Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(978 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 01-Apr-13 18:03:32

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine bluebirdsunshine (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kalidasa, Nannyl and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Lotta1234 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:05:01

Hello,

Marking my place. Hoping to make it back to work this week ...

Hotcross early scans can be inaccurate. More so if you have a retroverted uterus. And great news about dh.

Flobot am off the promethazine and feeling better for it.

Sorry no time to name check all.

X

hotcrosbum Tue 02-Apr-13 11:13:07

Lotta, I know I am back again for another one next friday, I am positive I am 8 weeks ..... my period was due on a sat, I did a pos test on the friday and I was having strong symptoms (sore breasts, tiredness, nausea etc) from the sat before my period was due, I am sure that it will be corrected to my dates.

honeymoonmum Tue 02-Apr-13 11:25:02

First hospital admission, scared sad what can I expect?

HumphreyCobbler Tue 02-Apr-13 12:31:41

honeymoonmum, I don't know as it never happened to me but hand holding here XXX

Glad you saw a heartbeat hotcross, sorry you are a week back though. And pleased to hear you are feeling a bit better fl0.

kw how are things? Really hope you are being looked after.

I feel a bit down, at hospital as usual having been to work this morning. Definitely not the right thing as was waking up in the night to be sick. I was weighed and am 1.5 kilos down on last week so feeling rather rubbish about that. Hopefully I'll feel a bit brighter soon once the IV ondansetron kicks in and the fluids are through.

I'm so sad about my marriage, I was so happy and even with what he did I thought we could make things work. But he was not remotely committed to that so I'm trying to face up to the new reality. Baby is giving some hefty kicks now which is reassuring.

Hoping you all have an easier week

Honeymoonmum it depends on your hospital. Expect to need to produce a urine sample and be giving fluids and anti-sickness straight in to a vein. Some hospitals admit on a day case basis, others keep you in overnight and won't discharge until you can do certain things (tolerate oral fluids, light diet, wee max 2+ ketones, manage with oral meds, for example). Some hospitals are great and stick you straight on ondansetron, others faff about with other meds first.

Don't be worried about going in though. Just rest and let them care for you.

honeymoonmum in my experience, hospital admissions are super as you will leave feeling so much better. Urine analysis, probably taking bloods but that is simpler as they can take them from the cannula as I assume you will be on IV fluids. If the meds work, eat as much as you can!

Thinking of you x

Lotta1234 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:15:45

Oh Waves, it is really sad and you've been amazingly strong. Huge hug. You are my HG hero. There's a diagram of the grief/change cycle so what you're feeling is really normal considering what you've been put through. Doesn't make it easier but hope it makes the up-and-downness less worrying. And yay to baby kicking. That's a good sign.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 02-Apr-13 14:43:02

Waves, I am so sorry you have to go through this sadness and stress at a time you are feeling so ill. <hugs>

PrincessRichards Tue 02-Apr-13 14:57:28

Hotcross I know how you feel, my first admission they scanned me and put me back a week, I was devastated. Had 12 week scan and even the extra 2 days they've added makes me gutted! Just want to get to the end now.

Hoped everyone is coping ok whether it's in hospital or on the school run, at work etc

LucindaE Tue 02-Apr-13 15:17:55

Honeymoon You'll feel a lot better when they get some fluids into you. Hugs all round, to Waves I so agree, she is a Hyperemesis Hero (ine) and Hotcross I'm glad OH is behaving. Lotta Mother hen hopes you aren't going back to work too soon.
Who was it who was having a scan,Humpherey was it you? How did it go?
KW Are you in contact from hospital bed? How are you?
Thinking of everyone.
Lucinda
xx

Kw2013 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:30:04

Hi everyone sorry been sleeping a lot.. In hospital got my drip in now and got IV antiemetics.. My iron levels are really low and there has been a bit of talk about induction.. My main consultant is coming in the morning to discuss my options.. Sorry to keep short I'm a bit out of it.

honeymoon I hope your feeling much better soon, try and enjoy the rest!

Pollaidh Tue 02-Apr-13 18:04:21

Hello all.
So glad you're getting support at home now hotcross and glad your children are being great waves, you must be very proud of them.

I had a few good days last week and started to show an interest in life again, but on Friday and Saturday I couldn't keep anything down, not even ice, and ketones were at +3. It was probably stupid but as I couldn't go directly to maternity on a BH, the thought of A&E waiting room with all the drunks and rugger fans on a Sat night was too awful, so I stayed at home. Ketones seem to improve to a trace/+1 on Sun/Mon but I've just measured them and they're between +3 and +4 again. I've been able to eat and drink a little (getting about 300 cals down a day) so I don't understand why they're so bad. Planning on waiting til tomorrow morning and getting an emergency GP appt unless anyone thinks this is really stupid. I can't see any veins in my arms so i guess I am dehydrated, but I'm not being that sick today, just unable to drink much.

