Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(978 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 01-Apr-13 18:03:32

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine bluebirdsunshine (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kalidasa, Nannyl and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Twit Fri 26-Apr-13 10:45:44

Oops x post, yes they are amazing, and I think they understand when we need them to be like that, even if the other adults around them don't. Ad although it seems like it will never end right now, it's actually such a short amount of time in the whole scheme of things, there is plenty of time to be the person you want to be when you're able to.

It's truly amazing when you find that 'thing' isn't it? Just make sure you've got loads in and be prepared to hate it after you've stopped being unwell....

fl0b0t Fri 26-Apr-13 10:59:19

Thanks lucinda. I've been physically relatively well, keeping most things down and genuinely living a normalish life- so no need to worry about me any more (for now). I am really awfully nauseous evenings only, and struggling with terrible gas and wind (which never helps) after about midday.
Baby wriggled a little at 13-14 weeks, thne nothing til Monday... It must be practicing karate now!!

Fingers crossed for lots of angelic babies. hyper glad the peach squash is working! I'd never have dreamt of trying it before this and somehow a bottle appeared in my kitchen (maybe bought by mistake?) and since about 11 weeks it's become my staple drink. Isn't it weird how we find ourselves on such unexpected sources of food and drink?

LucindaE Fri 26-Apr-13 12:53:46

Twit I was travel sick too as a child, that's interesting.
It's intriguing what you say about flat coke as a curative for stomach problems as it was recommended flat to me when I was suffering from puking on holiday in Tunisia (where daughter was conceived). I was puking because of a homeopathic remedy for miscarriage, the homeopath said that was a massively strong reaction, I was later to wonder suspiciously if it was connected with the later Hyperemesis, lol.
Flo I am so glad you are (comparatively) well. The wind really is an embarrassment, though not quite as bad as public puking.
waves Fascinating how that peach squash turned up!
Hyper I do hope you're not so ill today?
New people I hope surviving and equipped with kesositx..
It's sweet, those LO's being so understanding; they''ll have to have extra special birthdays next year, but as you say, a sibling is a lifelong compensation.
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored or through cross posting.
Lucinda
xx

Hyperhelpmum Fri 26-Apr-13 13:04:30

In terms of links with HG I get very bad low blood sugar symptoms when not preg and both boys were big at birth, DS2 10lb. Midwife wants to monitor me for gestational diabetes. I am also fairly hormonal in PMT terms and currently have horrific skin (not normal for me). I have had migraines when 12/13 and pregnant- definitely hormone related. I also had PNI with both and convinced it was hormone related. It came on at 16 weeks after birth and GP said hormones drop at this time? My mum is one of 8 and all her sisters were pretty sick in pregnancy (no one this bad but my mum says she felt like death and could hardly move).

I don't however get travel sick.

I think hormones and blood sugar are likely to be linked and these would both have genetic links I think?

TiredFeet Fri 26-Apr-13 13:48:29

its interesting all the connections and links. wouldn't it be wonderful if more research was done and so there was more information about constructive things we could do that would help, or more treatments available. the hormonal thing is interesting, I definitely suffer quite badly or perhaps I should say DH suffers from pre menstrual hormones, I am often uncontrollably tearful. I don't get travel sick though

there does also seem to be a link with hyperemesis and monster babies at birth from people I've spoken too. DS was 9lb7 but both dh and I are quite small.

agree about small children being amazing at coping! they are little heroes.

room it is lovely to hear from you, I'm glad baby's decided to stay put for now smile but really sorry your are still suffering. I definitely think those with HG all the way through deserve easy labours, and lovely placid sleepy babies

Tallyra Fri 26-Apr-13 15:55:03

I don't get particularly travel sick in the car but recently realised that I do on the plane - flying to nz ten years ago and the other month to Africa confirmed it. I also have trouble with sickness, increased severity and duration of hangovers compared to other people I know. I have also suffered from migraines since my twenties, which are dehydration and alcohol triggered among other things, although oddly I have never had any whilst pregnant, even whilst admitted for a drip!

Tallyra Fri 26-Apr-13 15:56:52

I wonder if this is something else that MOH or SS could look into?

Hyperhelpmum Fri 26-Apr-13 17:56:35

I used to get incredibly sick from drinking, no more alcohol than friends but really really sick. Is that just called being a lightweight tallyra?!!!!

Reebok Fri 26-Apr-13 18:09:43

Lol waves about being in a race! I tell you, I cannot wait for this pregnancy to be over and hold my baby in my arms.

Lucinda, yes unfortunately I'm being sick every day despite the meds and find I am worse if I miss them or take them slightly later. I'm surviving but fed up! Will be starting mat leave in less than 2 months though!

Room, it's lovely to hear from you. So sorry you've had it so rough lately! Not long to go though.

Flobot, thank you and I hope you're feeling better? Even if its just slightly?

Woofers Fri 26-Apr-13 18:18:23

My gp said to me that it was fact that rubbish pregnancy results in good baby. I've told her I'm coming back for a refund if that's not correct.

TiredFeet Fri 26-Apr-13 18:55:48

seems fair to me Woofers grin

grin fair deal woofers. Let's hope your GP is right!

