Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Young mums-to-be?

(31 Posts)
Dittle Fri 19-Apr-13 16:48:26

Hey smile

I'm just new to this so bear with me :P

I was just wondering if there are any young mums-to-be on mumsnet? I'm 18 and recently found out that I'm two months pregnant and I would like to chat to other people in a similar situation.

So... yeah, that's all I have to say. smile

Bloob Sun 01-Sep-13 22:48:01

Hello!

I've never really been on a thread like this before but I can't tell anyone else I'm pregnant yet and I'm excited! - I'm only 5 weeks smile

This is my third dc. I have dd who is 4.1 and ds who is 14 months. I think I may have lost my mind grin

Oh and I'm 23. I found age to be an issue when I had dd as I lived in a really unfriendly area. It was awful. I was so lonely.
Now however, I have a great group of (mostly older tbh) friends and its a total non-issue. You do get a lot of narrow minded people, but to be honest, if it wasn't age they were judging you on, it would be something else.

Hi smile. Im 20 and 27weeks pregnant. Due 2nd.december!! smile having a little girl. Wasnt a planned baby but we're very excited! smile

chillisbopper Mon 02-Sep-13 01:08:24

Hi smile

Congratulations thanks the 12 week scan is so wonderful I couldn't believe how 'human' our boy looked so young! 20 week scan was great to compare his growth and see things in better detail. I had to have additional scanning so I now have 7 lovely photos and got another scan in a couple of weeks! I love them I find them so reassuring and I get so excited seeing him grin

I'm 21 and 27+3 with our first, a boy grin. Due in late November just after my 22nd birthday (october) and DH's 30th (early November). It's going to be such a nice Christmas!! smile

I have a large family and one of my sisters had a baby when she was 17, another 2 were 22 when they had their firsts. So I've not had any of the "you're too young" comments thankfully. But I did feel so awkward buying the pregnancy tests, I had DH go to the till the first ones and when I wanted more to confirm I payed left handed so my wedding ring was showing incase anybody decided to say anything lol. I've had a fair few "how will you afford a baby" comments but my husband works long hard hours so we are doing okay I'm not too concerned thankfully smile.

But I know what you mean when people judge by age. When I went back to college at 19 I was engaged and we had to do that usual intro stuff "say something interesting about yourself" kinda thing, I literally had nothing else to say except that I was getting married in 5 months, at that time I was kinda one track minded...my tutor turned around and said "why?!" in such a disapproving manner I was so annoyed! I was 20 when we got married in February 2012. Sooo many people also thought it must be because I was pregnant as I was "so young!". I just think age is a state of mind, just because you're young doesn't mean you'll be a bad mother or wife or that you're not ready for it.

Incidentally I am returning to university to do law in October just before I'm due! So that should be fun grin. My mum had her first at 17 and by 26 she was a single mother with 6 children aged between 8.5 and new born (that sounds bad but her partner - oldest 3s dad died and my dad her husband left for mrs.next door when I was a baby) anyway she got her phd while working to support us all on her own, I always think if she could do it anybody can smile

MultipleMama Mon 02-Sep-13 01:49:22

Chilli - I married young too, I was 19. My mum had me when she was 20 and my dad was 21 so they were always supportive and the fact that DH and I were together and planned to be traditional and get married (even those ds1 was born first!).

I have over 30 scan photos due to constant scans and monitoring. Also have a 3D scan and video. They're in the twins memory book. It's crazy and all too real when they start to get facial features!

Most comments came from seeing a pregnant teenager and older man (DH is only 6 years older) to them he was "grooming" me, laugh about it now after 7 years together I think those people got the hint!

Good luck in the rest of your PG smile

DaleyBump Mon 02-Sep-13 01:57:21

Hi smile I'm 18 and expecting my little boy in November (27+2) so just a day behind you chillisbopper! Funnily enough, DP and I were planning our wedding before I fell pregnant and it's kind of gone by the wayside now. We've been together for 4 years now and I was so looking forward to getting married but we'll just do it when the wee one is a little bit older smile I'm having visions of my little buy as a page boy in a kilt and it's making me all teary hormonal? Not me, oh no. Congratulations to all of you smile

DaleyBump Mon 02-Sep-13 02:53:42

*guy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now