Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

can anyone actually describe what pushing a baby out feel like

(57 Posts)
stephbecominglittler Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:10

Hi title says it all realy but can amyone pls describe what pushimg and crowning feels like very anxious to no xx

PickledInAPearTree Wed 10-Apr-13 12:50:23

Starlight that's brilliant.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Wed 10-Apr-13 12:56:27

Ha ha Starlight. I posted that on a thread the other day too. Great minds grin

Its a build up of pressure and pain. Someone had told me your know your nearly there when the sounds you make sound primevil. I told the midwife at one stage I wanted to push but she told me no. Then a little while later my body knid of took over I started screaming/straining in a very low gutteral tone, I didn't even realise I was pushing with the contractions. It hurt but part of it was enjoyable, its hard to discribe, I want to say its similar to the feeling of sex, but obviously different.
I'm 11 weeks pg now and kind of looking forward to the birth, I want to know if that enjoyable feeling was real or not.

plantsitter Wed 10-Apr-13 13:46:33

Crowning stings like a bastard, but you know it will be over at some point because you know that a head turns into a neck if you see what I mean. Then the pain is all worth while because the relief when it stops is the best feeling IN THE WORLD. Oh yeah and having the baby ;)

glorious Wed 10-Apr-13 16:04:54

Pushing was the hardest physical effort I've ever made and felt like you'd imagine except nothing down below. I didn't feel crowning or my tear (and wasn't using any pain relief at the time). I may just have been too exhausted! So it looks like it varies a lot.

TooYappy Wed 10-Apr-13 16:09:09

Like pushing a football out your bottom, by this time the pains are better as they are pushing pains (if you get them I didn't with DS2 so just pushed randomly).

The worst part it the skin around vagina stretching grin It's all good though, 5 mins later (ish) you have a baby, it's the pain before the pushing pain you want to be worrying about, it's agony but I somehow managed it with no pain relief at all.

2Labradors Fri 12-Apr-13 23:10:21

I've heard that you can have post labour amnesia and I think that's what I had with my DS ( my 2nd pregnancy). First time I had epidural and forceps and didn't feel anything really (until the epidural wore off).

With my DS I had gas & air, and I can remember the midwife holding one leg and my DH holding the other but I don't remember pain as he came out. I remember the labour pains but when I actually gave birth I really can't remember any pain.

It is the most amazing moment in life though.

I needed only 4 stitches with DS. I'm hoping that its not amnesia at all and that it really doesn't hurt, as I'm doing it all again later this year wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now