Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Wondering - how do celebrity mums stay so slim (not that I'm worried just an observation)

(49 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:17:13

Apart from Kim K - I've noticed - or rather its been brought to my attention - how little weight many of the pregnant ladies in the public eye put on. A friend of mine who I met for coffee and who knows me well posed this question to me. I've had quite bad morning sickness and heartburn this pregnancy (DD2) -but have managed to stay active and eat heathily (tbh - had no choice really as cheese and chocolate have made me gag) and 'despite' this have still put on 2.5 stone; going from 9st 4lbs to 11st 12lbs. I don't put on weight easily (when not pregnant). Hopefully this info has reassured mums worried about weight but the curious in me wonders what the likes of Kate Middleton/Sienna Miller etc eat or do in pg that is do different to the rest of us.

MILLYMOLLYMANDYMAX Wed 14-Aug-13 01:53:19

I am certainly not in the I only put 2lb on brigade. Try 6 stone being nearer the mark. With both my pregnancies I had the most horrendous morning sickness and heartburn. I was physically sick for the first 5 months of my first pregnancy I lost in those 5 months 2 stone in weight. Whatever went down came up 5 mins later. I had 10 days when I felt absolutely wonderful then the heartburn started and I became addicted to milk and drinking between 12-18 litres of milk per day and put 6 stone on. Then lost 4 stone in 10 days after giving birth. Judging by how it came off I think it was all water weight. Second pregnancy however just felt completely awful. Was never sick but the only way I could relieve the sickness was to eat. Put on 6 stone again but am still battling to loose all of it. Clicked something out of place whilst pregnant the second time and it took 5 years of agony before someone realised I had slipped a disc.
I was a complete mess when I was pregnant. Would have loved to have been one of those women who ate sensibly and had a tiny bump but it never happened instead I spent 5 months with my head down a toilet

CareerGirl01 Sat 04-May-13 07:18:54

Ton good point, although I feel as sorry for celebrities that feel they have to do that - as I do for the KKs of this world.
As I said I feel I've been more judgemental of women who put on loads of weight pg or not; and this pg (the last month or so at least) has made me realise how different we all are; and how women in the public eye are so homogenous.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 03-May-13 21:39:13

I'm sorry if it was my comment that people felt was unhelpful and unsupportive. Maybe it was worded badly and needed more context.

I think it's just as unsisterly to gossip about 34 week c-sections / tummy tucks / starvation diets / not having a good diet for breastfeeding / spending all the time at the gym rather than with the baby etc as it is to criticise women for weight gain during pregnancy. That's all.

Creamtea1 Thu 02-May-13 21:53:22

Absolutely and totally agree with everything careergirl said. If I see one more thread with someone looking for support around their pregnancy weight gain, which is then bombarded with the 'I've only put on 2lb' brigade I will scream. It makes me take a break from the threads. Especially ones where the only 2lb on poster does not clarify their pre-preg weight. A nine stone woman putting on a stone by 20 weeks is no different to a 14 stone woman putting on 2lb during the same time.

ExpatAl Thu 02-May-13 19:28:56

I think it was Liz Hurley who referred to us non celebs as 'civillians'. She was making the same point that being beautiful was a military operation.

Beamur Thu 02-May-13 19:26:51

I wonder if also, these women are (generally) already fit and slim, they have 'good' eating habits and exercise well, plus have the motivation to get back to looking good as basically, their careers probably depend on it. So, if you're physically in a good place to start with, have bespoke advice and support with fitness and nutrition during your pregnancy, plus the motivation to get back in shape afterwards - and perhaps a nanny to mind the baby, a cleaner to keep you house tidy, a gardener, etc, etc so you actually have the time and energy to get to the gym/swim/whatever, then it's not such a mystery smile

gertrudestein Thu 02-May-13 19:16:24

Wise words career and mega. There's so much pressure to look a certain way, as if the point of our bodies was to be attractive to other people. I really struggle with it on an emotional level, even though rationally I know it doesn't make any sense - I'm healthy, have a resolutely normal weight gain, and know that my body is doing what it needs to do. I remember watching an interview with Davina McCall where someone asked her how she lost weight so quickly after giving birth, and in a moment of complete honesty she said, 'it's my job to be thin.' Perhaps that's the real reason celebrities look so slim' - they have to do it to keep their jobs.

