Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Any maternity clothes advice please??!!

(83 Posts)
Sluggers Sat 20-Apr-13 07:55:44

OK I need some new clothes as mine are getting too tight. I'm only 15 weeks though with my 1st so have pretty non-existent bump.

I need jeans, a couple of work type shirts or tops and a tankini or something for swimming.

I'm not great at buying online - although accept I'll probably have to. But today, I'm off to the shops.

Oh - and I really don't want to spend a fortune.

Any advice, tips, must haves, things to avoid greatly appreciated.

xxx

Meringue33 Sun 21-Apr-13 09:00:53

I found New Look best as cheap and contemporary looking. Lots of Mothercare stuff is very frumpy (obsessed with sailor stripes). Elasticated skinny jeans are great post preg too. If you are planning on bf you may wish to invest in clothes that double up as nursing tops, ditto bras.

Don't underestimate how large you may grow! I sent back a lovely Seraphine coat as it was far too big for me at 20 weeks. Got the next size down... By the time I gave birth every button had popped off!

fibrecruncher Sun 21-Apr-13 10:52:05

Hi snickersnacker. I know the wimbledon H&M branch has an ok range of maternity stuff. Got some leggings, tights and joggers in there and really like them all.

I've just been to mothercare and they have some lovely summer tops and dresses in

Teatimecakes Sun 21-Apr-13 19:26:12

I got loads of really good quality stuff on eBay. I invested in a few versatile new bits from next and mama jojo bebe. I was pg thru summer and I found new look great for summery bargains!

CocktailSausage Mon 22-Apr-13 00:04:05

Snickersnacker the H & M branch on Regent St stocks maternity wear smile

megarobotdiscoparty Mon 22-Apr-13 06:45:00

Best things I've found are stretchy waistband skirts and vests from Primark - no spending guilt and still fitting and looking good at 36 weeks. Everything else I've stuck to proper maternity wear as agree with others can often make you feel bigger. M&P sales and eBay (avoid trial and error by working out what size you are in a certain brand first- varies massively - at one point I was a 10 in Next mat trousers and a 16 in H&M).

Have also invested in some maternity dungarees which I'd dreamed about (I know I know) wearing pre-pregnancy and are the comfiest things ever. Having a massive comeback this season so I found were selling for even more on ebay than new! Got mine off Amazon in the end and they're ace.

A friend advised me last night to get a bump band as maternity trousers would probably fall down since I've not got a big bump!

Ordered one so will try that before buying any clothes

kd83 Tue 23-Apr-13 09:57:17

this is a great post, I'm also 15 weeks and just starting to grow out of my regular clothes although more frump than bump at the moment. I've done a lot of internet trawling and I think I'm going to try topshop for jeans and also mothercare. i just got a denim shirt dress in the next clearance section for a steal and its great, so going to keep looking there, but i don't really like the look of any of their trousers.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread for other useful suggestions, thanks ladies.

Pusspuss1 Tue 23-Apr-13 15:44:00

I've got some quite useful tshirts from H&M (the one on Regent St carries the maternity range, if you're going to be in London). They do a pair of vest tops in black and white which are proving really useful, flattering and fitted, and will go under most non-maternity tops so I can use them for a bit longer.

I've also had two pairs of jeans from Seraphine, which are brilliant, and a few of their tops, which are ok. I just bought my normal size and they fit very well. Loving the navy blue skinnies in particular.

Franykins Wed 24-Apr-13 10:59:35

I am only 8 weeks so really shouldn't need mat wear yet but my jeans are just so uncomfy sad I can still get them on and do them up but by the end of the day I feel so bloated and need to undo them when sat at my desk! I decided to just get a pair of mat jeans as the rest of my clothes are fine still. I got them in H&M and love them! They are over the bump ones so a bit big but I'll grow into them and just tuck the band it no my bra haha. The legs are such a good fit and better than any skinny jeans I have ever had apart from one pair. Admittedly I am a bit over weight round my belly but have always had thin legs so that maybe the problem with normal jeans! I did have a good look at the H&M stuff and thought it all looked nice (also got a maxi dress in their mat sale for £5 ready for the warmer weather when I will be bigger thought it was silly not too wink )

kd83 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:44:03

Just got two great pairs of maternity jeans and the worlds best invention the belly band in topshop at westfields Stratford. Didn't get them for £15 unfortunately but they were definitely a good investment and will last me a good while as well as post preg for a bit too.

Highly recommend.

mummymacaroni Sun 12-May-13 18:44:09

agree with kd83! I bought a couple of skinny maternity jeans from Topshop and although they were £38 each, I'm so glad I have bought them as I just alternate between the two so I'm definitely getting value out of them!

I've written about my maternity purchases - www.mummymacaroni.co.uk/pregnancy/stylish-maternity-clothes-from-the-high-street/ as I wasn't keen to buy maternity clothes at first but so glad I did smile

Heather55 Wed 22-May-13 08:45:30

A friend recommended Morph maternity to me recently. So I decided to give it a try and believe me, their maternity wear is fantastic! The stretchy fabric accommodates the growing belly and is extremely comfortable.They are affordable too,i got them online.Their tops have discreet openings for nursing,really pretty.

