Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant (IVF) Worriers

(1000 Posts)
Dildals Sun 31-Mar-13 16:46:22

Hi everyone,

This thread is for all you incessant worriers out there, not necessarily limited to IVF-ers, although I get the feeling the people who have had trouble TTC are more prone to worrying than others!

A few of us graduated from the IVF thread (link below) and are having a go at our own thread to get out of the other IVF-ers hair! So get your roomy jogging bottoms on for some virtual hand holding, mutual symptom spotting and staying sane until the next scan date.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1691674-Excellent-Egg-Buddies-continued-Anyone-having-IVF-ICSI-in-Jan-Feb-and-March-2013-please-join-us

putthecrispsDOWN Fri 31-May-13 16:02:21

Oh buzzy I'm so sorry, how awful for you. I really hope the next few days bring something good for you. My symptoms did disappear for a while too, I hope this is just a blip for you and that everything will work out. Much love X

MrsHY1 Fri 31-May-13 16:05:44

Same here buzzy. I hope it's not bad news but my thoughts are with you if it is. x

SweetieTime Fri 31-May-13 17:20:27

crisps is it because of twins you should take higher dose folic acid? I haven't been told to do this and am not seeing midwife again until 12weeks. Not sure if I should give her a call now

Dildals Fri 31-May-13 17:33:45

Buzzy - do you have a scan next week? With my MMC they said at the first scan that it looked like it had not developed properly. To be sure they then did a scan the next week. A few bits had grown but not in a normal way, so then they declared a MMC. Totally agree that a whole month of scanning is a great way of getting you admitted to the psych ward! :-(

buzzybee123 Fri 31-May-13 17:39:01

dildals they said it would be inconclusive to scan next week, its hard as my husband is on a short contract away from home

ExpatAl Fri 31-May-13 17:48:39

Can't they take bloods? it would give you an answer way quicker.

buzzybee123 Fri 31-May-13 17:58:35

supposedly inconclusive at this stage, they need to go by the sac

That's really hard Buzzybee. Can your husband not come back to support you?

MrsHY1 Fri 31-May-13 18:54:40

Buzzy they could take blood from you say tomorrow, then again on Monday. If it's not doubling, then that would give you an answer. I don't know your circumstances or where you're based, but I'm pretty sure there are private labs that would turn this around for you quickly. Just a thought if you don't want to wait for the scans.

ExpatAl Fri 31-May-13 19:03:35

Yes I completely agree with MrsH. Also the prog levels will give you a big clue. It's much better than the agony of waiting a month.

Regarding inadvertent weeing. I had stress incontinence whilst pregnant - mostly from sneezing. I spent the last 6 weeks of pregnancy on the brink of pissing myself at all times. It seemed to stop within a week or so this time. I can't remember what happened after my (intervention filled) vaginal delivery but it stopped after that too. My bowel is a different matter entirely, but even the permanent damage there is managable as it causes constipation rather than incontinence (thank the Lord!)

There's damage done just by being pregnant and then there's damage done during labour. But hey, remember it doesn't happen to everybody!

Lovely day out. Nearly wept over duck and ducklings due to poor chance that all eight would survive, I'm clearly still very hormonal.

buzzybee123 Fri 31-May-13 20:12:09

thanks ladies but a couple of places have said that it would be inconclusive as for some reason your HCG does different things when it gets into thousands, as this is DEIVF my progesterone levels will be squiffy due to all the supplements i'm on so they won't be true readings, they like to go off scans

putthecrispsDOWN Fri 31-May-13 20:12:22

sweetie yes because of twins...I had to get a prescription from the docs for the tablets. I am taking pregnacare too. Haven't got a clue why we need over ten times the amount but will just do what I am told! How are you getting on? x

dildals I was paranoid about my bladder when I was last pregnant and did loads of exercises...have never had any problems since. Maybe it's an individual thing though if other ladies have?

putthecrispsDOWN Fri 31-May-13 20:17:45

buzzy at my last scan my embies measured 8+2...2 days older than they should have been. I asked if that was good/bad/significant...the doctor who scanned me said no, as the scans weren't that date accurate this early on...and you are even earlier than me. Not trying to convince you everything is ok but just trying to play devils advocate. Inconclusive is exactly that...you may be pupo for a little while longer but pma my lovely!!

