Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

silly but serious question.... is peroxide blonde hair dye bad for bump?

(17 Posts)
toni1bump Tue 23-Apr-13 18:52:55

Just bought myself some bleach blonde dye to do my roots only for boyfriend to tell me i can't because it is poisonous! I was close to tears and not sure whether he is winding me up or not!? very vulerable and hormonal and have terrible roots ... Worried i will cry for weeks if i cant use!?

This is just one blog from a doctor but if you Google you will find lots more.

There is no definite evidence, but there may be risks associated with dying your hair during pregnancy.

May I suggest you try a non-permanent gentle colour dye to match your roots to the rest of your hair and then leave it alone for the rest of your pregnancy?

KB02 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:01:01

I think it's hair dye rather than bleach, I had my hair highlighted when pregnant the hairdresser said it was fine.

KB02 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:02:15

JUst a thought. YOu could post in style and beauty to see if any hairdressers on there can clarify this .

Alexandra6 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:48

Just read that blog - got me worried as I desperately need my roots done and am in my first trimester. I've got things like a wedding coming up so I could REALLY do with getting my hair highlighted. Highlights use bleach don't they? I know they say it doesn't come into contact with the head but they usually have to apply it so close to my roots that I do get some on my scalp.

Dynababy Tue 23-Apr-13 19:47:12

Highlights are totally fine. I have highlighted my hair hrough 2 pregnancies as have many people I know. Highlights use bleach yes but the kin contact is minimal so doesn't enter bloodstream and affect baby.... Blonde roots are yours don't worry. smile

toni1bump Tue 23-Apr-13 20:42:45

Thanks girls.. Its live colour XXL.. The lightest blonde.. Its the only dye that will match my roots sad. Im only 8 weeks so not sure what to do now!! Hmmmmm!!! confused x

BabyHMummy Tue 23-Apr-13 21:08:02

Its not poisonous but it isn't recommended. The pg hormones can have a messy effect with the chemicals in the dye...i would do a strand test even if its one you use regularly somewhere it won't show if it goes wrong.

My hairdresser refused to dye or bleach mine. At best it won't take and at worst it can damage your hair or react and go the wrong colour.

Those packs normally have a helpline number on them...maybe call that and ask their advice?

toni1bump Tue 23-Apr-13 22:17:37

Might have to just leave it! I dont want anythin to happen to me or baby.. Roll on 7 months of badddd roots!!! Lol.. Thankyou for advice x

BabyHMummy Tue 23-Apr-13 22:22:13

uI am with u on roots though...mine are about half way down my hair and the grey that has come thru is awful. The first thing i am doing when she arrives is looking in for my hair sorting. I am desperate...it is this rancid browny red and grey with black tips at the mo

toni1bump Wed 24-Apr-13 12:55:01

Haha my roots are about half an inch atm.. But only 8 weeks sad gonna have half brown hair before baby is here sad!! Gutted lol x

BabyHMummy Wed 24-Apr-13 13:04:04

Try a colour promoting shampoo like John frieda or something to prolong the blonde or talk to a hairdresser about alt options. I know henna is a no go but they might be able to suggest something as a cmopromise.

At 23+3 i am literally counting done the days. I actually got asked at work if i had changed the colour i dye my hair cos ko one has ever been me with natural look...

Rico08 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:55:46

There is usually a helpline number (for the hairdye brand) on the box or instruction leaflet, you could give them a call ?

Rico08 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:57:55

Or there's a FAQ section on the website

http://www.livecolor.com/faq/beforeapplication/

Heathbaby Wed 24-Apr-13 22:51:06

Hi all, I've seen other threads on this preciously and did some research ages ago (now 32 weeks) which suggested dyeing hair in pregnancy is generally considered to be fine. I have proper grey roots if I don't and have dyed my hair 3 times during this pregnancy so far. I think advice is maybe avoid in 1st trimester if concerned but no definite evidence of risk. I went with that..

Kelly1814 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:25:09

i've had my hair highlighted twice so far during this pregnancy, my hairdresser advised that it was fine.

there's enough to cope with in pregnancy already, without me looking like a haystack/afghan hound/golden retriever! every time i leave the hairdressers i feel like a million dollars, which has ben very rare these last few months smile

Rockchick1984 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:30:08

Garner nutrisse do an ammonia free blonde - it won't be as light as your current colour but my hairdresser recommended it to me when having DS. I did my roots every 4 weeks (hate having dark roots!) and DS is fine. Even though it didn't smell like normal hair dye I still kept the room well ventilated just to be extra careful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now