I get dreadful travel sickness - cars, boats, buses, trains, planes. Glad that where I live I mostly just need to walk and quick 10 minute car journeys! I don't get migraines, but mum and my sister do, and apparently there are all sorts of genetic links, with me just (luckily) missing symptoms. In fact, I am quite a naturally sick person generally - bad smells make me sick even when not pregnant, so maybe there is a link? Goodness knows, I'm just looking forward to my baby being safely born and me being able to think about eating half properly again!

sprite25 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:46:54

Hi all hope everyone out there has had a good day. I had an awful evening last night and not much of a better morning (TMI WARNING) just lightly brushing my teeth made me instantly throw up in the sink sad but managed to force myself to go to work which slightly took my mind off it all but was still a struggle. I have completely gone off anything sweet, unless its plain/savoury I cant face it so if sugar does help I will have to find relief another way, also is a high intake of sugar not what causes gestational diabetes? I might be wrong :-S

Oh, gestational diabetes sad I have to have the glucose tolerance test in a week and a half! My dad had type 1 diabetes so I am high risk for it.... The midwives are researching whether I can have my IV ondansetron before having the sugary drink, and it will be a long day at hospital, with 2.5 hours for the test followed by all my fluids. I'll get a confirmed day on Monday, then have time at least to book some childcare as I will be at hospital most of the day for that. I don't know what causes it, just that I am high risk because dad had diabetes most of his life.

I had the GTT, Waves and took oral ondansetron before it. Apparently the result can be falsely negative if you haven't consumed (and kept down) enough carbs for the three days before the test. That was never going to happen. It seemed like a pointless exercise to me despite peeing out loads of glucose...

TiredFeet Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:13

oh Waves (and room) that GTT sounds brutal on top of everything else you have gone through.

I am feeling a bit lucky, it seems like I have had a few consistent good patches in the middle of the day, I'm wondering, tentatively, if things are dropping a little (10+2 now) . mornings and evenings / night still grim though. DH was an idiot again this morning, I asked him to deal with DS as I was feeling very sick and desperately trying to stay still in bed so my tablet stayed down, and he just started yelling and swearing at me. I think it might be close to the end for us, I know it would be hard on DS (and future child) but I cant bear to live the rest of my life with someone who throws awful sweary tantrums whenever the chips are down (there is a back history of episode like this whenever I or DS have been ill, since DS birth). I'm a bit scared but it might also be a relief. I can't bear for DS to grow up thinking it is ok to swear at people like that.

Woofers Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:17

Room and waves - I was just going to ask that - if you can't keep anything down then how can it be absorbed enough to alter your blood sugar.

Also, surely they have other ways of testing the pancreas and if its functioning within range, without doing the gtt when you already have too many variables - ie being unable to eat!!

Tallyra Sat 27-Apr-13 00:05:30

Oh tired, that sounds like a nightmare. Have you talked to him about it at all? You may be right but make sure you are certain first. xxxx Sending you support for whatever decision you make.

sprite25 Sat 27-Apr-13 06:49:02

Morning all its half 6 and im awake after a very restless night thanks to OH fidgeting/snoring all night although now I am awake he seems perfectly peaceful :| I can feel my stomach starting to churn over and even though I really dont want to I know il have to reach for the dry crackers and buccastem in a minute sad anyway hope you all have a better morning

TiredFeet Sat 27-Apr-13 06:51:48

Oh yeah, we've tried talking, or rather I have, he doesn't say much. We nearly split just before I found out I was pregnant, because of all the tantrums in the past (including a massive tantrum when ds hurt his leg at nursery and the gp said we needed to go to a&e but dh didn't want to. He yelled all the way there and sulked and whined in a&e. Turned out my poor baby boys leg was broken sad ). So why dh thought it was ok to throw tantrums while I am ill I will never know. I am trying to get him to talk before I just end it, but he won't.

TiredFeet Sat 27-Apr-13 06:53:04

Morning spring, wish you weren't feeling so bad. I hate the waking up feeling awful bit sad

Hyperhelpmum Sat 27-Apr-13 08:24:52

tired I am 10 +1 and also feeling a swing in the right direction yesterday and day before with some ok patches. Also, so so sorry to hear about DH. It is the last thing you need. What a bloody nightmare. I agree it is not nice when they shout as mine used to loose it v easily but has improved over the years. He never swore and actually if it comes to one of the children being ill or hurt he is totally with me in terms of caring for them. It's only me he has found it hard to be kind or sympathetic too when ill. We had counselling and the lady asked us about how our mothers reacted when we were ill. Turns out mine was totally attentive and caring, his (he was youngest of 7) left them to get on with it. It does make sense why he just cannot do 'caring'. He never saw it or learnt it from parents. By the way he just came in and shouted I've got to get to work I can't deal with them (DS2 dirty nappy-great!). Temper issues run rife in HG husbands today!

TiredFeet Sat 27-Apr-13 09:03:46

See dh parents are the most lovely caring non-sweary people in all the world, so he can't blame that, in fact they looked after me for a few days when I was at my illest. But he has always had a temper, his dad even warned me about it when we first met (!) But of course you don't see it in the early days, in fact it only really emerged when ds was born. I just worry it will go down hill more when dc2 arrives, and that really scares me. And I don't want ds growing up to think it is ok to treat me, or women in general, like that

Sorry for ranting, stuck in bed chewing it all over!

Oh hyper its not good he left you with dirty nappy, that is one of the hardest jobs with this. I guess he is stressed about getting to work though. Hope today goes ok and you keep improving smile

LucindaE Sat 27-Apr-13 09:58:35

Tiredfeet Hugs I am so sorry DH is being so unfeeling. It's odd that unlike Hyper's Oh who's mother wasn't sympathetic with illness, he hasn't got a family history of maternal indifference to suffering. Did you say he is adamant about not seeing a counsellor? It's very hard to take any decisions when this ill and I think with some exceptions it is hard to get men to delve into issues generally. Does he realise how upset you are?
I don't know how waves managed to deal with the problems with her ex so efficiently.
Sprite What a horrible way it is to start the spring day, as you say. Numerous women on here at the moment have been very unlucky in having it carry on but for most people it does get a lot better sometime in the second tri, even if it doesn't go away completely.
How are Bodo and Boymeetsworld, Emmy and others?
Lucinda
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now