Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

really pissed off with midwife

(20 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 18-Apr-13 09:44:23

Just had a mw appointment and when she did thebabys heart rate she asked if we knew what we where having, I said no as we wanted a surprise and she told me it's a girl's heart rate. Does she not get the word surprise!
How reliable is heart rate for sexing? I'm feeling really miffed at her for even hinting at a certain sex.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 18-Apr-13 09:45:21

It's not at all reliable so don't worry! total old wives tale.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 18-Apr-13 09:45:46

ps she will not be the first to speculate, everyone has an opinion!

Bejeena Thu 18-Apr-13 09:46:06

I think she is pulling your leg, heart rates are the same!

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 09:47:06

you can't tell from the heartbeat

AlwaysOneMissing Thu 18-Apr-13 09:47:53

She will have meant it as a conversation point, not as a definite conclusion! It's a theory, that's all. My MW also liked guessing the sex of my babies - it's fun! I certainly never got offended by it.

She was just making conversation! She wouldn't have expected you to take her seriously, it means nothing.

ShowOfHands Thu 18-Apr-13 09:48:51

Don't be pissed off with her, she's just chatting to you. smile She knows as well as the next person that heart rates aren't a reliable indicator of sex any more than the shape of your bump or what you're craving. It's an old wives' tale like any other.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 18-Apr-13 09:49:14

Just ignore her, until you see the babys genitals it is just speculation, especially when she's just going on a heartbeat. (Which can be affected by all sorts of things, how active baby is at the time, what you've just eaten/drank etc).

Just wait for the "ooh you have a boy/girl shaped bump"

Fenton Thu 18-Apr-13 09:50:46

I have heard something like this, for one it sounds like a galloping horse, the other a train

It is no more 'reliable' than carrying high or low, which way a gold ring on a thread spins over the bump, or any of the other old wives' tales

Do not fret smile

ditsydoll Thu 18-Apr-13 09:52:30

Oh! Haha I thought she might actually be able to tell. Didn't realise it was just an old wives tale (blush)
I don't mind if it's a boy or a girl but iv gotton this far without knowing and I'd like to keep it that way smile

ditsydoll Thu 18-Apr-13 09:53:11

[Blush]

ditsydoll Thu 18-Apr-13 09:53:57

My blush face won't work but u get the picture haha

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 18-Apr-13 09:56:39

You need a little b on your blush.

Carolra Thu 18-Apr-13 09:57:16

This happened to me as well... stupid midwife. In my case, my "boys heartbeat" baby turned out to be a girl! Its an old wives tale grrrr.

McKayz Thu 18-Apr-13 10:00:12

I asked my MW about this when I was expecting DD. Apparently the heartrate is different but the difference is so minimal it isn't reliable.

nannyl Thu 18-Apr-13 15:51:00

my baby had a girl heart rate at the beginning

then had a boy heart beat

then a girl one

and then boy one....

she was a girl, but i dont think the heart rate was a reliable indication, as half the time she had a boy heart beat!

KatAndKit Thu 18-Apr-13 16:50:40

It is totally unscientific and no evidence has been found to support this theory.

WeeS Fri 19-Apr-13 09:15:23

DP & I studied all the old wives tales & (almost) everything pointed to BOY. Then we found out its a girl! So as the others have said, the heartbeat theory is rubbish.
And before we knew we were finding out the sex of the baby, when we thought we wanted a surprise, EVERYONE had their opinion on boy/girl & it really got on my nerves. Just smile sweetly til you can get away from them heehee smile

Lamazeroo Fri 19-Apr-13 09:27:22

My boy had a girl heartbeat. And made me very sick like a girl. And gave me a girl bump. And then came out with a willy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now