Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Period type pains at 19 weeks

(7 Posts)
afrikat Sat 27-Apr-13 10:51:05

Thanks all - it had died down by bed time and seems fine today but if it happens again I will get it checked out.

MistressofPemberley Sat 27-Apr-13 07:39:53

Had this on and off since 18 weeks. Now 25 weeks. Backaches, period pains etc. went to A&E one night as I was so scared. All fine. Baby moving and growing like a maniac. I think it's just ligament pains, combined with a growing uterus, all mixed in with a little bit of pelvic girdle pain. Been referred for some physio and starting yoga next week.

Try not to worry, and take paracetamol if you want to.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 27-Apr-13 03:03:16

Yes that's right.

amazingmumof6 Sat 27-Apr-13 02:45:24

what is a UTI, please? urinary tract infection?

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 27-Apr-13 02:36:45

I had this. It was a UTI. No other symptoms at all (which is unusual for me). See a midwife asap and tell her.

amazingmumof6 Sat 27-Apr-13 02:24:35

does your whole tummy get hard while the cramp lasts?
do the cramps last for about 30sec - few minutes?
does your tummy relax after cramp ends and the pain goes completely?

if yes to all 3, you are probably having Braxton-Hicks contractions, which are normal and you are not in labour, you have nothing to worry about!
they should not be painful as such, but more like a tightening, squashing sensation.

they come and go, but can get stronger and more frequent as you are getting closer to your due date.

at 8.5 pg I'd have them so bad they'd take my breath away and stop me in my tracks, I literally would be unable to take a step sometimes. they would last up to 4 mins!

However if your are having short cramps that are:
- regular or starting to get closer to each other and really feel like dull aches of period pains

- the pain is more concentrated where your cervix is (lower abdomen), kind of the where the horizontal line of your knickers are

- the pain grows stronger quickly, its intensity peaks, then decreases

- the cramps/pains starting to get longer, the peaks more intense and longer

- you have any bleeding or spotting, or pinkish/brownish mucus discharge etc

especially that you have a dull back ache you could be in labour and you must go to the hospital straightaway!
they will advise you better about what is going on, will monitor baby and contractions.
if you are in labour you are very likely to be given some injections to stop the labour (ie the cervix dilating).

if in doubt call the hospital now or asap. you could read more about Braxton-Hicks to help you decide.

I hope you and baby will be ok

afrikat Fri 26-Apr-13 19:47:53

In the last few hours I have started to feel what I can only describe as period pains - a dull ache in my lower back and cramps around my uterus. They seem to be getting stronger but I have no other symptoms. Anyone else had this? Should I be worried or is it likely to be ligaments etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now