Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finding out the sex?

(35 Posts)
flipflump Wed 10-Apr-13 09:43:51

Apologies if this has been done a million times before, but I'm so undecided and need opinions. How many of you found out the sex? For what reason? To build excitement? Don't like surprises? Once you knew did it make the next 20 weeks more exciting? Easier to name baby? Or like there wasn't such great excitement once you knew - having typed that I can see how ridiculous it is, there will be a baby, doesn't get more exciting!!

I'd love to know, I'm very nosy but don't want everyone else (apart from DH) to know too. Is that strange? I'd still buy neutral clothes as there's nothing cuter than a newborn in a white baby grow, also we'd like to have more than one, hopefully. My only concern is during labour I'd need some incentive to keep pushing and I've left myself without a surprise.

Please tell me I'm not the only 18 week-er unable to make any decisions - major or minor?

We din't find out because we were too indecisive to make up our minds about finding out, so not became a default position. I was put off as I know someone who found out she was having a DD, but they got it wrong and she has a boy. Apparently it was quite disturbing. I wouldn't want my DS to be told that they though he was going to be a girl. Despite not knowing, I was convinced we were having a boy and was very surprised when DD turned up.

ExhaustedMamasita Wed 10-Apr-13 12:12:33

Flip - cograts! I'm at a very similar stage of pregnancy and like you, didn't have a clue whether to find out or not. After having read the trail of posts and receiving feedback from friends, I think we'll leave it as a surprise. There are lots of pros to finding out but DH wants the surprise so why not. I figure we'll find out when the next one comes.

It's so exciting. Our anomaly scan is in two weeks time and I cannot wait. So long as our babies are developing well that's all that matters really. Good luck with the scan!

louby86 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:15:14

Breatheslowly - I found it quite hard to deal with. Once you're told the baby is a specific gender you begin to bond with it differently. When we found out it was then a boy it almost felt like we'd lost the girl we thought we were having. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap DS for the world and I don't wish I'd had a girl instead of him. It does just mess with your head a bit.

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 12:23:43

For the first three we didntb find out, dp is very into the 'surprise'.

With no 4 we found out as I wanted to know, but only dp and a few close friends were told ( family didn't want yo know) and I told on mnet!

With no 5 we were going yo have a surprise but at the scan the sonographer said she had a very clear view of the sex and did see want to know. Dp and I took this to mean boy (we had four boys and were totally expecting no 5 to be a boy) but the sonographer said girl! We are very shocked and actually paid for a private scan to check, confirmed girl. Even once she was born the first thing I said was 'is it alright? is it really a girl?!'

Sometimes I think it would have been nice for it to be a surprise but I Aldo think I would have fainted with shock at the birth! And the four boys had wanted to know and loved being involved, choosing clothes etc.

It also meant we thought about girls names, we had a boys name picked out but being told it was a girl meant we thought about girls names as well.

Rico08 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:43:42

We didn't find out with number 1(DS now 4) and we haven't with the one on the way, I really wanted a surprise, which has surprised my family a I can't usually wait for surprises smile

Out of 5 women pregnant at work I am the only one who has not found out. I left work yesterday and there were a few comments about not finding out and how difficult to buy neutral clothing, but we've got plenty of things for the little one.

offonajolly Wed 10-Apr-13 13:02:58

We're going to find out, mainly because I think there's a little person in there and their life has already begun...so I want to think of them as a he or a she rather than an 'it' - birth is just the part where you get to meet them but they have been living for a while before that!

dizzyhoneybee Wed 10-Apr-13 13:08:24

We found out with ours, we were also told girl but had a boy. It was the same for us as with louby when we had an extra scan and the baby was obviously a boy and so we had to redecorate as well.

flipflump Wed 10-Apr-13 13:13:08

Offonajolly, that is such a lovely way of putting it!!

atrcts Wed 10-Apr-13 13:14:02

I have found out with this pregnancy because I found out with the first one. At the first pregnancy scan week we unnamed and ahhhhhed during the scan and only at the end said "oh go on then, show us what have we've got"!?!!!!
I was really glad that I found out the first time because I was convinced I was carrying a girl and it was actually a boy! It really helped me to get my head around the idea, of course it didn't matter to me it's just that I had a fixed idea that needed un-fixing!

Even though we knew it was a boy we got a lot of lemon and neutral (just in case) and also werehalf planning ahead to the second child that could end up being the opposite sex.

offonajolly Wed 10-Apr-13 14:30:38

Thanks smile I can't wait to start thinking about him or her and what they might be like, and to start talking to them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now