Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could the ultrasound be wrong about baby's sex?:)

(30 Posts)
RainbowBabyMum Sun 21-Apr-13 22:33:44

Hi
Is it possible that the ultrasound show boy at 20 weeks but later it turn out to be girl?

RainbowBabyMum Mon 22-Apr-13 14:46:34

PacificDogwood and AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate, thank you very much.
I'm so happy that baby is ok, just want him to be alive and healthy.
I think I should stop to think about the gendersmilesmile

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Mon 22-Apr-13 12:51:46

So sorry for your loss OP. I don't have personal experience of this, but pregnancy after loss is such an emotional time, I think different things can really hit you. Finding out the gender can be one of those things. A friend found that finding out she was having another girl was hard - it sort of thumped it home that the baby she was having could never replace the girl she had lost, if you see what I mean.

There are lovely ladies on the bereavement boards who I am sure would be happy to talk?

RainbowBabyBum, so sorry for your loss sad.

I hope your pregnancy continues to go well and that you have your dream baby by the end of it x.

MortifiedAdams Mon 22-Apr-13 10:50:22

This is why I wouldnt want to know. It isnt certain.

Our hospital said 99% sure it was a boy. I read somewhere they will only tell you if more than 95% confident but not sure how true that is.
We have had a 3d scan to double check.

Fakebook Mon 22-Apr-13 10:34:19

I think it's harder to sex a girl than a boy. If you've been told its a boy, then it probably definitely is.

ShadowStorm Mon 22-Apr-13 10:19:37

Yes, it's possible.

I know someone who was told their baby was a boy after the ultrasound. Turned out baby was a girl, and the sonographer had mistaken a bit of umbilical cord for a willy.

But AFAIK, it's much commoner for sonographers to get it wrong the other way round - they're more likely to be right about it being a boy than they are about it being a girl.

MadameJosephine Mon 22-Apr-13 10:17:07

It's definitely possible but not common, especially getting a boy wrong. The sonographer should have explained that at the time though, we actually get our patients to sign a form to say they understand it's not 100% accurate

WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Mon 22-Apr-13 10:12:06

I was told girl but got a boy x

I know 1 person who was told she was having a boy, she was so convinced it was a girl that everything she bought was pink.

It was infact, a girl!

cupcake78 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:08:26

Yes I know 3 couples who have had scans and prepared for one gender and baby has been the other!

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 09:38:04

DD1 was incredibly uncooperative on the scan (shoved hands out to stop the view and everything) the most we could get was "probably a girl" and the sonographer didn't seem very sure on it - so we didn't go nuts buying girlie stuff.

DD2 - very cooperative - lay there sucking her thumb legs akimbo - sonographer seemed very sure she was a girl.

Both, obviously, were girls. I'd been utterly convinced first time around I was having a boy though.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 07:14:42

Yes, it happened to the woman in the next bed to me when I had DC3.

RainbowBabyMum Mon 22-Apr-13 07:07:48

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate, we lost a girl and I don't know why, but I was pretty sure that this time it's a girl again. I didn't expect at all, that it would be difficult for me to beleive that it's as boy....
But now I'm a bit more ready to assume, that it can be a boysmile

cheeseandpineapple Sun 21-Apr-13 23:18:41

Yes happened to me. At two sep scans told most likely a boy and then at 24 weeks was told he was a she, couldn't quite believe it until she was born but I think what happened with us is fairly unusual. Everyone else I know had an accurate assessment.

LandsN Sun 21-Apr-13 23:06:07

My friend was told she was having twin boys till the day before they was born when it turned out to b one of each she has bought everything blue x

thenightsky Sun 21-Apr-13 22:49:49

DD looked like a boy on ultrasound. I had names and everything. When she was born it mattered not a jot.

Why are you asking, OP?
Are you upset about what you have been told?

worley Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:56

yes. a very very good sonographer where I work told a friend they were having a boy..... but it's a girl!!
girls bits swell up to look like testicles..

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:16

Me and DP have wondered about this. We got told our little one is a boy but the sonographer said:

"Looks like a boy to me but wait...there seems to be a lot of cord round that area...I think...yes, you can see cord there" and left it at that!

Thanks for that, mate. hmm

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 21-Apr-13 22:43:17

Yes, totally possible. Both ways. Sometimes cord gets mistaken for boy bits and sometimes boy bits hide. I personally know people who've had both versions of this mistake.

I saw your user name. Are you upset about the gender you have been told for some reason? Want to talk about it?

I have a friend who was told she was having a boy, she had a girl.

TinkyPeet Sun 21-Apr-13 22:42:34

^ that's what I meant, usually they don't tell you it's s boy unless they have seen bits on the scan, although you could always go for a private 3d scan for a second opinion x

Happened with my Db , all the way through the pregnancy my mum was told he was a girl

BriansBrain Sun 21-Apr-13 22:41:03

Our Louis turned out to be a Lucy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now