Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP!! What do I need to do?

(18 Posts)
harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:22:06

Hello all. Well, I'm still reeling from my BFP this morning! Clearblue digital says I am 1-2 weeks. Eek! This is my first time and it suddenly occurred to me I don't know what to do now! A doctors appointment maybe? Are there any vitamins I should be taking (I've been taking pregnacare conception), changes I need to make to my diet... Any help gratefully received! grin

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 06-Apr-13 11:31:05

Congratulations! smile

Well if you're on the pregnacare you'll be getting the folic acid you need but make sure you're getting your vitamin D too. Generally you need to try to eat a balanced diet (but if you morning sickness it'll be whatever you can stomach!). Seeing the doctors varies depending on your practice - at mine you just book in for your 9 week booking in appointment with the midwife. I find it odd but they don't confirm you're pregnant! Some practices want you to book in with the GP so I'd just ring on Monday and ask how your practice works.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sat 06-Apr-13 11:37:31

Harry congratulations!

I have just made my booking appointment, yes very odd...I rang up thinking I would need to see a gp to confirm, but no, just the midwife! Obviously they dont have lots of people booking in without being totally sure, or mad enough to make up being up the duff!

The receptionist told me that due to the current baby boom in my area, booking in appointments were being done as and when, not at eight weeks like they used to do. Interesting!

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sat 06-Apr-13 11:40:39

The other thing you could do is think about who you are going to tell and when. I have to tell my boss quite soon as I work in a school and he will need to ensure my safety if contagious diseases like chicken pox come in.

My mum knows and obviously my partner, but other than that I am keeping quiet til my bump gives it away!

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:53:45

Cool thank you. So I will ring the doctors on Monday. Ironically I have an appointment booked in with the gp as I was worried about spotting (thinking now it might have been implantation) so ill see if I need to shift that to the midwife.

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:58:10

Decaff coffee I'm guessing too. Hmm who to tell? My parents have just gone off on holiday for a month! Doh! Just me and partner who know at the moment. It just feels so early...

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:58:40

Do I need to keep POAS to make sure?

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 06-Apr-13 12:03:05

Yes you need to restrict your caffiene intake but don't go cold turkey! It can make you feel quite ill! Have a look at the NHS guidelines re diet.

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:20:12

Cool. A a veggie I am ok on the raw and undercooked meat thing. I have my own hens, are their any eggs any different? I always have well cooked eggs anyway. I do have cats though so need to convince OH that he is now on cat litter duty!

RJM17 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:30:57

As long as the eggs are fully cooked u should be ok!! And u can have a certain amount of caffeine a day. I am having caffeine free tea so that I can still have my Pepsi and dandelion and burdock as I have become addicted to this since being pregnant!!
I had my appointment with the doctor the day I found out and she did the maternity certificate and gave me all the info I needed and prescription for frolic acid etc.
I have my booking appointment at the hospital on Monday and I will then be 8 weeks!!
Congrats and hope all goes well x

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:32:29

Thank you... Did you keep testing just to make sure?

LandsN Sat 06-Apr-13 13:19:06

Hi congratulations I am 10+3 and was also taking vits when conceived and gp and m/w told me to keep taking them as they have everything you need remember not to lift heavy objects too and plenary of rest if u can I can't sleep much at the mo sad I have had booking and bloods done already (might be early due to previous m/c's though) good luck x

LandsN Sat 06-Apr-13 13:20:39

Oh and I tested every week for about 3 weeks cos I thought it was wrong as I had no symptoms then about week 7 they hit me lol x

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:59:22

I've got a bit of a dull ache around my lower back and tummy...anything to worry about?

LandsN Sat 06-Apr-13 14:01:36

I have had this on and off think it just where your body is adjusting to changes thing stretching etc if your worried ring nhs direct x

RJM17 Sat 06-Apr-13 14:02:20

Yes harry I did!! I was so nervous and the day we told our parents Indus another one then the day we went for our scan I did another. Every time something was being confirmed I did a test first as I was convincing myself I had got it wrong. But nope there is definately a baby there I've seen it 3 times now!! X

congrats!

No need to do much else different except for wait! And wait a bit longer! Does seem an age until appointments etc come around. I saw my midwife at about 4 weeks and she referred me to the hospital for booking in. I'll be 10 weeks on Monday and booking is on Tuesday.

Check out lists of things you should or shouldn't eat but otherwise just continue as normal. I'm still riding and looking after my horse, running, walking the dog etc so unless you have a specific medical condition or your Gp advises you not to do something keep going as you have been.

There's prob an ante-natal thread on here you can join too

harry78 Sat 06-Apr-13 14:35:16

Thank you! Well go and check it out. Arghh!! It's all a bit much isn't it?! I'm going to do some decorating this afternoon to bring me back down to earth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now