Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Could the ultrasound be wrong about baby's sex?:)

(30 Posts)
RainbowBabyMum Sun 21-Apr-13 22:33:44

Hi
Is it possible that the ultrasound show boy at 20 weeks but later it turn out to be girl?

TinkyPeet Sun 21-Apr-13 22:37:42

I don't think so Hun no x

Yes, it's possible.

WeAreSix Sun 21-Apr-13 22:40:16

Yes completely possible.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 21-Apr-13 22:40:42

My understanding is its almost unheard of for a baby in womb identified as a boy to be wrong - think external bits, but sometimes bits aren't seen on the scan due to angle etc so a girl is assumed wrongly.

BriansBrain Sun 21-Apr-13 22:41:03

Our Louis turned out to be a Lucy grin

Happened with my Db , all the way through the pregnancy my mum was told he was a girl

TinkyPeet Sun 21-Apr-13 22:42:34

^ that's what I meant, usually they don't tell you it's s boy unless they have seen bits on the scan, although you could always go for a private 3d scan for a second opinion x

I have a friend who was told she was having a boy, she had a girl.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 21-Apr-13 22:43:17

Yes, totally possible. Both ways. Sometimes cord gets mistaken for boy bits and sometimes boy bits hide. I personally know people who've had both versions of this mistake.

I saw your user name. Are you upset about the gender you have been told for some reason? Want to talk about it?

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:16

Me and DP have wondered about this. We got told our little one is a boy but the sonographer said:

"Looks like a boy to me but wait...there seems to be a lot of cord round that area...I think...yes, you can see cord there" and left it at that!

Thanks for that, mate. hmm

worley Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:56

yes. a very very good sonographer where I work told a friend they were having a boy..... but it's a girl!!
girls bits swell up to look like testicles..

Why are you asking, OP?
Are you upset about what you have been told?

thenightsky Sun 21-Apr-13 22:49:49

DD looked like a boy on ultrasound. I had names and everything. When she was born it mattered not a jot.

LandsN Sun 21-Apr-13 23:06:07

My friend was told she was having twin boys till the day before they was born when it turned out to b one of each she has bought everything blue x

cheeseandpineapple Sun 21-Apr-13 23:18:41

Yes happened to me. At two sep scans told most likely a boy and then at 24 weeks was told he was a she, couldn't quite believe it until she was born but I think what happened with us is fairly unusual. Everyone else I know had an accurate assessment.

RainbowBabyMum Mon 22-Apr-13 07:07:48

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate, we lost a girl and I don't know why, but I was pretty sure that this time it's a girl again. I didn't expect at all, that it would be difficult for me to beleive that it's as boy....
But now I'm a bit more ready to assume, that it can be a boysmile

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 07:14:42

Yes, it happened to the woman in the next bed to me when I had DC3.

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 09:38:04

DD1 was incredibly uncooperative on the scan (shoved hands out to stop the view and everything) the most we could get was "probably a girl" and the sonographer didn't seem very sure on it - so we didn't go nuts buying girlie stuff.

DD2 - very cooperative - lay there sucking her thumb legs akimbo - sonographer seemed very sure she was a girl.

Both, obviously, were girls. I'd been utterly convinced first time around I was having a boy though.

cupcake78 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:08:26

Yes I know 3 couples who have had scans and prepared for one gender and baby has been the other!

I know 1 person who was told she was having a boy, she was so convinced it was a girl that everything she bought was pink.

It was infact, a girl!

WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Mon 22-Apr-13 10:12:06

I was told girl but got a boy x

MadameJosephine Mon 22-Apr-13 10:17:07

It's definitely possible but not common, especially getting a boy wrong. The sonographer should have explained that at the time though, we actually get our patients to sign a form to say they understand it's not 100% accurate

ShadowStorm Mon 22-Apr-13 10:19:37

Yes, it's possible.

I know someone who was told their baby was a boy after the ultrasound. Turned out baby was a girl, and the sonographer had mistaken a bit of umbilical cord for a willy.

But AFAIK, it's much commoner for sonographers to get it wrong the other way round - they're more likely to be right about it being a boy than they are about it being a girl.

Fakebook Mon 22-Apr-13 10:34:19

I think it's harder to sex a girl than a boy. If you've been told its a boy, then it probably definitely is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now