Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have you ever had to 'strain' on the toilet?

(18 Posts)
SuffolkNWhat Mon 08-Apr-13 21:59:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gillybeandramaqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:56:29

Coffee works for me... I only have one or less per day.

Springforward Mon 08-Apr-13 20:26:06

If things aren't too bad yet can I suggest dried figs or dates, my personal cures of choice this pregnancy?

candr Mon 08-Apr-13 20:14:02

Is tricky with a toddler banging on door or DH shouting upstairs 'what are you doing up there?' Unfortunatly if I can't 'make' myself go I get really bad squits a day or so later and nearly pass out from the tummy pain. Hope things 'ease up' for you

MammaCici Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:43

The fibre supplement "ispaghula husk" has transformed my bathroom experience. I had dreadful issues and my midwife suggested this. I can't recommend it enough. I either had diarrhoea or constipation and rarely had a normal bowel movement. Since starting this at 20 weeks I've been 1000 times better than ever. It seems to balance everything out. I have one comfortable BM every morning. I'm 36+ weeks now. I'm not sure what the British brand names would be but ask your pharmacist. Drink plenty of water with it too.

BTW, straining is majorly bad for you and will weaken your pelvic floor at a time you need to be strengthening it. Whatever you decide on, make sure you stop straining to go. Best of luck.

sweetiepie1979 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:25:17

Suppository darling

Sunshine200 Mon 08-Apr-13 09:29:26

Ha, sitting on the loo whilst reading this thread, been here a while - don't worry I won't give a running commentary!

glossyflower Mon 08-Apr-13 07:10:41

After that then make sure you increase your fibre intake and water intake.
I find two weetabix a day makes me go nicely grin

glossyflower Mon 08-Apr-13 07:09:36

If its there and having trouble coming out then a high fibre diet or oral laxatives would do very little to shift it in short term. This would only give you stomach ache because you have ingested the fibre and nice healthy poo is coming along with no where to go for your blockage.
I'd check with your MW or GP first but when this happens to me I use glycerin suppositories which stimulates your bowel to empty.
Usually works for me within minutes smile

MB34 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:04:23

Don't hold your breath while your straining either, try to breathe out while pushing down (good advice for giving birth too!)

Holding your breath means that your vital parts aren't getting any oxygen and will freeze up, so everything stops.

HTH

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 07-Apr-13 19:47:38

Probiotics are what really helped me. Nothing else keeps me regular!
Leaning back when trying to go helped the actual motion. You can try putting your feet up e.g. On a stool too.

rrreow Sun 07-Apr-13 14:36:55

Lactulose, breakfast high in fibre, plenty of fluids (especially in conjunction with fibrous food, more effective that way). I definitely know where you're coming from. I'm really trying to avoid straining (due to piles, straining makes them so much worse) but sometimes it just can't be helped. It sucks!

Xocute Sun 07-Apr-13 14:07:07

I find prunes very good, and plenty of water. Also make time for poo if you can. It's such a dose! I've had it all the way through!

AThingInYourLife Sun 07-Apr-13 13:13:53

Sorry, but your title made me laugh ruefully.

I spent 3 pregnancies mostly straining.

Things that helped - fybogel, plenty of fluids, squatting, staying active

It's grim. I hope it's a short-lived thing for you smile

FoofFighter Sun 07-Apr-13 13:10:48

and plenty of fluids too.

FoofFighter Sun 07-Apr-13 13:10:33

Someone put on here to do a hula hooping kind of movement on the loo and it certainly helped me this week, give it a try smile

InsomniaczK8 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:13:26

Eat a big bowl of fruit and fibre every morning it'll sort you right out within a few days :-)

GemmaD12 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:05:14

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else ever have to 'strain' when trying to go to the toilet?

I'm not having the best day - constipation is back again, and I've been trying all morning so far to use the toilet.

Nothing happens!!!

You know that feeling when it's there - but too large to go through your bottom, no matter how hard you try? That's me at the moment!

Ugh!!! sad

xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now