Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calling all mum's with stretch marks....

(55 Posts)
DizzyDizzy Thu 04-Apr-13 18:46:27

When did your stretch marks appear? I'm 34 weeks, and my bump is BIG!!! It has been throughout pregnancy, but I have NO stretch marks... I don't know if I'm just lucky, or whether I'm being misled, and there's still time for stretch marks to appear....

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 07-Apr-13 09:32:15

Good luck. You might be one of the lucky ones!

MrsSpagBol Sat 06-Apr-13 23:51:26

LOL @ Mrsd I am SURE I got that Babycentre email saying they would show at 22 weeks!! I even gave myself 3 weeks buffer just in case.
Guess the joke is on me!!!

Amanda I do see what you mean. I'll let you know in 20 weeks!

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sat 06-Apr-13 21:16:24

You might be lucky. Do you have any others? I am prone, I have them on my thighs and back from growth spurts in puberty. I still only got a few in pregnancy though.

Mrsd1984 Sat 06-Apr-13 21:13:30

sad I was feeling so proud of myself for not having a single one and being 25 weeks. All the pregnancy emails I have received stated that I should be seeing them by now so felt so chuffed I hadn't. Just a waiting game then..............

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sat 06-Apr-13 17:02:34

25 weeks? I hate to say it MrsSpagBol, but very few people I know who got stretch marks, even pretty bad ones, had any at 25 weeks. They come at teh end because that's the point that the skin is at its most stretched and can't take any more IYSWIM.

DizzyDizzy Sat 06-Apr-13 16:50:49

that's exactly what i though MrsSpagBol. totally gutted now i've found out that might not appear until AFTER the birth! Crap!!!!! xxx

MrsSpagBol Sat 06-Apr-13 14:18:21

Well that has wiped the smugness off my face!

I am 25 weeks and nothing in sight, thought I had gotten away with it but clearly not!!!

rustybusty Sat 06-Apr-13 08:06:04

Ive had 2 babies so far, and havent got 1 stretchmark. I still wear cropped t shirts when out. You may not get any or crepey skin, and your stomach may not change at all.

It helped with me by being very petite to start with.

After DD was born!! But they faded quickly. This time around they appeared around 35 weeks.

plummyjam Fri 05-Apr-13 15:17:07

Got 2 tiny ones each side of my bellybutton after going 41 weeks with DD who weighed 9lb 2oz. Expected to get loads as had a lot on my thighs as a teenager following a growth spurt so was generally quite pleased as my bump was huge. Did get quite a few under my boobs when my milk came in though.

Didn't use any creams etc, I think whether you get them is due to genetics, how quickly the skin is stretched and age - seems older women are less affected. I was 30 when DD was born.

ohmentalnessisme Fri 05-Apr-13 14:55:58

I got more over my breasts than on my belly. In the early days of breastfeeding I looked like Dolly Parton!

polkadotsrock Fri 05-Apr-13 14:19:26

I second the getting in the sun- I went to the states with ds when he was 5 months and the sunbathing was like a miracle cure, although mine weren't actually all that bad, just a few small ones that had been hidden under bump and one where my belly button had been pierced in the good ol' days! I already had some on my hips anyway but I swear they've always been there and are tiny and silver.

Tinkerbell43 Fri 05-Apr-13 13:10:33

No stretch marks on my tummy but all over bum & thighs from about 29 weeks :-( hopefully they won't stick around too long after birth now 41+2 x

I'm 41 + 2 with my first pregnancy. Was feeling very smug about stretch marks until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed some stretch marks on the left hand side of my stomach and at the top of my thighs. I have been religiously applying vitamin E cream since about 12 weeks pregnant. sad

But I'm hoping the cream will at least stop the skin going crepey once he's out!

I had the same hopes OP. 21, so hoped my youthful skin would do well. It didn't. They appeared overnight at 38 weeks, snuck up from under my bump and spread rapidly! My bump was covered completely by 39 weeks sad. I even got stretch marks on my fanjo sadsadsad. I got them over my boobs after giving birth, those ones are fading now, but my stomach and fanjo ones are still very visible now DS is 9 months...

madamecake Fri 05-Apr-13 10:39:46

Last pregnancy I got loads on my inner thighs from about 12 weeks, nearly down to my knees! I didn't have any on my stomach until a day or 2 after dd was born, and although really red and deep they faded quite quickly.
Am now 33 weeks with this pregnancy, and no new ones yet, but no doubt they'll appear after the birth again.

Fenton Fri 05-Apr-13 09:49:36

I didn't get a single one with my first child and he was 8lb + and I'm 5ft nothing.

Second child was a pound heavier than the first and my skin gave in at about 39 weeks when (it appeared to me) he started jostling for room and stretching out horizontally. I remember it felt really itchy and sensitive under clothes at about the time the stretch marks appeared.

Lutrine Fri 05-Apr-13 09:44:33

I'm almost 36 weeks and have escaped getting any on my bump so far, but there's loads on my bum! I didn't even think it'd grown that much sad

phantomhairpuller Fri 05-Apr-13 06:59:53

Mine appeared as soon as my bump started to show. I used every lotion and potion available too hmm
My DMs otherwise flat stomach is ruined by stretch marks so I'm guessing for me they were hereditary.
Currently 37+ with DS2 an they don't appear to have gotten any worse yet wink

OrangeLily Fri 05-Apr-13 06:55:45

I don't even have babies and I have stretch marks. Had them from about the age of 14 when i suddenly got lady thighs and hips. 16 or 17 where my boobs just appeared overnight. DH has them too, is mental.

After pregnancy a good idea is to get out in the sun if you end up with stretch marks, we've found it's help turn angry red ones silver.

VIX1980 Fri 05-Apr-13 06:52:55

wk 36, got loads around my stomach, had ds 9 months ago and at first tried every cream i could find to rid myself of them, then it sunk in they will fade in there own time, They were horrible at first and i didnt believe anyone who said they would go, but 9 months on they have faded tons, still noticable but give me another few months and ill feel better about them. agree about the crepeyness though, thats the thing i cant disguise!

DaveMccave Fri 05-Apr-13 00:43:01

I thought i'd got away with them last time, had none in labour and lots the day after she was born. Turns out you can get them from shrinking back down quickly or something! I'm currently 20 weeks with number 2 and my 5 year old looked at my belly with horror today, and pointed out all the 'marks' I don't know if her old faint ones are darkening or I've got new ones already. Gutted!

Fakebook Thu 04-Apr-13 22:58:16

With dc1 they came up at 40 weeks! I was so gutted, as she was 2 weeks overdue. Had she been born a little earlier I would have been spared the stripes. I didn't get any with ds. He was smaller than dd and didn't stretch the skin much.

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hypermobility and is to do with the collagen in your skin) so I didn't think I would get any.

My stomach is bloody covered in them, at least 2 are over an inch thick. angry

And I used Chanel spray moisturiser at least once a day.

They appeared around 20 weeks, I think.

honey86 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:49:45

the ones on my thighs are skin/silver coloured, the ones on my tummy are like wrinkles blush ive got a pot of cussons mum&me bump cream, dunno if itll work but it smells lush. i tried bio oil but im still skeptical bout it specially at that price. im going to try olive oil this time, i use it on my hair as a treatment or on dry ends and it does good. cheap as, too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now