Myneaux Wed 22-May-13 14:42:47

Am currently 22 weeks with DC2....best places are New look and H&M. Gap stuff is nice but pricier.

My best buys this time have been 2 pairs of skinny overbump jeans from New Look )only £15.99!) and Mothercare. Both were true to size in a 10 but I did have to have them taken up.

I am struggling with vests as the non maternity ones arent long enough to cover the big elastic panel on the jeans (I think I have quite a long body and bump is all at the front which doesn help). However, a couple of basic T shirts from H&M with normal colourful cardigans have been great.

I bought a black wrap dress from Red Herring which has been excellent for work and very comfy...looks a bit Isabelle Oliver but got it in the sale for £20.

I have also just bought a stretchy tube maxi dress from asos in navy.....looks really flattering with statement necklace and cropped denim jacket. When I am 30+ weeks in August I think this will be the 'go to' outfit for coolness and comfort.

From past experience I wouldnt recommend buying too much non maternity in a size up because you think you will wear it afterwards. In truth I found the last thing i wanted to wear afterwards was anything that I associated with pregnancy or that made me look pregnant. I found within about 6 weeks I was back into my pre pregnancy clothes (well some of them at least!) so it wouldnt have been much of an investment.

vkinski Wed 22-May-13 15:44:35

Anyone came across maternity trousers for us taller ladies? I'm 5'11 and dreading having to go out and find longer length maternity trousers. I am guessing it is probably going to be leggings and dresses for me as I struggle to get decent length normal trousers, nevermind in a mat range!

drawohamme Wed 22-May-13 18:00:42

If you want something a wee bit trendier and nice and cheap, try monki.com. They are H&M owned and although they don't do maternity per say, if you need cool tops and dresses to go with mat skinnies and leggings you could do far worse. I've had lots of nice compliments and Ive barely spent anything smile

bloomintots Tue 11-Jun-13 14:21:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

marylee Thu 27-Jun-13 12:59:35

I think you should follow some apparels store specifically for maternity dresses like - CherishMaternity.
Here you'll find all the maternity dresses, night wears.

nancerama Thu 27-Jun-13 13:13:33

Sign up to the Isabella Oliver mailing list. They have flash sales and 50% off days from time to time. I bought stuff from there when it was cheap. When I had no u for the maternity clothes any Korea I resold them on eBay for way more than I'd paid originally. I just listed as "rare colour" instead of last season!

Boosiehs Thu 27-Jun-13 13:15:06

new Look has been best for me. T shirt dresses for work with a cardi have been great.

jeans too - although they do come up big.

I got skinny jeans from Primark a few weeks ago and they are great - V LONG and a bit on the big side. Never mind they were cheap!

Vests from Mothercare are long - and have nursing clasps for after the baby is born.

Oh and nicked a load of my sister's clothes - thank god she had the sprogs first! they are from Mamas & P, and Mothercare.

Oh and I got a couple of Isabella Oliver dresses in the Cocosa sale. V cheap but they do come up v big.

kd83 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:08:18

I have also recently found Asos to be quite good. Their bodycon dresses are great and offer a little bump support as well.

I still stand by the bump band. i'm now 25 weeks and still wearing my normal jeans just undone with a bump band over the top.

u32ng Sun 30-Jun-13 07:44:50

Spend more money on things if you can! 9 months is a long time!

My recommendations:
H&M over bump straight leg jeans - so flattering & comfy.
Jojo maman wrap top - seriously worth every penny & can be used afterwards too. Wish I'd got 2!
eBay - I got 2 pairs of Seraphine jeans each for less than £15 & they're about £60! Go to the website to see what size you'd be & then go ebaying.
Fat Face - because the style of some of their tops are 'smock-y' and roomy I bought my usual 10 when I was about where you are now & it saw me through to the end & after. I was all bump though & fairly neat so I suppose it depends on how you're growing.
Primark - I bought nighties for labour for about £4 each which were actually very nice but the price meant I didn't feel precious when 1 got binned afterwards. If I'd bought them earlier I could've got the use of them for sleeping prior to labour.

Don't bother with:
Button waistband extender thingies - I only used mine a few times when I went for a week's hillwalking holiday at about 16 weeks & needed to fit into my walking trousers rather than buy another expensive pair!

u32ng Sun 30-Jun-13 07:46:04

Oops! Meant to mention Topshop maternity as well. I got a fab dress there for Christmas.

u32ng Sun 30-Jun-13 07:49:40

Oh! AND h&m maternity vest tops were brilliant as they were cheap, nice & long so no chance of bump peek-a-boo. I was quite sad to pack them away too.

Sorry for the additional posts - post-baby brain just catching up!

PrincessOfChina Sun 30-Jun-13 08:02:38

Topshop was pretty much the only place I liked the maternity wear when I was pregnant. I had a couple of pairs of work trousers from there, and two pairs of Baxter jeans which were under bump and fab. I mainly wore those with normal tops sized up or vests and cardigans. I also wore a lot of dresses and leggings.

I am always amazed why the makers of high street maternity clothes assume that pregnant women a) like the style of clothes their mother would wear, b) don't work and therefore wear horrid combat trousers and appliqué tops and c) like to pay over the odds for said horrid clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now