I think the thing I struggle with is feeling ill - normally I enjoy knowing my body, being fit, eating, exercising and resting according to what I know my body needs. But being pregnant is such a different experience - sometimes you know things are ok because you feel ill! So it's difficult to feel that same sense of connection, and it becomes a bit more arbitrary - eg how do I compare to charts/ other people/ celebrities?

megarobotdiscoparty Thu 02-May-13 15:02:57

I couldn't agree more CareerGirl, it gives me shivers that there are people out there being so judgmental about what women should and shouldn't be doing/eating/thinking at any time - let alone a vulnerable time like pregnancy.

Up until recently part of my job involved giving diet advice and emotional support to women who were struggling with weight issues. Attitudes suggesting everyone should conform to an ideal (whatever that ideal is) are dramtically unhelpful, and tend to push people in the other direction or at least complicate matters on a psychological level. This is amplified at a time like pregnancy, when a lot of women feel very vulnerable about their changing shape.

What we need is a bit of understanding and acceptance. Everyone is different, it's about taking it one step at a time.

[tree hugging emoticon]

CareerGirl01 Thu 02-May-13 14:41:47

Well had my Pre OP check today. My BMI is still 25 and I have put exactly 32lbs. My point was that despite being quite sick, being active and not being a big eater anyway (I've never had to watch my weight-and I am active - but I do eat cake!) I have put on over 2 stone. Not all the women in the public eye can be so genetically blessed as to put on 1 stone or less - my point being that some really must have to watch what they eat; while those that are normal (I.e average ) get the kind of abuse that KK was getting. I've actually felt - at points - guilty about my weight gain. Even though its made me look better. If I feel like this then there must be an awful lot of other pg women out there ( I have two degrees/am quite rational and have decent amounts of self esteem) who must feel the same or worse. I've seen so many posts from women worried about their weight gain and their threads are always 'interrupted' with a post from someone who appears to be bragging about how little they've put on. It's time the media/women stopped being so harsh.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 02-May-13 12:49:05

I think as someone else said that a lot of celebs sort of vanish at around 8 months and re-appear a couple of months later. Mrs Beckham was certainly not seen much immediately after having a baby.

I also recall Liz Hurley went to stay at Elton's house and only ate raisins. So what we all need is to be friends with Elton.

I put on loads with my first and second but lost it all within about 9months. With third put on a lot less, and lost it a lot quicker but was very sick in that pregnancy.

MrsHY1 Thu 02-May-13 12:42:14

I clearly can't think straight today.
I meant to say lots of strong opinions from what I thought was a relatively innocuous original post.
Why as women are we so good at bashing people for being thin or bashing people for not? I'd like to think that personally there's a happy medium between juice diets and 'sitting around in a pit of filth' for a year.

MrsHY1 Thu 02-May-13 12:39:59

Wow! Lots of strong opinions on here from a relatively innocuous

HazleNutt Thu 02-May-13 12:27:26

Unfortunately my body feels the right weight is quite a bit more than I personally prefer.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who don't have to think about the pregnancy weight gain and who will lose all extra kilos without any effort. I'm not one of them, so have to agree with Dolomites - if I normally have to keep an eye on what I eat and exercise to have the weight under control, then I can't just go "woohoo, eat all the cakes!!" when pregnant either.

Wishwehadgoneabroad Thu 02-May-13 11:07:11

Money. Help with the baby. Not having to deal with sleep deprivation (hiring night nanny etc)

Seriously .Not in the real world!

OP I was 9st 5 pre pregnancy....12stone 7 when i gave birth....after baby and placenta out....11 stone 12 ish.

That was 6 months ago.

I'm only just 10stone 8 now. Still got a good stone to lose.

Slow and steady - that's the best way! I used to have an amazing flat stomach..I could have cried the days following the birth!!! However, 6 months later it is nearly back to it's normal amazing self!!