Had a scan a week ago and baby is measuring a lot bigger than it can possibly be. Find this hard to fathom given how little I'm managing to eat, and given my stomach is concave and my clothes are hanging off me at 15 weeks, no sign of a bump. Skin on my face is peeling off too. This is so glamorous.

I'm on cyclizine, stemetil and met... something, plus thiamine (yes they are massive and stink).

PrincessRichards Tue 02-Apr-13 18:50:13

Pollaidh it sounds like you really need to get yourself in tomorrow as you say if not before. I'm probably not the best to give advice as I always leave it too long to go but it sounds like you can tell yourself that you need to get in. Isn't it frustrating how you feel like you've turned a corner only a week later to feel like you've done a u turn hmm I've had some good days but still struggling with what I can eat, still very limited and still feel rotten every day hmm

Pollaidh Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:50

If my ketones reduce again tomorrow, should I push for admission still?

Tallyra Tue 02-Apr-13 21:10:37

I think so Pollaidh. 3 is still admittable.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 02-Apr-13 21:30:07

My scan is on Thursday LucindaE.

I shouldn't really be here on this thread I think, as the meds are really working well for me and I would say I was only suffering from ordinary morning sickness now, although I have been sick two or three times most days I am finding that I can eat most things again without trauma. Of course I also spend a lot of time thinking that this is because it has all gone wrong.

Good luck Pollaidh, hope you get the treatment you need.

Kw2013 - thinking of you in the hospital.

LucindaE Tue 02-Apr-13 22:28:25

Pollidah Oh dear, unless your GP is very sympathetic and good, might be best to go straight to A and E tommorow, depends how quickly GP can get you admitted. Sorry you have to go in. Doesn't look like those meds including the awful Thiamine are doing the good they should...
Poor Everyone lots of admissions on the thread this last few days.
Lucinda
xx

littleducks Wed 03-Apr-13 10:18:22

It is the A and E waiting room that puts me off hosital admissions too, the lights really get to me when I'm dehydrated. At my hospital its quicker from the waiting room inside to a trolley with a GP letter but the actual wait for a gynae dr at this point or a bed on the wardis no quicker, that seems to be influenced by how many other patients dr has to see and where they are (huge distance from wards to a and e in my hospital). At low staffing times its a joint obs/gynae dr on call which leads to even longer waits.

But I must admit once I brave it and after I have had the fluids in for a bit and the IV cyclizine and waited for the head rush/shivering assosciated with that to fade I FEEL MUCH BETTER. And the zoneing out techniques I use to try and ignore all the negatives are an absolutely fantastic in labour!

honeymoonmum Wed 03-Apr-13 10:41:28

Ahhh sigh of relief. They finally got a line I. And 3 litres of fluids plus cyclizine later and I feel human again. Not pleasant but a relief to eat again. Thanks for all your kind wishes and hope everyone else Doing ok. On a plus point only one baby in there!!!!!

Haylebop12 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:56:00

Marking

Haylebop12 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:59:07

Marking place on the shiny new Fred.

little just read your comment... Was at my mums yesterday and she hasn't changed her clocks. Cue my tablet being just an hour late and I've started being sick again. Threw up the tablet I tried to take last night and more than likely will be getting an admission today. Docs later this afternoon but my urine is literally brown and my energy levels are rock bottom.

Guess I'm not ready then....

lucinda got the doctor to sign me off yday two weeks.

littleducks Wed 03-Apr-13 12:17:19

Hayle-Bugger, maybe give it a week or two?

Pollaidh Wed 03-Apr-13 13:17:59

Hmmm. Ketones back to trace this morning. I have a short period most evenings where i can keep some fluids and food down. Maybe this is what is improving my ketones overnight.

I can't see that the hospital will admit me with trace ketones, but I'm concerned that having high ketones every day will be dangerous for the baby.

Any advice please? It doesn't seem clear cut.

pollaidh I keep getting told that none of this at all is dangerous for the baby, just pretty awful for me. My ketones definitely fluctuate, but having the daily fluids is just about keeping me balanced so a little better in myself.

I feel for all those of you having to go via a and e or gps to get treatment. Since my first admission I've been able to call up the ward and come straight up, before the daily regime as soon as ketones hit 3+ that was enough for them to admit me. Benefits of not being part of the nhs and it being a small hospital (I'm in the channel islands)

Best wishes to you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now