Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can anyone actually describe what pushing a baby out feel like

(57 Posts)
stephbecominglittler Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:10

Hi title says it all realy but can amyone pls describe what pushimg and crowning feels like very anxious to no xx

Clary Tue 09-Apr-13 21:58:14

Feels like you need to do a maaaassssive pooh and it really hurts like hell but you are gonna have to do it anyway. It feels like it's the size of a watermelon but there is no stopping it.

It's good tho because you have no choice and what you get as a result makes anything worthwhile smile

rocketeer Tue 09-Apr-13 21:58:42

It hurts like hell (had a vbac too) but it's bearable cos you know it will all be worth it. Oh, and I had no drugs cos it was too late and a breech baby, it was fiiiiiine!

You will be fine OP. It's bloody hard work and hurts in a way that is hard to explain but honestly I would do it again in a shot. The pride that you will feel once you have your baby in your arms is unbeatable. Congratulations by the way.

RobbinyoureastereggsSparkles Tue 09-Apr-13 22:00:38

It stings but it's not unbearable BUT every labour is different and every woman is different.

I guess it depends on how long you have to push for too. I think that I have forgotten most of how it feels as the last time I did it was 25 months ago grin

I remember that the relief afterwards was immense. I remember it stinging A LOT but I don't remember feeling like I would split in two.

With DD1 I had an epidural so I couldn't feel anything except the pressure of the contractions (that helps you to know when to push). With DD2 I didn't have anything but gas and air and I was frightened of the crowning as people always describe it as the worst bit, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be!

I think that you've got to try to remember that it's the last bit and the pain isn't going to be for much longer, it's nearly over and in a few pushes your baby will be there.

5madthings Tue 09-Apr-13 22:01:00

stase no me to I actually quite like giving birth....well do t like it as such but its amazing and I get such a high afterwards.

And I agree with starlight contractions suck but the actual pushing stage is good, I do like that bit, it kind of takes over and for me was very instinctive, I mooed like a wounded bison....blush

stephbecominglittler Tue 09-Apr-13 22:01:35

Thanks for all ur comments guys very rreassuring cant wait to have little one xxx

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Tue 09-Apr-13 22:02:10

I'll do a nice positive one!

I had no pain on crowning, no pain on pushing. Nothing.

DD2 (DD1 was forceps so can't comment on that one) was b2b and contractions felt like being kicked in the back by a horse. But as I got towards the end - and I assume she finally got in a good position - the pain just faded away.

Pushing didn't feel like anything else. It just felt like something was moving down inside me (and, disconcertingly, bouncing back at the end of every involuntary push). My body pushed, I didn't knowingly do so. I just realised after a little bit that it was happening IYSWIM.

I didn't feel crowning at all. No pain, no nothing. I had a second degree tear that needed stitches too. No feeling of 'splitting in two' or anything like that. It was bloody amazing being told that they could see my baby and she/he had loads of dark hair.

Afterwards, I was on the high to end all highs. I felt I could run a marathon and wrestle a bear. Though it's probably a good job I didn't, as I went a bit wobbly when I tried to walk upstairs to bed (was a home birth).

I was in the pool too, if that's relevant.

The only part that's unbearable is the point of no return when babies almost out and at that point all your instincts are to push as hard as possible because as soon as baby is out it will be over. And it is smile

Honestly... A tattoo needle on a bony part of you is worse, if you managed to stay still for that you can do pushing a baby out no bother.

stephbecominglittler Tue 09-Apr-13 22:06:04

Aww thanku so mucb guys really helped me xxxx than u for ur positive comments x

sjupes Tue 09-Apr-13 22:07:17

I'm looking forward to giving birth this summer confused this pregnancy lark isn't as much fun third time round - birth was pretty easy for me the last 2 times but even if this time blows i just can't wait to do it so i'm not flippin pregnant anymore nit pissed off about finding loads of new stretch marks this morning. On my bloody back!!

LoganMummy Tue 09-Apr-13 22:07:57

Forgot to say - I didn't realise that the contractions continued (although a lot weaker) to deliver the placenta. I was completely out of it and thought I was having another baby that hadn't been picked up in the scans!

