Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(978 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 01-Apr-13 18:03:32

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine bluebirdsunshine (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kalidasa, Nannyl and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Lotta1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:59:55

Oh Waves, you have had a hard time. It's really not fair. But I guarantee you that your ex will rue treating you so badly. You are doing so well when so unwell and that makes you pretty amazing in my book.

I'm back at work and it's been lovely to see friends but not easy dealing with a few women's inability to understand why I was off so long with hyperemesis gravidarum. A couple are saying they have no work to give me when I'm meant to be working with them so I have very little to do. Coupled with pregnancy it's been making me rather teary. I think the problem stems from these women having had morning sickness and not realising how bloody debilitating HG is along with making you so ill.

I'm seeing my consultant tomorrow, hoping she might have some long term plans we can discuss. No chance of a reconciliation, he doesn't love me anymore and has been such an utter cock I don't think I'd ever forget this.

Just feels overwhelmingly lonely, HG is like that anyway, but more so at the moment

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:10

Oh waves, no wonder things sometimes get too much. You have been so strong, but you have had to be so I know it is no consolation to hear that. Just the physical illness you are going through is so isolating, let along your DH leaving sad

Lotta, I would be tempted to print out an article about HG, or some information from the PSS website and hand it to your colleagues.

Oh, and I think the HG certainly worsened things with DH. He kept saying I'm no fun anymore sad

Pollaidh Thu 18-Apr-13 21:31:36

Hmm. I'd like to see him being fun with vomit coming out of (almost) every orifice. I'm sorry waves and others who don't have much support. I can't imagine how you all feel, and I know I'm very lucky (my dh and I have had a lot of practice at serious illness and difficult situations, so I think that has helped).

Emmylou22 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:37:14

Hi everyone. I've just joined Mumsnet and am about 7 weeks pregnant. At first it was just nausea, which I could cope with, but for the past week it's been absolute hell. I'm constantly hungry but feel too sick to eat. Was off work last Friday, went back on Monday then was so exhausted and poorly I haven't been in since. Feeling so guilty about not being at work and feel I should be trying harder. They do know I'm pregnant but I'm constantly worrying I'm going to get the sack for being off sick (especially as I was signed off for 3 weeks with an unrelated illness 5 months ago and it all builds up). How are you ladies coping with it? Are you at work or have you been signed off? Went to the docs on Monday and I have Avomine which helps a bit but still feel so awful and weak most days :-(

TiredFeet Thu 18-Apr-13 21:49:35

Hi emmylou sorry you have to join us. Sorry you are worried about work.have they said anything that makes you worry? Pregnancy related illness is very protected I believe. Hopefully someone here can tell you more or if not people on the employment boards have helped me lots in the past. I am off work almost the whole time, made it in one day this week and once last week. Not getting any hassle though luckily

waves I am so angry at your ex. I really feel for you, I know a little of how desperately lonely it is and mine hasn't gone on a fraction as long as yours. I don't know if its any comfort at all but I suspect even if the hyperemesis was a factor in his timing, if it hadn't been that it would have been something else. Truly horrible thing to do to someone at their lowest point though. I really hope your consultant can help you come up with a plan that gives you a glimmer of hope for easier times ahead

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 21:49:36

hello Emmylou. Firstly have you checked your urine for ketones? you can get ketostix from the chemist, anything at 3+ requires hospitalisation as you are then really dehydrated.

It is vile, sorry you feel so bad.

Pollaidh Thu 18-Apr-13 21:50:05

Emmy hello. Sorry you've had to join our ranks. I think most of us have been signed off for weeks/months (hard to work when you're in and out of hospital/vomiting multiple times a day).

If you're in the UK be reassured that as long as they know you're pregnant they can't use pregnancy-related sickness as a reason for terminating your contract. In fact pregnancy-related sickness has to be counted separately from normal sickness, cannot be used as a basis for disciplinary measures, and also I believe if you apply to another job, which wants your previous sickness rate, you don't include pregnancy-related sickness. Make sure your fitnotes state that illness is pregnancy related (if hyperemesis, hyperemesis gravidarum is enough as it means in pregnancy).

