Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

To take or not to take Benadryl...

(5 Posts)
DejaB00 Sat 20-Apr-13 22:16:37

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with a pollen allergy for about 8 years-which makes me break out in horrible little red spots with white heads on my neck, chin and forehead.
I had a day out in the sunshine yesterday and the little blighters are back with a vengeance. I have found over the years that the only thing that helps is to take Benadryl (acrivastine-NOT the one a day one) 3 times daily when the weather is dry and sunny.
Has anyone done this/been told not to?

Casmama Sat 20-Apr-13 22:22:06

Not a doctor but the product info states that it hasn't been studied and should only be used if the benefit outweighs any risk to the foetus which is hard to determine if it hasn't been studied.
Hopefully someone else will be along who has more practical experience.
As a 1 off I might have risked it but certainly would not start taking something x3 daily without consulting my GP.

drawohamme Mon 22-Apr-13 18:39:49

I found this really useful...

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x549371/can-i-treat-my-hayfever-safely-while-im-pregnant

EwanHoozami Iran Mon 22-Apr-13 18:42:19

Does Piriton help? The older version that makes you a bit drowsy, rather than the one-a-day. Because that's safe in 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Check with the pharmacist that you've got the right one, obv.

I was prescribed piriton whilst pregnant.

Personally I would ring the GP...plus there's an advantage of free prescriptions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now