Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(978 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 01-Apr-13 18:03:32

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine bluebirdsunshine (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kalidasa, Nannyl and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

TiredFeet Sun 12-May-13 17:26:34

yoni I think this will definitely be my last, totally understand your mum!

hyper might be worth a chat to dr? It sounds miserable sad

y2k1sophie Sun 12-May-13 17:55:16

Hello, I'm hoping some of the ladies on ondansetron can give me some advice. My GP is not helpful but reluctantly prescribed me ondansetron 4mg twice a day last week at my request. I am a doctor (paediatrician) and had tried some tablets a colleague had given me and they are definitely the best. I've also tried promethazine, cyclizine and metoclopramide before this. The ondansetron has pretty much stopped the vomiting (I accidentally took a cyclizine instead the other day and spent the morning vomiting before I realised my error). But the nausea and retching is worsening over the last few days and I have 12 consecutive days at work coming up. Should I ask to increase the dose to 4mg three times per day, or 8mg twice a day, or combine it with another med (I don't think cyclizine helps me). Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Hyperhelpmum Sun 12-May-13 18:38:22

Hi Sophie I too found ondansetron the only thing that worked and was prescribed 4mg up to 3 times a day as needed by consultant. My GP surgery refused to provide a repeat prescription and I had a battle getting more so im glad you got some. I'm not sure about doses but I agree the cyclizine is pretty useless. Unfortunately none of the meds are a magic cure and the only thing that reliably helped was bed rest (even then much of it feeling horrendously nauseous). I'm 12 weeks and still feeling grim alot of the time. Can you speak to your GP or a consultant where you work? The ideal would be time off. 12 days on is going to be very hard for you I fear. I know it's bloody awful, I too work NHs and cancelled a month of clinics but had NO choice. Poor you. It's grim.

Sophie I'm on 4mg ondansetron 3 times daily, although still needing IV top ups several times a week when everything gets too bad.

Hyper I'm also on ranitidine, which I have tablets for, but also sometimes have IV, that eases the acid reflux which might be worth speaking to your GP about?

This really has to be my last baby, I can't be putting my body through this again. My youngest will be nearly 8 when this one arrives, and it is awful that the memories of being pg with her keep coming back. I am worse this time though, but attributing some of that to the fact that life has been so stressful and it has been almost impossible to rest properly as a result. Although, given this baby was meant to represent the happy beginning/ending, part of me is very sad about that. I so want to bring a baby into a "normal" family. The dad of my other DCs left when DD was 4 months old after being an utter nightmare during my pregnancy, and then being awful to me when she was tiny. So, I thought planning this baby with my husband was a great idea. At least I know my baby will be born into a loving family, albeit not the family I thought.

Nearly 29 weeks now - soooo looking forward to being able to function properly again.

sprite25 Sun 12-May-13 20:26:19

Hello all just thought id check in, well this weekend has been abit more bearable then I thought it would be but still feel sicky, tired and headachy sad also the lovely heartburn Ive heard so much about has decided to make an uninvited appearance which doesnt help the sick feeling but I guess its better then throwing up? I dont suppose anyone out there has any advice about brushing teeth? My gag reflex to my toothbrush/toothpaste is now so sensitive that I cant brush my teeth at all without throwing up a mouthful of stomach acid into the sink (sorry TMI) its awful and now I only have to look at my toothbrush and know I have to brush my teeth and my stomach starts churning.

y2k1sophie Sun 12-May-13 22:08:39

Thanks for the replies. I'll try upping the dose to 3 times a day tomorrow. I have already been signed off for a fortnight but I'm going back 4 days early. I have to at least try working but bed and sofa rest have definitely been helpful.

TiredFeet Sun 12-May-13 22:10:28

waves I know what you are meaning. but I think you are right to focus on the fact that the baby will be born into a loving family, just not the one you expected. I bet the baby will have so much love from your children smile . the end is getting closer and closer, each day, each hour gets you closer to feeling human again smile

I am feeling down, my sickness had gone by this time last time round, but I am getting sicker again sad I suspect its the stress. cant face much longer of this, in my head it was all going to be over by now!

sprite if you can't brush them the advice I got was to at least rinse mouth with water when you can. also I found when I couldnt' even look at toothbrush that I could use mouthwash. I had same problem last time round and my teeth survived

