Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

tiredness in first trimester - worse if you are 'older'?

(23 Posts)
RatPants Tue 09-Apr-13 21:50:00

You're not anaemic are you? I had my children in my twenties but was shocked at how much more tired I was during my second. The midwife put it down to being a bit older grin and more tired in general but I was eventually diagnosed with anaemia. The tiredness was unbelievable, I remember telling dh my bones felt heavy. grin

VinegarDrinker Tue 09-Apr-13 21:46:19

I was utterly exhausted and felt like I was dying for most of my first trimester this time (second pregnancy), I am "only" 29 though. I put the worse exhaustion down to the toddler to chase after, or rose tinted memories of the first time!

Dildals Tue 09-Apr-13 21:42:36

I think it totally varies per pg. i am 38, with twins, and expected to have twice the pg symptoms but hardly any tiredness at all!

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 09-Apr-13 14:56:32

I was 27 and ended up napping in my car, couldn't stay awake after 7.30. Very tired! Don't think it's an age thing, its hard going making another human!
Cut yourself some slack, pop your feet up. You'll have more energy soon

ExhaustedMamasita Tue 09-Apr-13 14:43:26

I'm 31, now in my second trimester and still tired!!! The exhaustion in my first trimester took it out of me completely... couldn't believe how tired I was alllll the time. I was like a narcoleptic - falling asleep anytime, everywhere. You're not alone and I don't necessarily think it's age related, it's just the symptoms of pregnancy I'm afraid...

Elemental Tue 09-Apr-13 11:59:08

I'm also 38 and 10+3 today. Second pregnancy (well, have one son but had 2 miscarriages) and though the tiredness is huge some days I don't think it's as bad as my first pregnancy when I was 34. Then, I felt like someone had switched my off switch and I couldn't actually move at all. I remember going out at lunchtime at work and being a few hundred yards away on the way back and feeling stuck because I didn't think I actually had enough energy to get back to my office. Had mad thoughts about getting a taxi!!

But still was in my 30s, so can't compare to being pregnant properly young.

This time, I'm knackered but think that the last 4 years (and a son who only started sporadically sleeping through the night aged 3!) have radically changed my attitude to tiredness in any case.

rosiedays Tue 09-Apr-13 11:27:52

i'm 43 and now 25 weeks! the tierdness untill week 18 was constant. i didn't get out of bed for days, (except to be sick or binge eat!!)
now i've got more energy than i had before BFP although i do have a afternoon nap some days and will be in bed by 8.30!!!

Norfolknway Mon 08-Apr-13 22:30:24

I'm 31 and 10 weeks - I have been shattered this time round (dc2) I seem to be feeling less tired over the past few days (don't know if it's the weather though!)

For the last 5 weeks the tiredness has been unreal, I've felt like I've had a contstant hangover - if only!

gillybeandramaqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:51:19

I'm 39 with dc1 and was suffering horrendous ms and exhaustion BUT I am now 16+1 weeks and feeling so much better!! I think it's an individual pregnancy thing tbh... hang in there x

midori1999 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:54:11

Yes. I have been pregnant at 19 and 36 (and in between) and it's definitely easier at 19! I'm now 13 weeks and unbelievably exhausted.

cupcake78 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:11

I'm 29wks and 35yrs old. I'm exhausted and have been since the beginning.

Second pregnancy, first I was working full time but able to rest when I came home and at weekends. Now that's not possible with a lively 5yr old son.

I don't know if age has an effect but I know I feel very old!

cyclecamper Mon 08-Apr-13 20:01:18

I'm 42 and the tiredness was the reason I went to the dr - I thought I had ME or something. I went from cycling 20-30 miles a day to barely being able to get out of bed, within a month. It got slightly better at about eighteen weeks, but it hasn't gone completely at any point - I'm 30 weeks now.

katatonic Mon 08-Apr-13 19:38:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sjupes Mon 08-Apr-13 19:30:35

I'm 25 and on dc3 - i was more tired with dc2 l than this one but did more i.e kept active whereas this time round i'm not so dog tired but barely move.

I'm not sure age comes into it - more the strain of the pregnancy - 2 friends of mine are in their mid 40's and have both had their 7th/9th kids respectively in the last 18 months they both say their last pregnancies have been their easiest.

pinksky Mon 08-Apr-13 19:27:00

I've been totally floored by being pregnant - so bone tired. I'm 33, first pg and was very active before. However, now at 12 weeks I'm starting to feel more like myself and energy levels definitely going up, so there is hope!

CareerGirl01 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:02:52

37 when pg with DD1 - was knackered - ditched a 15 year gym habit and was constantly needing naps but no morning sickness. Pg with DC2 age 42 - managed to go to gym 3/4 times a week (around morning sickness which was worse this time round) and only now at nearly 36 weeks am I needing to nap during the day. Every pregnancy is different.

lucybrad Mon 08-Apr-13 18:56:18

no I think it depends on the pregnancy. I was loads more tired with my previous one to this one and obviously I am older this time. I was 38 that time and 41 this time. Mind you plenty of time to be knackered as I am only 17 weeks.

katatonic Mon 08-Apr-13 18:50:20

Kelly1814 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:27:47

Am 36, almost 37, and have been truly shocked by the exhaustion. I do think that working full time, 12-14 hours a day makes it worse, I feel so much better at weekends!

beckie90 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:48:22

I don't think it has much to do with age tbh, although it can be relevant. I'm 22 and was so exhausted in first trimester somedays it felt like such a task to even get ready. Also with my first ds my aunty was 36 and pregnant at same time as me and I was 17, she had a much easier pregnancy and more energy then me. So don't think its entirely based on age. Each pregnancy is dif some peoples get worse as they get older some people don't xx

lotsofcheese Mon 08-Apr-13 17:43:42

I was exhausted in my 1st trimester, age 36. Really struggled to stay awake, had to nap after work. No nausea & managed to keep very fit.

Now on 2nd pregnancy at 40 & the 1st trimester symptoms have been very different - no exhaustion, slept much the same until 20ish weeks. But had no energy. Pelvic pain from early on, so am very unfit.

I think every pregnancy is different.

Snowflakepie Mon 08-Apr-13 17:09:17

I had worse tiredness with my first pg at 31 than I have with this one at 35. I honestly think it was harder with a full time job and having to be up at set times than with a preschooler, although there were only 2 mornings a week where we had to be out by 8.45. But that was still an hour later than I left for work previously. I also had no chance for rest at work where at home I could at least sit down and read with Dd, or do puzzles etc. I went on holiday when I was 8 weeks in my first pg and just slept the entire time, that didn't happen with this one. I don't think age is as much of an issue as whatever else you have going on in your life.

katatonic Mon 08-Apr-13 17:02:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now