I'm a firm believer in your body will find it's right level/weight with time.

badguider Thu 02-May-13 11:02:18

Liz Yelling (recently retired marathon runner) is pregnant with twins, I'll be interested to see how she gets on. She couldn't run in her last pregnancy as she had placenta previa.

gertrudestein Thu 02-May-13 10:52:07

Good point, badguider, I think perhaps that's what it boils down to - people just put on weight in different ways. I've put on the normal amount of weight, it just goes ... everywhere! Whereas some people seem to look like their pre-pregnancy selves, just with a bump and larger boobs. I'm not one for sleb-spotting, but from photos I've seen Kim Kardashian looks beautiful. She's obviously just an all-over-type instead of a lean and slender type. I really doubt she's put on too much weight or put her baby in danger!

How awful it must be to have people saying those kinds of thing about her when she's having her first baby.

(Of course, it goes without saying that a healthy, fit body is not necessarily a celebrity body shape. I'd rather look like Jennifer Ennis than Kate Moss any day - if Jennifer Ennis ever has a baby, that will be a role model to look out for!)

Mamabear12 Thu 02-May-13 06:32:10

Not all stay slim. Look at Jessica Simpson, she got HUGE and second time around big as well. Hillary duff looked big to me as well. Gisele bundchen wa sof course tiny!!! And tiny right after!!

Me of course, put 23 kig!! No way to escape the weight gain. I'm on second pregnancy and some how jut put weight on easy when prego. However, I'm pretty slim when not pregnant, 57 kg and almost 5'8.

Bodicea Wed 01-May-13 23:56:20

Why are people so grumpy on here? Am sure some celebs do get stuff done and some don't but we are allowed to discuss the possibilities are we not?! hmm You can get t tuck at same time mostly in US or a few months later. But early csections are v common.
I would suggest that it is you being judgemental - tondelay and Dolomites.

mumoftwoboysS Wed 01-May-13 22:31:18

oops 'women'

mumoftwoboysS Wed 01-May-13 22:31:01

I can see what you're saying Tonde but I can honestly say most wome I know took around a year to lose their excess baby weight (some less, some more) and I think it's a healthier amount of time than 3 months.

I agree though, pregnancy isn't an excuse to eat for two (though it's hard when you feel so hungry sometimes!) and gentle exercise during and after the birth is the healthiest way to keep on top of weight gain.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 01-May-13 20:10:11

What Dolomites said. This is the one area where we should be copying celebrities! You are not supposed to put on excessive weight when you are pregnant and you are supposed to continue exercising.
Excessive weight gain increases the risk of diabetes in you and your baby and increases risk of birth complications and health problems.

You don't need more calories during pregnancy except in the final trimester and then it's only an increase of 200 calories per day.

Diet has no impact on the ability to breast feed your baby and sensibly controlling your calorie intake while BF or even while pregnant is not harmful in the slightest.

Most women I know were back at their usual weight within 3 months without the aid of personal trainers and nutritionists. And if you are slim and beautiful enough to be a celebrity then you have the resources to keep that way. All this talk of juice diets and c-section tummy tucks is envious and judgmental.

Are we supposed to admire someone because they gained weight while pregnant? It's just as bad as admiring someone for being skinny.

badguider Wed 01-May-13 19:44:31

As far as I can tell (at 22wks) among people I know and do pregnancy yoga with there isn't a lot of correlation between the amount of 'weight' you put on and the 'shape' you become during pregnancy.

Most celebs are a certain body type to begin with... long limbed and with a large distance between pelvis and ribs. Even shorter celebs are almost all still this standard shape.

mumoftwoboysS Wed 01-May-13 19:31:51

Ditto a few of the above- I can't wait to get some curves as I'm petite/skinny and I can't even be bothered to do any exercise (feeling the nausea & lethargy of 1st trimester) but keen to get back to swimming and pilates.

That blonde singer- oh can't remember her name -was daisy duke in the remake of Dukes of Hazard- she put on a lot each time but seems to lose it naturally after a while.

Dolomites -11 days to lose 8kg??

KirstyoffEastenders Wed 01-May-13 14:26:02

There is a difference between 'putting on weight' and 'being fat'

Panzee Wed 01-May-13 14:19:15

Sigh.
It's not physically possible to,have a tummy tuck at exactly the same time. Not one that works anyway. Your uterus is still big.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now