Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any pregnancy-friendly cold avoidance measures?

(16 Posts)
dizzy77 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:30:39

I can feel yet another one coming on at 31 weeks. DS is full of it so its only a matter of time, less than I fortnight since I started to ascend from the last one [sigh].

Willing to try weird stuff I'd usually ignore if it's safe so likely useless but helps me feel at least slightly in control against the virus. Is high dose vit c ok? Or someone mentioned something about tying an onion over your bed? I'd love to take the usual fresh-air-and-exercise route but at 2C with a poorly toddler and other pg-related contraindications to activity that's not going to happen.

Saundy Wed 03-Apr-13 09:42:53

I eat a lot of oranges & rarely get colds - there could be a link!

dizzy77 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:51:20

Saundy this baby might just BE an orange the amount of citrus I've been eating this winter! But I will take the excuse to have another whole DS naps.

Saundy Wed 03-Apr-13 12:40:28

Well that could be the name sorted at least (if Gwyneth can have an apple why not!) I hope it goes the trick smile

Saundy Wed 03-Apr-13 12:40:50

rrreow Wed 03-Apr-13 13:56:50

I take echinacea but I think it's a personal choice whether you'd want to. It's one of those 'not enough research has been done' type of things.

From BabyCenter:

"While there are not very many studies of the safety of herbs in pregnancy, there is an indication in the literature that echinacea may be safe in pregnancy.

An often-cited study published in 2000 found no difference in birth defects, miscarriages, and live births among 206 women who took echinacea during pregnancy and a similar group that did not. The study was small but useful, in that 112 of the pregnant women who took echinacea did so during the critical first trimester. The authors concluded that echinacea was safe during pregnancy, including early pregnancy."

citrus is fine.

i suppose the trick is to keep wrapped up and warm, don't stand too close to ill people, make sure everyone washed hands properly.
and eat well. don't let yourself get run down.

scaredbutexcited Wed 03-Apr-13 16:39:14

I take an Omega 3 supplement, I haven't had a cold.

Also staying well hydrated and generally avoiding sick people!

SpringHare Wed 03-Apr-13 17:11:21

Flush out bunged up nasal passages and sinuses with Sterimar nasal spray. It's just saline, totally safe (and says so on the can). It really works.

cupcake78 Wed 03-Apr-13 17:16:38

Wash your hands, door handles, switched, telephones, remote controls, stair bannister and anything else you touch daily.

Eat well. I don't think you can take echinacea in pregnancy, 5years ago you couldn't anyway. Get as much rest as you can.

It will reduce your chances but nothing can stop it from happening, sadly.

ButteryJam Thu 04-Apr-13 01:01:13

Ginger chicken soup
Ginger tea with spices
Honey and lemon water
Honey and cinnamon milk

Boots sell a cold defence nasal spray that's safe in pregnancy. Impossible for me to say if it works or not, but I've only had One mild cold since I started using it, and previously it seemed I was constantly being infected by my germy toddler

dizzy77 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:56

Cleaning. Yes. Must...do...more. And hot (in both senses) soup. Thank you.

SomethingOnce Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:24

Doesn't craving oranges/citrus men you're having a girl?

SomethingOnce Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:55

Mean, not men!

ananikifo Sat 06-Apr-13 11:32:37

Sorry to state the obvious, but hand washing and avoiding sick people. Not that it's worked for me I'm only 12 weeks and I seem to be picking up everything.

I bought a sinus rinse kit but haven't actually used it yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now