Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Maternity trousers recommendations please?

(23 Posts)
suntodayplease Sat 27-Apr-13 18:22:41

I'm so glad others have found H&M sizing small, I've had to go up 2 sizes in their skinny jeans. I love the fit and good length so I'm ignoring the label size for now! They don't seem to get many new pairs in though despite checking regularly, has anyone ordered from them online? I've heard bad reviews about shopping online with them which is putting me off.

I tried Isabella Oliver skinny jeans, but the white stitching put me off and I wasn't convinced they'd stay up.

The hunt continues, I'm not really a leggings/tunic dresser and I'm a SAHM so depend on my jeans! Roll on a hot summer so we can waft around in maxi dresses and not spend all day pulling up our trousers!

dottypyjamas Sat 27-Apr-13 18:05:01

purplepoppyseed totally with you on h&m sizes - am a 10 in topshop under bump skinnies but a 14 was tight in h&m - that wasn't a happy shopping trip! Would recommend the topshop ones though

Pusspuss1 Sat 27-Apr-13 15:04:55

I've got a couple of pairs from Seraphine that I'm wearing constantly at the moment. Tried on the Topshop and H&M versions too, but the fit was terrible on me, and I'm a pretty standard size.

parttimer79 Sat 27-Apr-13 14:05:14

I'll second top shop maternity jeans. So comfy and sit just under bump and don't go baggy after wearing.
Apart from that I'm 25 weeks and wearing M&S legging with the wide waistband in a size bigger than usual - working well so far and I have a pretty big bump as I am a shortarse!

mrspaddy Fri 26-Apr-13 22:31:28

Just think it totally depends on your shape.. New Look are the only place I could find to fit me.. tried all.. Debenhams were awful on me.

PrincessOfChina Fri 26-Apr-13 22:28:39

It's three years almost since I was in the market for maternity clothes but I found Topshop to be the best. I had some Leigh jeans in black and blue, and a couple of pairs of under bump work trousers. They all had magical hidden adjustable straps in the pocket.

I've leant them to a friend for her pregnancy but I better get them back should be decide on number 2!

oscarwilde Fri 26-Apr-13 22:24:30

Gap and Jojo were good for jeans but the JOjo jeggings were disastrous, kept falling down and no belt loops. I don't have the skinny legs for designer preg jeans.
For work I wore Gap and Isabella Oliver trousers. Under bump up to 7 months, over bump were better after that.

PurplePoppySeed Fri 26-Apr-13 20:22:43

I had a full on strop in h&m last weekend trying trousers-what's the trick? Nothing fitted, I went up 2 sizes and they were still to tight on the legs, I'm 19 weeks with not very much bump and have only put on 4-6 lbs, so I know I shouldn't need to go up in size, all those who recommend them, what did you buy size-wise?

RoseLavenderBlue Fri 26-Apr-13 16:59:52

Thanks for the further suggestions, have just ordered some things from Next and will definitely check out H & M.

BabyHMummy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:23:20

Dorothy Perkins were good but i think they have stopped doing maternity as couldn't find it on their website the other week.

New look jeans were awful! Their Arizona ia its! I am in size 16 with next, mothercare and dotty p but new look some 18 are way too small.

MrsSpagBol Thu 25-Apr-13 13:48:03

Mothercare and next (esp next for skinny jeans)

Preposteroushypothesis Thu 25-Apr-13 12:27:42

Another vote for h&m, Not expensive and definitely the best fit I've had of all my maternity trousers in 2 pregnancies, comfortable enough to be worn relatively early but also right through to the end. I have 3 friends who all said they were the best they'd had too

fertilityFTW Thu 25-Apr-13 11:01:16

I love my over the bump (but easy to fold down) maternity bottoms from Mothercare - kinda yoga trouserey, but super comfortable (about £20). I picked up two more after I bought the first one since it was something I could see wearing everyday - which I have! Even now at 37+ I don't want to wear anything else to step out.

harleyd Thu 25-Apr-13 10:13:22

new look jeans are awful

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 25-Apr-13 10:06:48

For jeans I liked Next. For smarter stuff I was really impressed with Gap maternity stuff.

Locketjuice Thu 25-Apr-13 09:33:36

Mine are from h&m and are amazing worn both pregnancys smile the skinny legs stay skinny! smile

jimblejambles Thu 25-Apr-13 09:32:36

My best trousers are from h&m they are very comfy and stay up.
I have got some jeans from next which where fine up to about 30 weeks but now they seem to have given up trying to cover my bump

RoseLavenderBlue Thu 25-Apr-13 09:24:49

Thanks all, for your advice. badguider - good idea on the larger sized linen trousers, in fact I just bought some cheap 'normal' joggers for yoga which were a size larger and so much more comfy!

My best maternity jeans and trousers have been from next. Still fit at 32 weeks unlike my jeans from mamas and papas

badguider Wed 24-Apr-13 15:48:20

For jeans, I have 'under bump' ones (one from next, one from new look) so the join under the stretchy band is too low to dig in.

badguider Wed 24-Apr-13 15:47:11

I've just bought some "normal" (ie not maternity) linen trousers from M&S. They have an elasticated ribbed band round the back and drawstring round the front and come in navy, black, khaki and white. They are possibly one size bigger than I would have tried before pregnancy and they sit nicely below my bump.

dinkystinky Wed 24-Apr-13 15:43:05

I like Seraphine trousers and leggings - they stay up well and are nicely stretchy - they are £££ though (but have lasted me well through 3 pregnancies)

RoseLavenderBlue Wed 24-Apr-13 15:37:27

I have bought three pairs from Jojo and although I thought they fitted when I tried them on, I made the mistake of not walking around or sitting in them! The skinny leg trousers are quite clingy and don't hug your legs but just want to fall down constantly. I am seriously considering buying some braces just so I can get wear out of them. The jeans are also a problem in that the bit where the top of the jeans stops and the stretchy band starts, just digs in to your under bump area when you sit down. Does anyone know of any comfy trousers that don't dig in/fall down? Or that are stretchy all over? Haven't quite got the legs for clingy leggings I'm afraid! I can see now why dungarees where so popular years ago (not that I am going there.) Thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now