EugenesAxe Tue 09-Apr-13 22:08:20

Not really, I can't remember in detail, but it wasn't a trauma for me compared to the first contractions.

I remember really wanting to push for DS, having to force myself to push for DD. You have to pretend you're doing a big poo and get really into it; use all the pelvic floor.

Didn't really notice crowning or tearing, which I did with DS. It was a bit more noticeable that it was happening with DD, but she popped out in a flurry with a 'graze'.

Honestly it's fine and you can't really do much about it, unless you have an emergency caesarean.

emsyj Tue 09-Apr-13 22:11:38

I had a VBAC 9 weeks ago and it was a lot less painful than the c-section recovery!

I would agree with the poster who described the sensation as like the same feeling you get when you're throwing up - but in your fanjo. That convulsive feeling, you can't control it and it just expels the baby. I don't feel that I actively pushed. I was upright if that makes any difference.

I felt a vague hot stingy sensation but I had thought beforehand that it would just be around the opening of the vagina, but it was sort of all of the inside of the whole passage if that makes sense. It wasn't horribly painful or unbearable by any means. It was a strange sensation but not awful - just weird!

PickledInAPearTree Tue 09-Apr-13 22:15:28

An immense pressure, the sensation of someone inserting something up my bum but not as painful as the transition stage.

I went a bit feral think it was the pressure and the fact the buggers sent me home once and I therefore had only two paracetamol. And I'm a big baby.

Mumcentreplus Tue 09-Apr-13 22:16:15

Mahoosive poo feeling, stinging pain around the edge of the vagina and major relief afterwards...plus a lovely baby to cuddle while you contemplate if your fanny will ever be the same again grin and tea and toast afterwards...the best tea and toast EVER!

Quak Tue 09-Apr-13 22:17:07

Another vote for staying more upright. I was in a sort of doggy-style position - on my hands and knees. It felt the most natural and comfortable at the time. Early labour was the worst but the contractions got less severe towards the end. Pushing dd out was not that painful from what I can remember through my rose-tinted specs. Just REALLY intense. The sense of relief is what I remember most. She was coming out!
It's different for everyone and I really hope you have a wonderful birth smile

PickledInAPearTree Tue 09-Apr-13 22:17:56

I lay on my front flat and refused to move - what an idiot!

cupcake78 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:19:05

I also remember thinking it can't be right as I felt like I was pooing my insides out not pushing out a baby.

Crowning stings and is hot but you just know there is only one way for it to end and your body just does it.

My head screamed no but my body just rid it! Such a relief when its over!

This is an illustrative video of contraction experience

Though they didn't do the crowning I think you can understand why the crowing is at that point, not big deal.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:05:22

Like period pains times a million. It's pretty awful to be honest. Don't hesitate to get pain relief if you're struggling. You can still feel to push with an epidural.

Not everyone feels that amazing surge when they give birth, so don't think you're weird if you don't. It can take a while to bond, and for the pain to subside!

JassyRadlett Tue 09-Apr-13 23:14:40

My mother likened it to trying to poo a watermelon. Sounds about right to me.

Pushing for me was much, much better than 5-10cm. Completely manageable.

willyoulistentome Tue 09-Apr-13 23:20:03

Epidural!!!!!!

Fakebook Wed 10-Apr-13 00:29:32

It's like doing a big poo and then this sore feeling like someone has battered your vagina as the head comes out. But I felt a strange relief whilst the baby's head was coming out too. I can't explain it. Like the head coming out was satisfying my urge to push. But that was my second baby so I was already quite stretched. Dc1 was born with an epidural so I felt nothing when she was coming out. I also had second degree tears with both.

Gorjuss Wed 10-Apr-13 00:43:41

Like passing a red hot bowling ball that's covered in sandpaper. But it only lasts a second. X

skratta Wed 10-Apr-13 00:49:59

I don't know how to explain it but you know when you poo something big...and afterwards there's kind of like a relief (yep...had constipation recently...TMI) well, that's it...

Like pushing out a pumpkin. Like sore and hurting but you can't stop it exactly and I was too drugged out and hazy tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now