Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long will I be in hospital after birth?

(19 Posts)
Repeatedlydoingthetwist Tue 23-Apr-13 17:48:06

Just that really!

This is my first DC and I have no idea how long I'll be there after giving birth (planning a natural one) can anyone enlighten me with their experiences?

TIA

LeBoob Tue 23-Apr-13 17:53:20

I was out in 6 hours, if you have a straight forward birth this is the standard discharge time I believe.
Congrats & good luck

Florin Tue 23-Apr-13 17:53:40

I went in with contractions about 2:30am had him at 6am was home by about 5pm. Depends on the birth though mine was very straight forward with no pain relief. If you have an epidural or complications you will be in longer. It really does vary person to person. Also depends if baby feeding well and generally healthy.

Yonididnaedaethat Tue 23-Apr-13 17:55:14

I was out 6 hours later too, unless you have a c-section, epi or forseps you don't get kept in where I stay.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 23-Apr-13 17:55:59

I had ds1 at 1am and discharged myself at 10am, with ds2 I was in for 5 days as he had to go to scbu and was poorly.

mummybare Tue 23-Apr-13 18:00:05

I was in for a couple of nights despite a straightforward birth as it took a while to get breastfeeding established. If I were you, I would assume you'll be in for at least one night and if you're not it will be a bonus smile

Good luck with everything.

YoniYoniNameLeft Tue 23-Apr-13 18:01:17

If you have a natural birth with no complications you could out on your ear in as little as 6 hours.

If you have a CS you'll be in a few days. Also, it depends what time you give birth - for example, if you gave birth at 6pm you might have to stay the night whereas if you gave birth at 2 they might let you home the same day.

With my first I had an epidural so I needed to stay a night. They needed to make sure that the epi had worn off and I needed to have gone to the toilet before they discharged me.

With my second I had no pain relief, no complications at 2.20 pm and I was allowed home at 8 o clock.

My sister had her DS at tea time and she had to stay the night because she was too late for the 8pm discharge.

Smithsgirl88 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:02:49

I was in from Monday evening to Wed lunchtime. Son was cold and put under a heat lamp so had to wait for the peadatrician who checks them 24 hours later, but he knocked off at 6pm next day (had son at 7 45pm) so had to wait until the following morning (wed morming). Was not impressed as I would've gone home straight yet if they'd let me, and if I'd had baby at home they would've just wrapped him up in loads of blankets to keep him warm, anyway.

The only thing that kept me sane was that I had my own room!! And macdonalds smuggled in by my lovely partner, lol.

Smartiepants79 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:03:15

I was in for 3 nights with my 1st and 1 night with the 2nd.
It really depends on your birth and if your baby and you are well.

Smithsgirl88 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:03:47

*would've gone home straight away if they'd let me

materrules Tue 23-Apr-13 18:05:38

I was in for 6 days after emcs-although i was really poorly and was on iv antibiotics. I had planned normal waterbirth so didnt go quite to plan!

givemeaclue Tue 23-Apr-13 18:08:44

What does natural mean

I went in at 11pm on Saturday, had DD 6.25pm on Monday. Epidural, PPH & my blood pressure was all over so they made me stay until 6pm on Thursday. BORED BORED BORED. DD was good as gold & just slept whenever she wasn't feeding. Take a couple of books, puzzle magazine, anything.

CareerGirl01 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:12:55

I was in for seven days - but was induced and ended up with a emergency CS. Epidural was bodged so they had to keep me in till I could stand up without being sick (it affected my balance). Didnt mind it in the end; because I wasn't so mobile and a few nights were really quiet the midwives looked after DD and I got some sleep!!

nextphase Tue 23-Apr-13 18:21:17

Totally depends. Not less than 6 hours round here.
If you have a home birth, you don't need to go in at all. Think we were all alone with DS2 when he was less than 90 mins old. Midwife came back later that day with the paperwork (unplanned homebirth, might not be the case if planned!)

I stayed in one night, but could have stayed another if I had felt I needed to. My advice is to leave as soon as you can as you'll get more sleep at home. Your baby will be very sleepy for the first couple of days so it is an easy introduction and you'll be fine at home.

sunshine401 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:29:08

I was induced for my first so had to be in 48 hrs before and stay 24 hrs after.
Second time got to the hospital at 11 pm had baby at 12 am went home 9 am.
Third time arrived 2 pm had baby by 2:20 went home 6:00 grin

Although I never had pain relief for any, I do not know if it changes if you use anything.

AnitaManeater Tue 23-Apr-13 18:36:04

It's 3hrs here after a straightforward delivery. i had a bath after dd, packed my bags up, put her in the carseat and left the hospital at 6am in the morning. 24hrs after straightforward c section with Ds2. It depends on how you and babe are doing. Didn't feel under any pressure here.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Tue 23-Apr-13 20:55:17

Thank you all for the input smile

Here's hoping I'm in the 6 hour club!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now