SweetieTime Sat 01-Jun-13 08:45:57

Thanks Crisps I will give my mw a call next week to see if she can look into folic acid doses for me. I am doing really well, I have a slight bump now but luckily not a great deal of symptoms although that leads to mentalling that all is well I have booked a private NT scan for a couple of weeks time so that will be the next big thing to look forward to. Have you got a bump yet?

putthecrispsDOWN Sat 01-Jun-13 08:57:42

I think so sweetie...a bit of an extension of a tum that I already had but definitely a bump. I'm mostly wearing maternity clothes as I don't fit in my usual stuff and I think they accentuate it. I remember being massive with my last twin pregnancy...by about 18 weeks people were saying 'ooh, not long to go then'. Fuckers. I just want a proper bump though, I'm sure people keep looking at me and thinking 'baby or belly?' in their heads!

Did some reading yesterday that said most twins were born at 37weeks. Had hoped to work up to Christmas as due date is 4 Jan, but that would mean mid Dec they would be here. Seems a lot sooner if it happens this year rather than next iykwim. Do you have a due date yet? I am seeing my old foetal care consultant next week so hoping for a scan then, I will ask lots of questions and let you know what I find out. Need to find some twin mummies in my area! Where are you based? I'm on the Notts/Derbyshire border.

SweetieTime Sat 01-Jun-13 19:06:26

Crisps I am still in all my normal clothes at the moment but I tend to wear quite loose things anyway. I did think I would be bigger and showing by now but I suppose everyone is different. DH helpfully keeps pointing out heavily pregnant ladies and saying "that will be you soon" to which I jab him in the head.

I also had heard most twin are born 37 weeks. My due date is 31st Dec so I think it will be sometime in Dec. My birthday is 4th Dec when I will be the big 4-0. Ah where has time gone??? I haven't seen anyone yet but I know it will be consultant led care so just waiting for my appointment to come through.

Has your sickness eased now? I am sort of worried that I have got off so lightly on the sickness front, and other symptoms too really. It just adds to the mentalling that all is ok and am I really still pregnant. I suppose I can not change anything either way so will soon enough at my next scan in a couple of weeks.

I am in Leeds I have just been to meet another MN lady for lunch at Meadowhall this afternoon. I know a girl I went to school with who has twins that are about 1 at the moment. We are more acquaintances but I might get in touch with her later in the year to get me prepared based on her experiences although I am sure every situation is different.

Hello Ladies

I hope you are having a good day. I started this post yesterday but there was so much to catch up on that I had to leave it and come back today.

Buzzy, blimey honey, I hope you are ok. Any news? How are you feeling today? I'm sure someone else on here had problems with the digi's. Do you have your family near or someone you can stay with while DH is away? I've got everything crossed and am praying for you. I really hope that you make it through. When are you seeing a doctor/having a scan next? I hope it is soon for you.

Claire Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy. Marvellous news. You have been through so much to get here so well done on being so brave and persevering. Secondly, we are at the same stage, I'm 16+3 and am also having a hard time accepting that I'm pregnant. Only this morning, I was doing my pilates DVD watching the woman on the screen who is very pregnant and I was thinking that that couldn't possibly be me. I mean, how could I possibly be pregnant? But all the tests and scans say that I am and now I'm starting to get the bump to prove it. All we can do is take it day by day and gradually it will unfold and before we know it our babies will be here. You are in the right place with us. Funnily enough, I did my first post on the IVF thread before Christmas with many of these ladies (we have, thankfully, 'graduated' together) and they have been amazingly supportive throughout and I'm so grateful that I found that thread straight away and that I now have made lots of new friends with the lovely ladies who have joined us on here.

MrsH I wish I could work out how to view the messages whilst working on a post! I am currently reading my ipad and typing on the computer so that I can catch up and write as well. I know what you mean about wanting to feel the baby move. It seems so active in there yet I can't feel any of it. Well done with the cessation of the fanny candles. thats a big step. I'd been interested to see the pitting of the baby routine fantatics. I'm so confused by all the Gina Ford vs attachment parenting. I find myself quoting my mum who says in her day she just got on with it. Is Gina Ford the devil incarnate? Discuss.......

