Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The things people say

(59 Posts)
Simian0 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:44:20

Am 40 weeks+ 3 and have been getting floods of 'advice' from people as to how to get things started. It's made me reflect on all the things people have said over the past few months. I don't know about you guys but being pregnant seems to attract a number of comments/advice/opinion from people (known and random) about everything to do with your pregnancy. Thought it could be fun to try to capture some of the funnier ones here.

What types of things have people said to you during your pregnancy that have made you roll your eyes back in your head, or made you want to drop an anvil on them?

Things like....

1. "Make sure you get plenty of sleep to see you through when the baby comes" - like you can 'bank' sleep reserves. If you could wouldn't we all do this all of the time anyway? Sleep for 48hours non-stop then don't again for 6 months. Genius!

2. " it's best not finding out the sex as it's what keeps you going through labour" - like if I knew it were a boy or a girl I'd be tempted just to give up half way through and not push the whole thing out!

3. "Ooh, you're all out the front so it must be a girl"

4. "Ooh, you're all out the front so it must be a boy"

These have all amused me untold over the months.

Any to add?....

LabradorMama Wed 24-Apr-13 12:47:02

Trixielox - that is unbelievable! What, exactly, does she think they are for???

Petcat Wed 24-Apr-13 14:37:10

Yesterday, on the bench waiting to hear baby's heartbeat at my 34 week antenatal check.

Midwife: oo, you've got a really weird shaped bump

Me: sad

I had "are you doing it the cheaters way this time? "In regards to the fact I had an epidural!
1) this girl still had drugs just not that one?!? So no idea why It was just me that "cheated"
2) I don't make the decision to not have pain relief when having a filling etc ...... Is this not the same thing?
3) I must have missed the medals they hand out to all those superior women who didn't use drugs like me

Bunnylion Fri 26-Apr-13 14:56:21

TrixieLox your SIL sounds like a moron.

SmileAndPeopleSmileWithYou Fri 26-Apr-13 16:51:23

"Don't complain about being bored, you'll wish you were bored once DC is here!" hmm

"You're really big aren't you, you wont go to 40 weeks!" (I went 2 weeks over)

syl1985 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:11:39

It's nice to share with people that you're pregnant, but people find it difficult to remember that there're still some things you keep private or you simple don't wish to talk about with others.

With my other pregnancies people thought I had twins, because I had a big belly.

Do you know what it's? Are you going to find out what it's? I hate these questions.
Some even ask that when you're only a couple of weeks. Like if it's important what it's.
It's a baby you idiot!!!

I wasn't even 20 weeks yet and someone asked me if I know the name. First of all that might be private, second no, I don't know the name yet.
Hoo, you got to hurry up with the name!!! I was annoyed and said: I've got still 20 weeks to go, more then enough time to think of one.

With my first child I was waiting and waiting for him to come. Someone said to me to have sex with my partner.
And even said my partner should finger me, because that will make the baby come faster.
THAT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

I'm only 1.60 metre high.
hoo that must hurt when you get the baby. You're only small, so you must also be small down there too.

I also hate it when people want to touch my belly.
Most of who want to touch it just do it without asking.
But if they ask what to say to them?

You got to stay nice to them. Same as people who want to touch newborns or see them as soon as possible when they're born.

I soooo hate that.
My body and my baby are not public property. I want to share my happiness with everyone. But at the same time I want everyone to respect my privacy.

After my first was born my brother was even unhappy that he wasn't the first to know about it.
We sent a text message or an e-mail to everyone we know at the same time. He wanted to be the first and get a more personal message.

HELLO!!! I've just given birth. I've other things to do then have a phone call with you and tell you all the ins and outs of the delivery.

It's not always easy being or becoming a parent. Especially with all the idiots around us these days who thinks that someone who is pregnant doesn't have any privacy anymore.
They seem to think that it's ok to say anything and to touch whenever they want!

shelli135 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:40:49

After you've had the baby.........'now the hard work starts'...

No... Really???? I thought it would come out walking and talking and be. Able to feed itself.... Silly me shock

BelissimaLol Fri 26-Apr-13 18:37:53

I've collected a few....
- wow you have left it late haven't you? (I'm 39)
- how old??? Have you had ivf???? (No!) - wow you are lucky!
- you must not find out the sex. You should only hope it to be healthy. Cause if I know the sex I won't mind if its not healthy!
- you must not come back to work full time ( cause they after my job!)
- you will have to hurry up and have a second one straight after cause you are so old (and if I don't want another one?) - are you crazy!? Only children are full of problems. Thanks, I'm an only child.
The list goes on...

Steffanoid Fri 26-Apr-13 20:08:37

My work colleagues kept asking and commenting that I'm going to have to give birth soon, the response of well he's coming out one way or another freaks them right out and as soon as you say you've got a possible name but aren't telling anyone all you get is but you can tell me though.. Sorry did I say we aren't telling anyone but you even though we've not told our families?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now