Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

matb1 form

(21 Posts)
MissHinky Fri 19-Apr-13 23:36:41

I saw my MW this week and she gave me my MATB1 form without me even asking at 21w 6 .. I'm glad she remembered as I'd clean forgot about it, lol.

Queazy Fri 12-Apr-13 20:24:06

I called up my doctors today and the Dr is writing it next week. Very bizarre - I thought someone would mention it too! x

BabyHMummy Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:01

Thanks ladies am seeing Gp this week so will book in with mw and give her a call seperately

Splinters Fri 12-Apr-13 12:57:42

Urgh links sorry!

20 weeks before your due date is the earliest the doctor or midwife is allowed to fill it out. You don't actually need to give it to work until much later, but you do need to tell them you're pregnant and intending to take leave.

I wanted to get everything sorted as early as possible, so I asked at my surgery and they made me an extra appt with the midwife just to get that done.

Splinters Fri 12-Apr-13 12:57:07

[https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/how-to-claim 20 weeks] before your due date is the earliest the doctor or midwife is allowed to fill it out. You don't actually need to give it to work until much later, but you do need to tell them you're pregnant and intending to take leave.

I wanted to get everything sorted as early as possible, so I asked at my surgery and they made me an extra appt with the midwife just to get that done.

MissHinky Fri 12-Apr-13 12:55:45

Checked DWP guidelines as I will need one soon.

DWP state they can be issued by your midwife or GP from 20 weeks before the EDD

Hopefully get mine at my 22 week MW appointment smile

Mutley77 Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:47

If you google it you will find out when you can legally get the Mat B1 - from memory it is about 21 weeks pg - I looked it up because I needed mine early for various reasons.

Armed with that info I rang my midwife and asked her to do it - luckily I didn't have to argue as she was quite happy to write it out and leave at GP reception for me - but I was all prepared with my rights just incase!

Mutley77 Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:15

If you google it you will find out when you can legally get the Mat B1 - from memory it is about 21 weeks pg - I looked it up because I needed mine early for various reasons.

Armed with that info I rang my midwife and asked her to do it - luckily I didn't have to argue as she was quite happy to write it out and leave at GP reception for me - but I was all prepared with my rights just incase!

Snowflakepie Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:03

A lot of employers really don't understand the law on this one. As long as you have informed your employer of your pregnancy by 25 weeks, you have done all that is required. Your matb1 is required so you can claim maternity pay or allowance, and is normally needed by your payroll dept 28 days before you want to start receiving mat pay. So that depends on what you have decided regarding your leave. The form cannot be signed before 24 weeks by your gp or midwife anyway. If you forget at either your 24 week or 28 week appt depending on which # pg you are on, give your midwife or gp a call and they will either do it for you to collect or arrange an appointment if they prefer that. It takes seconds. There will be no issue. Hope that helps.

salcz Fri 12-Apr-13 11:37:16

I think work can ask for it from week 25, rather than that being the deadline.

BraveLilBear Fri 12-Apr-13 11:26:10

I was panicking about this as we don't see mw from week 16 to week 28 here (scan at 20 weeks separate and then GP only at 24 weeks) and totally forgot to ask GP as it was a standard 5-min appt.

I asked work and they said they need it 28 days before I plan to start mat leave, not by end of week 25, so will be fine to get mine at 28 weeks (planning to go off around 36/37 weeks).

upanddown83 Fri 12-Apr-13 10:05:52

When I went to doc to get mine I was told I had to be at least 24weeks(past the time for a termination) before it would be issued took 2mins when I was at appointment at 25weeks!

flipflump Fri 12-Apr-13 06:57:45

Do you think it's ok to get mine at my 24 week appointment? Will that be enough time?

Also, I have 2 part time jobs, do I need 2? Sorry, daft question from a first timer!!

I saw mw at 27 weeks too which was too late to hand into work so I phoned her at around 23/24 weeks and she filled it in and put it in post for me.
She said that's normal to post it out on request

ButteryJam Thu 11-Apr-13 22:48:24

Ask midwife or GP

LetMeAtTheWine Thu 11-Apr-13 21:42:56

I just phoned my midwife and said I needed it ASAP (was at 32 weeks) and I just had to call in to office and pick it. they don't need to see you so should be able to fill it in and leave it for you to collect.

Sunflower1985 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:29:00

I was wondering the same so I rang my midwife and she said I can get it when I see the doctor at 25 weeks, but of course it needs to be handed in to work at 25 weeks, so there's no margin for error. Seems unnecessarily stressful if you ask me.

Runswithsquirrels Thu 11-Apr-13 21:13:49

I kept forgetting to ask for mine so wrote a letter to work stating when I intended to take leave from and put a huge post it on my maternity notes and finally got it at my 28 week appointment. I'll be 29 weeks by the time I hand it in - oops!

Fairlygrounded Thu 11-Apr-13 21:08:08

Call your midwife - they can fill it in and you could arrange to pick it up? Wouldn't even need to see them.

Reebok Thu 11-Apr-13 21:07:50

Just ask your gp for it. They fill sign it for you.

BabyHMummy Thu 11-Apr-13 21:05:43

Ladies how the hell do i get one? Work need it in the next few weeks. I read somewhere that its given at 20wk apt but nothing was mentioned last week and i forgot to ask. Do i just phone Gp or wait til my 25wk check which my mw can't get mei til 27 wk for...i have to hand in at work by and of week 25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now