If you are still vomiting a lot then ask your GP for different drugs. Most of us are on at least 2 different anti-emetics. I think most people would say they reduce the vomiting but unfortunately don't do much for the nausea, so it's still a struggle to get enough fluids in. Hopefully you've been told eat and drink whatever you can tolerate (even if it's a diet of fizzy cola bottles).

A useful tip is to buy ketosticks - about £5 from most pharmacies. You wee in a pot and stick in the stick for 15 seconds and then read the result - if it's +++ or ++++ then you need to go to doctor or A&E and get IV fluids and more drugs.

Emmylou22 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:01:04

Thank you all so much for replying, it means so much to talk to other people going through it. Husband is doing all he can but obvs doesn't have first hand experience!

Work have been very kind but I'm a constant worrier anyway and just keep thinking about all the work that's probably piling up. Will have to slap myself on the wrist whenever I worry about things like that.

The tablets have reduced the number of times I've been sick but today was so awful. Hubs said I was completely delirious this morning - just lay in bed crying, in pain with the hunger, feeling so weak but so sick at the same time. Begged him not to leave me alone as I felt so scared so he ended up working from home in case I needed him. Have perked up a bit throughout the day but I just know how awful I'm going to feel in the morning sad

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 22:09:26

Emmylou - I think you need to go to see your GP again and be tested. Delirium is a sign of dehydration. Can you keep any fluid down at all?

emmy, it sounds awful and I do empathise with the work situation as I'm an awful worrier too. Do try to get some ketostix, and return to the GP of your meds aren't working.

Glad you have some support, just don't try to do anything. Laying flat in bed seems to help for lots of people.

honeymoonmum Thu 18-Apr-13 22:10:45

lotta you should not be made to feel bad but I know exactly what you mean. There is a girl I work with and we discussed our previous pregnancy sickness experienced prior to me getting
HG this time round. She says she vomitted daily throughout both her pregnancies but continued working etc by eating the whole time. Since I've been off sick I've had a few texts from her saying well you knew it would be like this (ermmm, no I had never been hospitalised twice in one week and lost 10lbs in 10 days) and saying oh you always forget what it was like (I will NEVER forget the horror of HG) just feel she somehow thinks she coped do why can't I? Bit upsetting she can't see the difference between being unable to eat or drink and what she had. Makes me feel I'm a wimp. I worry she might be saying yes well I worked when I was sick etc. so welcome emmy and I too feel guilt at being signed off for a month now when we are really short staffed and have NHS pressures to see patients in x number of weeks. What can I do though? I can't leave house let alone drive to work.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 22:15:00

That is so infuriating honeymoonmum. I have had what i would consider to be bad morning sickness in all of my previous pregnancies BUT I was able to keep down food and fluid, I lost no weight and I was able to carry on working although I felt vile. Having HG was NOTHING like this. I think people who do not realise that it is different must be lacking in both understanding and empathy.

honeymoonmum Thu 18-Apr-13 22:15:09

Poor you emmy I'm 8 weeks and in the grips of hellish nausea too as med have controlled vomitting pretty much. II found avomine did nothing. I would ask GP for a different med. Most people need combination of two but you might have luck with one.

honeymoonmum Thu 18-Apr-13 22:18:29

Thank you hunphrey I feel vilified (questions if this is the right word?!!)

Pollaidh Thu 18-Apr-13 22:26:31

Yes, definitely safer for you, and other people (depending on your job), if you take time off. When you're dehydrated you get confused and make bad decisions, including deciding that actually you can work. I was working until I was hallucinating cats and hospitalised, which was a bad idea. God only knows what my work was like.

I worry about what work will think too, especially as had the same in first pregnancy (I sort of feel people might think I shouldn't have another after what happened last time), and 'cause I am likely to get SPD badly later. I think last time people didn't really get that it wasn't just morning sickness. I got some funny comments. This time I've been lucky that the work doctor assessed me and the report he gave work was very supportive and sets out very clearly how serious HG is.

