Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

strong phantom smells in pregnancy. how do you cope with them?

(9 Posts)
kpaljon Sat 13-Apr-13 08:26:57

I had this up until the end of my 1st trimester. It was the smell of garlic and it had taken over my bedroom and my OH smelled of it. I tried to ignore it on my OH and then I just cleaned the bedroom a lot and lit candles. Sadly it didn't help but by week 13 the smells just vanished.

juniper9 Thu 11-Apr-13 00:22:44

I was convinced one of the children in my class had had an accident as I could smell poo all of the time. Then it was following me around so I was worried it was me. My DP sniffed me over helped me check and decided that he couldn't smell anything, but I still could.

It smells like a mixture of poo, rotten cheese and unwashed feet. Charming!

MrsJamesMartin Wed 10-Apr-13 17:51:15

I'm glad I'm not alone in this, I really feel like I'm going mad as no-one else can smell this.
It is making my nausea so much worse and I'm just worn out with it. To those who have come through this...dare I ask when it started to go away??

ananikifo Wed 10-Apr-13 17:05:50

I smelled vinegar I'm our kitchen for weeks. The bins got emptied daily and I have it a deep clean but it didn't help! Generally I try to eliminate the smells by cleaning, or avoid them. I don't cook very much now, or go to supermarkets because food smells bother me.

TippiShagpile Wed 10-Apr-13 16:43:03

Mine was a phantom sour milk smell and it became overwhelming when I saw milk.

I vomited in Tesco in the milk aisle to my eternal shame.

Reebok Wed 10-Apr-13 16:40:48

Lol oh thank God! I thought I was going mad and DH things I've lost the plot! Nice to know I'm not the only one smelling these strange things...another great side to pregnancy!

rosiedays Wed 10-Apr-13 15:50:32

oh i get this all the time Loads of different smells. last week i scared the hell out of OH by shouting 'somethings burning' i could def smell burning and thought the flat was on fire!!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 10-Apr-13 15:42:00

I currently keep smelling a phantom smell in my living room like rotting apples I know there's nothing there that smells like this. And I've been around the room sniffing everything.
Oust seems to get rid of the smell for a while.

It's come and gone with different phantom smells throughout my pregnancy. It's not always the same thing I can smell, or the same place.

MrsJamesMartin Wed 10-Apr-13 15:30:02

I'm 8+4 with dc 3. I am terribly nauseous all day and night being sick p probably once or twice per day. Usual weirdly alerted sense of taste and now what seem to be phantom smells!
It's mainly in our bedroom and, to me, it smells strongly of sewage but dh and other dc can't smell anything unusual. It's awful I can't sleep well because of it I've not had this before with other dc any advice for me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now