I've waited on her with food and tea, and it hasn't occurred to her to even ask about washing up with the dishwasher out of action (it's fixed now, thank goodness). So I'm kind of feeling that the two people who should be looking after me, at least a bit, given that I'm about to have a baby, either can't or won't, so I'm feeling a bit low today. And now DM is talking about coming to stay in a local B & B when LO is born (MIL is going to stay with is for practical support which is necessary but I'm really not looking forward to it), which still means we'd have to feed her and she'll sit around reading the paper oblivious to anything else going on. I need to try and talk her out of it without hideously offending her. Maybe one for DB to deal with.....

Sorry for the rant. I tried to post a couple of days ago, but the computer ate it, then DH arrived home so wasn't able to re-write.

I hope everyone's ok. Morien, any more details on your Harmony results?

Morien Sun 18-Aug-13 19:05:46

How are you, sparkly? Hope you've been feeling brighter than you were when you posted last. And I really, really hope your DH is being nicer to you and giving you the support you need. I suspect we may have the same DM grin When my DSis's LO was tiny our DM went to 'help' and spent 4 days reading the paper (which BIL had to go and buy for her) and not lifting a finger. She's not good at staying with either of us as she has this huge fear of being a nightmare DM who mothers her adult children to death...so she goes to the other extreme. To be fair she looks after my DN a lot at her own house now and she is brilliant with her, really helps my DSis a lot.

notsoold I imagine you've got DS back by now so things must be back to normal? Did you get the wardrobe built?

How about you, isabeller? Really hope you're still feeling just a little bit rubbish (if at all!) Today I've not needed an afternoon nap of several hours, for the first time in weeks (have been on leave for a month, really worried about going back to work as I just get so exhausted in the afternoons - maybe today is the start of a new phase wink?)

I got more details about my Harmony test a few days ago - I'm in the lowest risk category for all 3 trisomies, less than 1/10,000. Can't ask for better than that.

At this point (15+1) I can still wear all my normal clothes (although I had to use an elastic band with a favourite pair of jeans last night); I can see that I've got a bit fatter around the waist, but it's not noticeable to others, and I have no bump at all - and I'm starting to want one! I hadn't bought any maternity clothes as I really don't need them yet. Anyway, SIL passed on a bag of maternity clothes which I tried on last night - and as if by magic I had a little bump!

Isabeller Mon 19-Aug-13 04:51:27

Hello grin no idea why I am awake and waving at this hour.

I do appreciate the good wishes. Most days now I am a lot more functional by taking as little as I can get away with of GPs prescription to take the edge off the nausea and headaches.

It's great to hear everyone's news, despite being somewhat old and fat all my tests and monitoring are coming up with good results which puts some of the scaremongery into perspective. A particularly nice dietician unfortunately went on a bit about the risk of [thing I don't want to name] which is now haunting me a lot of the time despite the fact I know it is incredibly unlikely.

When I said it was upsetting she basically justified the idea of scaring me/whoever into weight gain management hmm. Pity because otherwise she's good.

Has anyone else found themselves breaking into a sweat at the mildest (and perfectly manageable) exertion? I do quite a bit of moderate to heavy physical work and it's become quite dramatic. I'm pacing myself and using slightly different lifting techniques and I feel fine just drenched!

It's really inspiring to read of large families. I am wondering a bit how I will handle the last few weeks of pregnancy reading your situation sparkly. I'm trying to guess how long I'll be able to stay on DPs Mum's care rota.

Hooray, feeling sleepy again, night night.

sparklysapphire Tue 20-Aug-13 00:05:41

Morien, you must be really pleased with your Harmony results. I went into maternity clothes at about 5 months I think this time (probably 6 months last time), but wasn't in a mad rush to do so. Also I didn't go public til after the 20 week scan and mat clothes might have been a bit of a giveaway! I am feeling better thanks. To be fair to DM she did lots of reading with DD, who can read but is very reluctant to, though we don't really know why. But I still could have done with a bit more practical help. DH is on lates again this week so we're a bit out of sync again. It is a little better I think but we haven't really talked about the imminent arrival.
I had a hospital appointment on Friday, I'll be induced on 2/9 if no baby before then, which I doubt, as not engaged yet. I'm not keen, and I think the induction is later than they'd like, but it gives a few more days for LO to come naturally.