People just don't get it - in the last week alone members of the public have advised reflexology, special (and completely impossible) diets, told me off for drinking coke when pregnant, and given various 'oh I had it badly too dear' comments. I've been lucky that friends and the colleagues I've spoken to have done some research (we are mainly scientists), and so have known what to say (and what not to say).

Tallyra Thu 18-Apr-13 22:31:46

Sorry honey I missed your post to me earlier. I didn't realise you were still only 8 weeks. I take it back then, as I was ill up until the erpc at 12 weeks the first time, which was the worst one.
Oh hell, I'm not sure what else I was going to say.

Just hello Emmy, and I'm really sorry you're here. I've tried it 3 times unsuccessfully and now in process of working out what's wong so I can try again. I'm crazy, I know.
Make sure you keep on top of the dehydration. If you get really bad, going to the GP first, before the hospital is a good idea, as they may send you to A+E with a letter. It won't get you seen there any quicker, but hopefully with a bit more knowledge they will put an IV line in a bit quicker than otherwise they might have.

Hi everyone, dh went to chemist and they didn't sell ketosticks. He called doc for me and doc called back and prescribed buccastem. Have had two doses and feel woozy and light headed and sick still but haven't been sick. Doc said if I don't pick up he wants to check my urine. Will see how I go today.
Hi haylebop I remember you, I'm sorry you've had such a crap time. I hope you're coming out of the worst of it now.
Thanks for all the support ladies, will check back later x

LucindaE Fri 19-Apr-13 09:01:50

Emmy Just dashing on to welcome you and sympathise. I'm glad at least OH is sympathetic, that is so often a problem. Remember,you are at the worst stage, only a fraction of women feel anything like as bad as this later on, most get an improvement at some point between fourteen and twenty weeks but that must seem like a life sentence to you at the moment. I think avomine is used for travel sickness, pretty weak, and so agree with others that you should ask for something else. Can you take along someone else as it's hard to argue y our corner if you feel your going to be sick at any moment? By the way, I think nobody should hold back if the dr's being awkward - go ahead and be sick in front of him or her! I should have. Agree about watching out for dehydration too, of course, and kesostix. It can creep up on you so easily.
Poll and Honey Poor you, it's infuriating. It's bad enough only being able to face this sugary and salty stuff if anything, without being told off about it. Some people even think it's your normal diet, for goodness sake. I used to give advice on severe pregnancy sickness on Answers.com and I was always being marked down for recommending unhealthy flat coke and nibbles of crisps by women who didn't understand.
Talyra Sorry about that infuriating delay, you must be desperate to start trying again. Remember lots of women have had three miscarriages before a successful pregnancy and it could well just be filthy luck.
Back soon.
Lucinda
xx

honeymoonmum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:53:59

Morning all, a beautiful day (outside my bedroom window). I too am struck down by evil constipation. Terrified of piles as have had them on and off since DS2 and DO NOT want them to get worse. Ive decided there is a slight improvement in my physical strength since taking meds and eating small amounts which is positive. Now if I can just get through gut wrenching nausea and constipation I might be on the up. Hope you are all surviving in some small HG way x

Ok scratch the haven't been sick yet bit. Have been sick and now feel like I need to be sick again. I hate this.

Hi everyone - lovely and sunny here too. Seeing my consultant in an hour, will at least get the 5th little peep at my baby. Hopefully all will be looking ok. Then it will be off to hospital for fluids.

honeymoon the glycerin suppository they gave me at hospital worked, so might be asking for one? Constipation is horrid, and seems such as unfair consequence of the dehydration/meds. My skin also looks rank now, so dry and scaly.

LucindaE Fri 19-Apr-13 10:23:53

Quiet Mother hen thinks you should ask the chemists to order those kesostix in for you (cluck, cluck). Sorry, it's awful when you don't get any relief even for a short time after puking.
Honeymoon I didn't realise it was still so early with you. 'This Too Shall Pass', though it feels like on wings of lead at the worst bit. Are those suppositories any good? MOH was able to keep that awful fibrogel down, but goodness knows how, it makes me heave normally.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Fri 19-Apr-13 10:25:00

Waves Cross posted with same advice! Happy viewing of baby.
Princess how are you these days?
Lucinda
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now