Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Alcohol free wine

(24 Posts)
Yonionekanobe Sun 21-Apr-13 20:50:50

I drank Becks Blue in my first pregnancy and DH and I liked it so much we have continued to drink it occasionally of fancy a beer but don't want alcohol. After my first trimester I had a really nice glass of red wine once a week usually with my Sunday roast!

LooeyLou Sun 21-Apr-13 18:37:39

Thanks all well the one from Tesco is gross! Just fed up with drinking lemonade and want something to have instead just can't find one thanks for all the tips will work my way through them! smile

lurcherlover Sun 21-Apr-13 17:23:49

My fave grown-up soft drink in pregnancy was ginger beer with a shot of lime cordial in it. Blueberry juice mixed with bitter lemon is good too.

fanjobiscuits Sun 21-Apr-13 16:39:37

Sainsbos do a nice 0.5% cider. Ocado used to do a drinkable sparkling non alc wine. Chapel Hill I think?

MistressofPemberley Sun 21-Apr-13 07:39:29

Have a glass of decent wine. You'll really enjoy it. Can't wait for mine today with Sunday lunch.

crazyhead Sun 21-Apr-13 07:12:59

I agree with science rocks - I'd rather have the odd glass of proper wine, and alcohol free mojitos are genuinely nice. Beck's blue isn't bad either.

All of the alcohol free ones are vile, like a sweet, odd and much more horrible version of Liebfraumilch. I think the level of vileness to you will depend a bit on the wine you liked before pregnancy - if you like a nice dry, crisp sort of white, really, really forget it. I guess that Liebfraumilch style drinkers would be less bothered but it must have a dwindling fan base these days.

ScienceRocks Sun 21-Apr-13 00:05:24

M and S does some low alcohol cocktaily type wines that are nice, like bellinis. Otherwise one glass of normal wine every now and then is much better than battling through awful alcohol free or low alcohol versions.

Mocktails are the way to go - elderflower cordial with fizzy water feels like more of a treat and is yummy, spicy Virgin Mary, alcohol free daiquiris...

bellabelly Sat 20-Apr-13 23:52:15
bellabelly Sat 20-Apr-13 23:51:40

I found some ok-ish ones on the LoNo website when I was pg a few years ago. But the wines were never as good as the alcohol-free beers (which I still tend to drink even now I'm no longer with child!).

I got fed up of having the same old soft drinks and often wanted a glass of "wine" with dinner rather than the soft drinks which were a bit too sweet and not very grown-up. In my second pregnancy to be honest, if I felt like a glass of actual wine, I'd just have one...

changeforthebetter Sat 20-Apr-13 23:41:42

Erdinger - that was it. Will try to find some locally for next time am driving smile

changeforthebetter Sat 20-Apr-13 23:32:07

There is no such thing as decent alcohol free wine, sorry! Sainsbo used to do a half decent beer which was alcohol-free which I had in both pregnancies. Own label and a million miles better than that vile stuff which most restaurants sell. Ooh and I had a lovely weißbeer on the banks of the Thames in a German restaurant. That was alcohol-free and gorgeous.

Teaandflapjacks Sat 20-Apr-13 23:28:37

I would also recommend Erdinger Alchohol Free - fantastic stuff.

The wine tastes like old socks, and smells like them too - any alcohol free wine IMO. I find sparkling water with elderflower cordial nice, or soda and lime too, obv. not the same as some decent plonk. envy

RugBugs Sat 20-Apr-13 22:36:15

Tourtel is an alcohol free beer brewed by kronenbourg that actually tastes just like a French lager should. No hoppy taste whatsoever, sorry to the previous posters but I found becks blue quite unpalatable.
Hoegarden also make their wheat beer and their rosé wheat beer in 0% but I don't think they're available in the uk sad there's no way the stash I brought back from Belgium will last me til August.

Mu51cal Sat 20-Apr-13 22:23:01

Alcohol free wine is manageable if you mix it with tonic water - tastes less sweet... Bavaria is the best non-alcohol beer imo... Did a blind test & could taste the difference... Good luck!

Justaperfectday Sat 20-Apr-13 22:22:50

Another vote for Becks Blue, can't see the point in alcohol free wine would rather have a fruit juice!

LooeyLou Sat 20-Apr-13 22:20:50

Thanks all ill go searching! smile

Forget the wine stick to the alcohol free Kopperberg, it is yummy. Also really like Becks Blue so just repeating Midori's post really!

Soopermum1 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:30:43

I bought a bottle on Waitrose. Was the devil's drink- absolutely vile, went down the sink.

midori1999 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:28:47

it just tastes like grape juice/shloer.

Becks Blue is OK if you're looking for alcohol free beer and the alcohol free kopperberg (sp?) are nice too, but that's because alcoholic kopperburg tastes alcohol free... grin

Cavort Sat 20-Apr-13 21:24:32

I have tried to find one and failed miserably. Some are better then others but in all of them you can tell the good bit is missing! smile

LooeyLou Sat 20-Apr-13 20:44:00

Oh no this is not what I wanted to hear sad but secretly expected!

I really miss wine!

holidaysdistantmemory Sat 20-Apr-13 20:40:10

I had a bottle last pregnancy and it tasted like a poor man's Schloer but twice the cost.

SeriousStuff Sat 20-Apr-13 20:37:19

I'm sorry to say that I have tried a few plus 0 alcohol beer and I didn't get on with any of them, but from what I've read on here it tends to be down to individual taste.

I miss wine...

LooeyLou Sat 20-Apr-13 20:33:50

Ok ladies help me, are there any decent ones out there or are they all horrendous?!

All help appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now