Isabeller, great to know that your test results are all looking good. It's unfortunate your dietician has been scaremongering, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm just hot and sweaty most of the time or so it feels, particularly my neck which just feels odd. You sound like you're doing a great job with DPs mum. I'm sure it'll be obvious when you need to stop.

Diege, I hope you're getting to relax a bit in Whitby.

Notsoold how are you doing?

I've sort of packed my hospital bag, I put some baby clothes through the wash today, but it's still not in a grab and go state - because I don' think I'll need it for a while.

WarpKitten Tue 20-Aug-13 14:11:50

Hi everyone just thought I'd say hello as I'm an oldie ;-) too at 40. I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my first one. It's reassuring to meet other over 40 mums. Do we really have more complications? DH says it's because all the research and stats were done in the 70s when not so many mum's were having little ones at our age...

catdoctor Tue 20-Aug-13 14:45:18

Afternoon, just checking in - Sparkly what is your EDD? I'm currently obsessing carefully evaluating induction as feel convinced I will end up with one this time. Trying to get straight in my head what are acceptable risks.

Hello Warpkitten I've tried to find the relevant info but just so many variables to take into account.

When am I expecting DS2 to assume head down position - midwife says 34 weeks which seems alarmingly late - he's currently head up - that's a prob with having an ultrasound at work - something else to obsess over! Must go get on my ball.

Morien Wed 21-Aug-13 20:34:39

Hello warpkitten <waves> Can't answer your question...interested to see what anyone else thinks, though.

catdoctor you've reminded me that I need to dig out that ball that's hidden in the depths of the garage...

Getting really close now, sparkly! I can't remember - do you know what you're having?

I've had my most active day for several months (since BFP) today, and this evening I feel pleasantly tired rather than completely wiped out and tearful - hope I've turned a corner! First thing this morning DH & I went out for an hour-long bike-ride (we live in the countryside on the edge of the rolling hils of Wallonia, so it's not flat - very pretty though), then I did work stuff on the computer for several hours, got lots done. Then I spent the afternoon batch cooking to get the freezer stocked, and made dinner. Long may it last grin

F1onajb Fri 23-Aug-13 14:16:25

Woo hoo!! I had my first non retching, non nauseau, no sickness day yesterday and so far so good today smile

I really hope I've turned a corner ..... I'm 14 +5. I have felt so horribly ill from week 7.

Hope everyone is doing ok xx

DietPregnancyResearcher Fri 23-Aug-13 14:47:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

fancyanother Fri 23-Aug-13 21:10:47

Not PG just lurking and wishful thinking, but warpkitten I was told by my doctor when I raised the subject that the research was done a long time ago, when most of the people having babies in their '40's were on their 8th or something, adding to the risk factors. Don't know how true that is as other doctors have said different...

sparklysapphire Fri 23-Aug-13 23:07:19

Hi all, I was hoping to catch up properly but our internet is down so just a brief post from my phone. Catdoctor, my EDD is 28/8. There was a press release earlier in the year from the Royal College of Gynaecologists/Obstetricians on why older mums should be induced earlier, due to slightly higher stillbirth risk, something like the same for us oldies at 39 weeks as 25-29 yr olds (lowest risk) at 42 weeks.I've got no idea how to link to it, but it was definitely on the BBC website too. I think my LO went head down sometime between 28 & 32 weeks, and is now engaged. Sweep is next Thursday, which I expect to need.
Morien , sounds like you had a lovely day on Wednesday.
DH is working away overnight tonight, as he was on standby and work needed him to do it. We discussed it, & he agreed to go, then spent the rest of the evening wondering if he should have. I don't expect a baby in the next 24 hours though.

Hi warpkitten, I don't really know if its true,we have,

sparklysapphire Fri 23-Aug-13 23:11:46

Arrgh, stupid phone. As I was trying to say,I don't know if we really do have more complications, apart from higher chromosomal risks, & more m/cs or if its just over cautiousness in the part of the medical profession.
I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and enjoy the bank holiday if you're in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now