Hyperhelpmum Sun 12-May-13 22:50:23

Waves your baby will be adored by siblings and their friends. My best friend at schools mum had a baby when we were 9 and we adored her! She is now as close to her two older sisters as they are too each other. No family is perfect and dynamics can change in a heart beat (great friends if my mum list their 32 yr old daughter to sudden adult death last month and she has left a 2 yr old boy behind, she was a single parent) none of us can guarantee our children anything but love from us. You will give that in spades I'm sure. Tired, don't loose heart, you must be having a v stressful time plus this time you have DS1 to look after. I too have gone downhill this last week as started doing more as felt better. Back to resting as much as possible for me. Scan tomorrow so fingers crossed all is good. Hope everyone has a good nights sleep and tomorrow is another day x

LucindaE Mon 13-May-13 09:20:59

Sophie One of my favourite names - I feel diffident abut offering advice to a dr - but most people on here find realistically they can't work for at least a few weeks, even with effective treatment. Do watch out for those locked up bowls with Ondansetron - you'll know all about the suppositories to get things going again. Some people have found combining Ondansetron with cylcazine even more helpful and doses of B6, I think?
On locked up bowls, I do hope Room has had some relief my goodness.
Waves Hugs. You have been magnificent, and one of the worst cases that has ever been on this thread, let alone all the problems with OH, who's head I would like to hold under a cow's behind, but there's no point in my ranting about that.
Tired You'll be glad that decision has been taken out of your hands.
I wish I had had two even though what with the Hyperemesis and migraines, I would have been pole axed. I so agree about mouthwash - my teeth, I am sorry to say, tended to go unbrushed as often as not. Well, my breath wasn't too good anyway...shock
Yoni Hugs. Good luck for scan. The time will slowly pass and you will incredibly be posting here saying that it was worth it after all.
Everything That spit is awful, and sometimes one has to carry a jar or container about, really grim.
Hyper Wise words. That bloated feeling is awful and the acid, I do feel for you.
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Mon 13-May-13 10:25:49

Oh, and meant to say, Everyone One of the women who was on the thread, then called Caramellokoalalover now bluebirdsunshine who suffered throughout and with whom I have kept in touch, does a blog which people might find makes them remember there's light at the end of the tunnel. bluebirdsunshine.co.uk/tag/sibling-love/ She's been nominated for a blog award, and I hope she wins.
Lucinda
xx

Reading about all the med horrors, mine seem to work, I know when they wear off tho so I know its the meds working. I thought I would check. I'm on Prochlorperazine?

Pollaidh Mon 13-May-13 11:06:41

Hello all,
Hopefully a ray of hope for people here - I'm at 22 weeks and am now down to vomiting/retching just a couple of times a day, and patches of nausea, plus down to just cyclizine now except if things look like they're escalating (I was on all the drugs + multiple IV episodes). This is pretty consistent with my first pregnancy. I am feeling lively, it's so nice! Even went out for a meal with dh, although finding food I fancied was a challenge.

On the down side I am on crutches with SPD, and unbelievably I appear to have gout!! Severe pain in my big toe, can't put weight on it. Had an x-ray today but it's either ligaments or gout and gout seems most likely - looked it up and it can result from rapid weight loss, dehydration, poor diet, and high intake of sugary drinks. Well I've been starving and dehydrated for 5 months, living off lucozade... so the HG continues to be a pain in the arse foot. Lucinda I wondered if you'd heard of any other HG sufferers getting gout?

TiredFeet Mon 13-May-13 12:59:30

pollaidh wow glad you are feeling a little better but sorry to hear you are now having to battle other problems

yoni I have prochlorperazine and metoclopramide, that seems to work most of the time for me

Thanks for the blog tip lucinda smile

LucindaE Mon 13-May-13 13:27:28

Tired I hope it might show the joys in store.
and Yoni It's great that those meds are working - it's so dismal when someone is on the full dosage of a cocktail and still suffering horribly, as was the se with wavesandsmiles and I am afraid, still largely is. I don't known the brand name or I'm being particularly stupid today?
Pollidah That's awful - some women do develop SPD, apparently partly becuase of that chemical that expands and relaxes your pelvis and joints going overboard - and maybe also, having been confined to bed for weeks - but I never heard of gout before as a side effect, how painful.
Hugs. It's good the puking has eased,but what a nasty replacement.
Lucinda
xx

Tallyra Mon 13-May-13 14:58:44

yes yoni I had prochlorperazine as one of my meds. It does knock me out slightly but that's usually when I have a migraine so still trying to get stuff done. if you're bed/sofa bound then it should be fine.

