Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping Cough Vaccine

(14 Posts)
Withalittlesparkle Wed 10-Apr-13 08:04:46

I had mine on Monday and I was wondering whether it was normal that my arm still hurts and that there is a swelling where the needle went in, I knew it would hurt but wasnt expecting it to be a 48 thing (or more if it carries on!

ButteryJam Wed 10-Apr-13 08:35:54

Mine hurted and swelled up for at least 5 days, and then went.

glossyflower Wed 10-Apr-13 09:55:24

Yes that's normal.
When I had mine my arm ached for days, then the ache spread up to my shoulders and neck, then I developed flu like symptoms and had to spend two days in bed. hmm

upanddown83 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:59:15

My arm was still sore 1week after my jab i couldn't lie on that side in bed it was so sore but woke up day 8 and no pain so hopefully it will stop being sore for you soon!

Springforward Wed 10-Apr-13 22:00:21

I had a similar reaction, local swelling and felt generally a bit under the weather for a good few days. The nurse warned me to expect it TBH.

lookingfoxy Wed 10-Apr-13 22:08:25

Yip, had mine on Friday arm now recovered and felt like utter shite for 3 or 4 days. Wasn't warned at all by midwife or I would have put it off to when ds not on hols.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 10-Apr-13 22:10:51

I'm so glad you asked this. I had mine yesterday and my arm feels like someone punched me! Feel reassured seeing that I'm not the only one xx

Fairy130389 Wed 10-Apr-13 22:16:42

me too, had mine yesterday and it is so painful I was beginning to think it was infected (drama queen) - sounds like it is normal!

sleepyhead Wed 10-Apr-13 22:30:35

Yes. It's about the only reaction I've ever had to a vaccine.

I noticed a couple of days afterwards that I had a sore arm and wasn't able to work out why until I remembered that I'd had the jag.

redastra Wed 10-Apr-13 22:47:29

Hi all!

The vaccine that you will have received does not just contain whooping cough, it also contains low dose tetanus, diptheria and polio (in Scotland the vaccine is called Repevax and it is the same injection as baby will get as their first injection). The tetanus part of the vaccine will tend to give you a lump at the injection site and then the achey feelings that you have been having! If you have been unlucky enough to get the symptoms they tend to go away after about 5-7 days!

Your midwife/practice nurse/doctor should have explained the side effects to you before they gave you it!

Congratulations on all your bumps!!

Hawkmoth Wed 10-Apr-13 22:53:02

I asked to have mine in my backside, which is supposedly less effective but I did forget all about it and wondered why I felt ill a couple of days afterwards! It took two weeks for my arm to stop hurting after my flu jab and couldn't sacrifice any more precious sleep.

Withalittlesparkle Wed 10-Apr-13 23:25:31

Thanks red, the nurse did say it was repavax and told me what else would be in it! I'm not in Scotland but seems like there is a bit of a shortage, fingers crossed my arm stops hurting soon

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Apr-13 09:10:16

Mine hurt for a good couple of weeks and I felt like crap but I think that was a bug that DD1 helpfully provided and just shit timing.

Badgerwife Fri 12-Apr-13 07:39:55

gosh yes, it was horrible. Had it last week, arm hurt like a fiend for 4 days after. Completely normal apparently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now