Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's going on?

(18 Posts)
gemmarosex Wed 03-Apr-13 10:52:48

Its been 7 weeks since my last period and since i stopped bleeding i have had really tender breasts. I have also had other pregnancy symptoms but i do know you get the same symptoms when your period is due. I have done 3 hpts and 1 test at doctors and all were negative. I know im probably not pregnant, but the doctor said they dont worry too much about late periods and once pregnancy is ruled out i should wait 6 months and then go back if i still havent had a period? Are they meant to do a blood test aswell as a urine test? I just thought 6 months is quite a while to wait if theres something wrong!

If anyone could advise id be really greatful.

Audrey2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:59:29

Ouch, 6 months sounds like a looong time!sad
What age group are you? 20-30 30-40?..

MaryannM Wed 03-Apr-13 11:52:28

I'd say 6 months is a very long time. This happened to me and I was referred for further investigations with a consultant, within the a few months they got to the bottom of what was wrong, treated me and I fell pregnant within another 2 months.

I'd get a second opinion Hun. Good luck x

MaryannM Wed 03-Apr-13 11:52:57

And don't be afraid to demand further investigations to see why this is happening.

gemmarosex Wed 03-Apr-13 13:41:43

Im nearly 21, just felt like she kinda dismissed me without giving me too much information! Ive had period cramps a couple of weeks ago and i really felt like i was going to come on, but nothing! Thank you for all replies, guess I will just have to wait it out a little longer!

Kafri Wed 03-Apr-13 14:13:12

I would be going back and asking to be taken more seriously. Is there another doc you can see at your clinic?
6 months is far to long to be leaving you before investigating anything. If I were you, i'd keep an accurate diary of your cycles - and maybe include things like moods/skin etc - anything that changes for you during your cycle. That way, when you go back to the doctor, you're armed with as much info as you can.

If this is out of the ordinary for you, then push for further investigations.

gemmarosex Wed 03-Apr-13 14:27:53

Yeah there is other doctors. To be honest I did get the doctor who is known to be quite rubbish so I could try going back to another one.

I will do. Hopefully I just come on soon and I wont have to worry any more but I have never missed a period before.

Thanks for help.

Kafri Wed 03-Apr-13 14:32:12

If there is a particular doctor you like, then ask to see him/her. I always see the same doc as he knows me and my history so I don't have to start explaining things again to a new one. I have PCOS and for some reason, if I have had to see another doc in the surgery - rather than reading my notes on the screen they just asked me all sorts of questions that my regular doc already knows the answers to.

gemmarosex Wed 03-Apr-13 14:38:25

Ahh I see, I suppose that does make a lot of sense. If still no period in a month I will to back and see a different doctor.

Thank you

Christelle2207 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:07:41

i was v late once and pushed for a pregnancy blood test which they did no bother and had results a few days. def ask the nicer doc! or at my surgery you can just book yourself in for blood tests with a nurse.

gemmarosex Thu 04-Apr-13 09:33:23

I take it it ended up you weren't pregnant? I'm going to go back and ask for one I think.

Lj8893 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:26:22

Definitely push to be checked out sooner, like you say you probably arnt pregnant but there could be some sort of other issue that in 6 months time could have escalated. I'm sure you fine but much better to be checked out sooner! I usually find that female doctors are a lot more supportive and proactive when it comes to woman's issues!

gemmarosex Thu 04-Apr-13 10:50:13

Yea I will definately go back within a month to make sure everythings okay, especially as I like to diagnose myself from google and worry about it lol. I did have a female doctor as it goes, just a useless one!

fertilityFTW Thu 04-Apr-13 10:59:25

Good advice here - 6 mths is a long time!

FWIW in my 20s I used to miss periods if I was overly stressed, happened a couple of times and really freaked me out (which led to more stress and an even later period). Remember doc saying it happens and wasn't anything to be overly concerned about - and it did right itself.

Kafri Thu 04-Apr-13 13:00:09

ah gem the old Dr Google. He's evil I tell you - plain evil. if you ask him he will find a reason youve got every condition under the sun! not that I did it AT ALL while pg wink

gemmarosex Thu 04-Apr-13 13:27:10

Ha. Its the first thing I do when I susoect sonethings wrong with me. Got to stop doing it! Thanks for help everyone.

Saku Thu 04-Apr-13 13:35:46

hmm late periods?? -- there is grandma advice .. eat some sesame seeds recopies, bars, chickies and papaya.. smile .. Do remember both not at same time.. wine

gemmarosex Sat 06-Apr-13 20:54:39

Just adding to this. Im getting period cramps again, no period yet but I am getting a lot of white discharge, more than usual. Been having the cramps for 4/5 days. Usually my period comes after 1 day of cramping. Whats going on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now