Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calling all mum's with stretch marks....

(55 Posts)
DizzyDizzy Thu 04-Apr-13 18:46:27

When did your stretch marks appear? I'm 34 weeks, and my bump is BIG!!! It has been throughout pregnancy, but I have NO stretch marks... I don't know if I'm just lucky, or whether I'm being misled, and there's still time for stretch marks to appear....

kelda Thu 04-Apr-13 18:47:46

About week 37, I think my bump changed shape at that point. I used eery oil/cream to avoid stretch marks, and didn't put on that much weight, but stretch marks are just hereditory, due to skin type.

Coconutty Thu 04-Apr-13 18:48:59

38 weeks with DS1 and about 5 weeks with DS2 unfortunately.

Started as a teeny, tiny little silver line .............

whirligiggle Thu 04-Apr-13 18:54:18

Mind appeared at 37 weeks as well, bottom of bump, top of thighs. Dd is now 10 months & they are faded pretty well. No cream really helps, I think it's genetic & you will get lucky or not. But, cream is a nice way to pamper yourself in the last uncomfortable weeks. If it makes you feel good, do it!

Somewhere between 39 wks and 40+4...I thought I'd got away with it but no!

ThedementedPenguin Thu 04-Apr-13 19:02:28

Mine only appeared Amgen my ds went over due. If he came on time id have none. sad

So at some point up to 40+11.

I only have a few just under my belly button and I have bunny ears above them.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Thu 04-Apr-13 19:03:29

About 37/38 weeks.

Also some I didn't even realise I had as they were right under the bump. Only discovered them when DD was out. Oh the joy.

Purplecatti Thu 04-Apr-13 19:07:37

I only got a teeny one when I went overdue. Used bio oil like crazy but I probably just got lucky as my mate did too but got loads of tiger stripes.
She dididn't get that funny line down the middle though and 5 months on mine is still there

FattyMcChubster Thu 04-Apr-13 19:09:10

Day after dd was born sad

Wildwaterfalls Thu 04-Apr-13 19:13:20

Sorry, after DD was born here too! Didn't even notice them for a couple of weeks as I was too scared to look in the direction of my Caesarian scar smile

On the plus side, by 6 months they had more or less faded away.

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 04-Apr-13 19:14:37

38weeks, only got a few on the left side of my bump (and the front of my knees!?).
Faded quickly after birth.

Pregnant again, 21wks & have them on my thighs & some on the right side of bump....old ones don't look bad atm.

WillowB Thu 04-Apr-13 19:33:20

You might not get any. DS arrived at 38 weeks and I didn't get a single one. I used bio oil. Don't know if that made a difference. Also used it on my c section scar & it's virtually invisible.

mamapants Thu 04-Apr-13 19:38:46

I got mine before I was even 3 months gone on my legs and breasts, they didn't get worse and I didn't get any on my stomach at all. Weird its not like I had gained lots of weight at 3 months.

willowstar Thu 04-Apr-13 19:43:39

I didn't get any, both children born at 40 weeks. I was huge. I used bio oil from about 3 months every night the first time, not so much second time around.

sjupes Thu 04-Apr-13 19:45:42

i got my first one at 12 weeks with dd <i was proud! nutter hmm> then none until my belly itched like a bitch and i was recommended vitamin e cream - don't ever use vitamin e cream! my poor lovely young body was destroyed within a week of using it sad

i sincerely doubt i would have gotten anywhere near as many if it wasn't for the cream sad

my poor body.

sorry not much help at all just me self pitying really blush

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 04-Apr-13 19:47:16

Right at the end! Begin intense moisturiznig now...I did for most of the bumps appearance...so around 5 months worth and I have very few...and my baby's were big too.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 04-Apr-13 19:48:04

Sjupes it wasn't the cream that gave you stretch marks! It was bad luck and genes.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 04-Apr-13 19:50:55

I think you grow exponentially in the last 3-4 weeks, and it's that rapid growth that does it. I remember my shock when (after thinking my youthful skin was coping very well!) I caught sight of the underside of my bump at about 38 weeks and there were suddenly loads!

I agree with pps - it's luck and genes!

None with DS1, thought I'd got away with it with DS2 as well, but there they were, hiding, right under the bump! They were pretty bad, but by 6m had faded loads, and now at nearly 10m can hardly be seen, and I haven't moisturised at all.

sjupes Thu 04-Apr-13 19:52:09

sssshhhhhh neo it was the cream wink i blame the cream and dd1 everytime my poor belly gets an outing grin tbf i wrecked my mums belly and i was her second <and last>

now i'm on dc3 i don't care so much - at least the last two haven't made any new ones because theres no room for them

CheeseStrawWars Thu 04-Apr-13 19:54:29

Straight after/as DD was born - but they faded pretty quickly.

TheCountessOlenska Thu 04-Apr-13 19:57:29

I only got one under my belly button with my first pregnancy - had used bio-oil everyday.

Second pregnancy, I didn't use bio-oil as religiously but also bump was bigger and lower - got a fair few round my belly button.

Agree with everyone else -they didn't appear till the last couple of weeks so I was all smug till baby was out and I saw they had been lurking under the bump grin

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 04-Apr-13 20:29:57

Mine appeared as soon as I went overdue, by the time DS deigned to make an appearance at 40+9 I had quite a few on the bottom of my bump. But, they faded very quickly and now, 20 months on, they are barely visible.

DizzyDizzy Thu 04-Apr-13 21:15:56

damn it!!! after reading all these posts, beginning to think i might not be getting away with it! ha! i'm 20 (21st a week after due date) and was hoping it meant my skin would recover well, so maybe that's why i hadn't been getting stretch marks. maybe not.... my mum has bought me some Estée Lauder body lotion (smells amaaaaaaaaazing) as a pamper treat, so have just started using that daily. fingers crossed! i've not got a fantastic figure, and not planning on dieting / planning an intense exercise regime after birth, but it would be nice to be stretch mark free. thanks ladies!!! at least i'm a little more prepared xxx

pinkteapot Thu 04-Apr-13 21:21:50

about 37 wks with dc1. Almost overnight from above my belly button all the way down - more stretchmarked skin than normal skin. like pps have said they fade pretty quick. But its that crepey texture they leave that I hate!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now