Hyperhelpmum Mon 13-May-13 15:39:18

Had my scan and I'm a week further on so 13 weeks now! Can't believe how clear and amazing it was. I feel so happy and like I can face this crappy daily sickness and pain (today!) I think HG ladies should get more scans to keep us going! Chins up people, it's going to be worth it eventually. X

caramellokoalalover Mon 13-May-13 15:39:39

Aw, thanks Lucinda for the blog mention. There is no way I could have got through HG the 2nd time round without this thread and Lucinda and all the other lovely MNer's support. There was always someone around to laugh with, a wealth of shared knowledge and a shoulder to cry on when I needed it. <mushy face> smile

Here's a post I wrote last year about my experience with HG if anyone wants to read more: F*ck Ginger Biscuits

Sorry to all those suffering at the moment...all I can say is you have my utter sympathy and understanding and you'll be stronger than you ever thought possible after going through HG.

Hyperhelpmum Mon 13-May-13 15:39:56

(She says running to vomit up lunch) !!!

TiredFeet Mon 13-May-13 15:57:44

caramello thank you for that link to your blog post, it really resonated with me and I want a badge made up with 'fuck you and your ginger biscuits' !!! I am going to link to your post from my facebook once I am going public with my news, as I think it sets out so well why it is different from morning sickness.

hyper congratulations!! and great news that you are a week further on smile

I have had a positive day today, went into work feeling awful, and stressed about life and managing and everything. so I have (slightly naughtily) taken the afternoon off sick even though I guess I could have struggled on. got my car valeted while I bought a few bits of food I can face eating and some things I desperately need for the house and then came home, called to arrange a cleaner and then put my feet up in front of the telly. it feels indulgent when technically I could have limped along at work, but I could feel myself at breaking point. my car looks so lovely and shiny now (it is my pride and joy as I only learnt to drive this year after being too scared for years) and I can't wait for my house to feel clean and tidy too smile

Tallyra Mon 13-May-13 16:44:15

Yay hyper, that must be such a fantastic feeling!

Tired, good for you grin

mrsmegaw Mon 13-May-13 18:49:59

Just thought id drop myself into thread. currently 7 weeks along with number 3 & really feeling the trouble start! had hg with my 2 boys from 12 weeks onwards but aside from the sickness felt pretty good...this time round i feel like curling up in bed alone, which of course is impossible with 7&2 yr olds! so glad to have found this post though, knowing you guys are goin through tough times too helps as i feel guilty for not 'blooming' through pregnancy!

sprite25 Mon 13-May-13 19:18:46

Hello all, just dropping in again. Hope everyone is feeling better today although reading some of the posts I see alot of us are suffering sad I think I pushed myself too far today, thought I would do abit of house work while DH was at work and now paying the price for it as I feel awful (sicky, heartburn, tired) and even seem to have pulled a muscle in my side while cleaning which now hurts every time I move or even breath too deeply. I was already dreading going to work all day tomorrow but I really really wish I didnt have to face it. I think all of this has got me abit run down as I also have a lovely cold sore developing on my mouth (as if I didnt already feel sexy enough with the mega bloating and gas). I feel like Im going to need a holiday to get over being pregnant, never mind how people feel like this and then manage to look after a newborn baby!!!

Haylebop12 Mon 13-May-13 19:30:28

Just nipping back to see how everyone is?

For those I've not met, I'm a HG surviver!. HG eased massively at 14 weeks despite 6 admissions and since then (18 weeks now) I've been sick three separate times.

Those who are struggling finding the right meds, had your docs considered mixing two? I was on cyclizine and metochlopromide and told they work in different ways. One for your brain and one which settles your stomach.

waves you truly are a fighter and its lovely to see your are trying not to let this all bring you down.

you can all do this

Hyperhelpmum Mon 13-May-13 19:47:50

Tired you did just the right thing and well done you! We all need a little self indulgence and glad you took it. Welcome mrsmegaw, I'm on number three with two boys too! Snap! Are you on meds yet? Sprite, I've done the same with excitement of scan and now feel awful and can't stop puking battery acid bile. Grim. Put my news on Facebook and one girl I work with couldn't wait to tell me how lucky she feels hearing my story as she has 'sailed' through her pregnancy! Secretly hoping she has a nightmare baby so I can stick a virtual tongue out at her!!mi wouldn't wish this on anyone but there is no need to gloat! Glad you are feeling better haylebop, I'm praying I might join you as felt ok at 18 weeks with my boys. Hope everyone else in surviving. Thank you for your kind wors Tallyra flowers for you to join us (not in sickness way!!!!) ASAP x

caramellokoalalover Mon 13-May-13 20:47:39

TiredFeet I think the badge sounds like a great idea. And maybe a sickbag with 'I'm not hungover, I'm pregnant' to use in public too wink

Be gentle on yourselves everyone, try not to feel guilty for resting when you need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now