Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being patronised.

(9 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Sat 20-Apr-13 10:49:59

Why is so much pregnancy info in such a patronising tone ? I have just started reading 'The womanly art of breastfeeding' and it is making me angry ! most websites are the same and even bloody sales (bloody emma's diary selling info on !) people talk to me like I am stupid. Where is there a good source of info that is in 'normal' English so I can find facts and make my own choices ?

SuffolkNWhat Sat 20-Apr-13 10:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drawohamme Sat 20-Apr-13 15:43:17

I second babycenter, almost everything else treats you like you're a moron. DH keeps reminding me that a lot of this stuff is being written for idiots and I should be patient (compliment?!)

mrspaddy Sat 20-Apr-13 15:49:36

Have you read What to Expect ? I think it is fairly informative without being too patronising. It is dull though. I only dip in now and again.

MiaowTheCat Sat 20-Apr-13 15:56:01

Can I add in my patronising pet hate? Being called "mum" by grown adults before I've even given birth. But if you think it's patronising now - wait till you hit the post natal ward where I was heard to darkly mutter on several occasions that "I've had a fucking baby not a lobotomy."

Guitargirl Sat 20-Apr-13 16:05:00

I remember being told off by my own mother for referring to the paediatricians on the post-natal ward as 'baby doctors'. I was just copying how all the midwives referred to them!

I think it is important to remember though that pregnancy is one of the few health conditions that can potentially affect mass numbers of women with a range of backgrounds/IQs/language abilities. The majority of information produced has to be digestable by all women who might need it.

fertilityFTW Sat 20-Apr-13 18:38:04

I've had a different consultant at each and every appointment (high risk for low BMI) - and each is more patronising than the last. It's driving me crazy and I have to suppress serious rage after most of the talking down...grrr. Fair enough maybe for a publication that has to go out to mass audience with different levels of understanding - but if you're interacting with someone, surely you can gauge their level of comprehension and not automatically equate 'pregnant' with 'dense'. <and breathe!>

Oh, and the form I had to sign to consent to elcs for breech under type of operation reads - 'cut in tummy for baby' hmm

SomethingOnce Sat 20-Apr-13 21:44:04

When Phil, 'the baby doctor', introduced himself on the postnatal ward, I so wanted to ask him to run along and fetch a grown-up.

I understand why they take this approach though. Far preferable for me to feel a bit hmm than for anyone to ever feel confused

Springforward Sat 20-Apr-13 21:48:45

I think "the womanly art of BF" is particularly bad to be honest, I read it while doing peer supporter training and despite being very pro BF it actually made me feel angry! I later leant it to a friend for the advice on latch but warned her that she might also want to throw it across the room when she got to lifestyle-y bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now