Dildals please forgive my ignorance but what is PGD? I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises as well and keeping my fingers crossed. I'm sorry you are having pain. That must be uncomfortable. I am feeling the stretching but keep reading that it is normal.

Fairy Have you tried an itch relief cream like E45 or something? Talc might relieve the feeling of being more sweaty but it probably won't solve itching. I say this as someone who suffers from chronic hives as you know and so I itch ALL the time! Having said that E45 doesn't help me but then I'd be applying it all the time. I find that a quick cold compress helps and takes my hive outbreaks on my body down. When I get them on my face I use witch hazel gel. I'm addicted to the stuff and buy it in bulk. It does have alcohol in it so it could be making it worse and says on the tube 'may cause irritation' which is ironic given that it is supposed to relieve irritation.

Crisps thanks for the names! so generous of you. I've decided to keep schtum for the time being about my name hunting to avoid any rows. I have found a website called nameberry. It is American but has lists of names like 1920's names or historical names for boys etc. You can make a profile and save your own lists. It's great. Needless to say I have looked at all the lists! Glad you have got the folic acid sorted out. I think that it is lovely that you could have the babies by Christmas. But I know what you mean about that seeming much sooner than saying 'next year'.

Expat How are you feeling now after your horrible experience? I'm sorry to treat you like the resident pilates expert but I have a question. On the DVD she gets on her back and does stretches where she brings up one knee and then takes it over to the side and then does the same with a straight leg. Then she does sacrum rolls with both legs up. It all takes maybe about 3-4 minutes but I didn't think that I was supposed to lay on my back. The teacher has a huge bump so I'm assuming that it is ok but do you do that in classes?

Sweetie my DP is from Yorkshire. We sometimes go to Leeds when we are up there. His Dad lives near Meadowhall. I've never been but passed it on the train. I have a friend who was born on New Year's Eve. I love NYE and the feeling of starting afresh in the new year. I think that is a great time to have a baby.

Noks, I hope you had a good day at Kew yesterday. Did you eat your body weight in cake? More maybe Noklino's body weight!

Mammoth post, sorry ladies. I notice that we have nearly finished this thread. Can you believe it? And Dildals was worried that she would be sitting in here on her own. No chance :-). I hope <please please please don't go away> that we are going to continue on another thread?

Have a good day.

Shazza xxxx

GinSoaked Sun 02-Jun-13 13:14:26

Hello ladies. Apologies for my absence - work has been crazy busy and when not there, have been sending myself crazy about the 12 week scan!

Well, we had the scan yesterday and all was well, phew. It was totally amazing to see the baby thrashing about and how much it's changed in just 6 weeks. I found its long skinny legs quite funny. It was a v special moment seeing it. Our downs risk is 1 in 2800, so a lot better than what my age indicates. I now have a deal with myself that I'm not allowed to worry as much please may this not jinx it

foody I'm still thinking of you and hoping that you are as well as can be.

Ooo sweetie you have a Dec due date too! I love the seasonal period and am super excited that it's going to become even more special.

shazz whereabouts is your DH from in Yorkshire? Mine's from bradford! Ahhh I know the names arguments. DH wants boring names that were popular when we were kids, whereas I want something that not every other kid is called, but not totally whacky. I have a girl's name he's not not letting me have, but boy's is a bigger issue. We're going to try to save the arguments until we know the sex! However, we also have surname problems too, as I've not changed my name...

crisps I have the whole baby or belly thang going on too! I'm going to tell work colleagues at the end of the week, so will be able to wear some nice comfortable maternity stuff from then on.

buzzy thinking of you and hoping you are ok.

mariana baby ducks sound v cute. I allowed myself to watch one born every moment this morning (kind of as a prep type thing!), and sobbed my way through most of it.

expat you poor thing - that all sounds incredibly scary. I hope you are ok and managed to have a relaxing weekend. Do they have any idea what caused it?

Hello claire! There's just so much to worry about isn't there?

fairy I 've been suffering with generalised itching, particularly at night. It's been driving me mad! I suspect it's cos my skin is super dry at the mo.

mrshy Interesting what your book says about listeria. My MW told me to avoid pre packed sandwiches. I was a bit dismissive - m&s listeria? Never! But maybe I should follow her advice.

Can I ask you (and any one else who's been on them), when did you stop the fanny candles? I was just told to take them until 12 weeks, but am a bit scared of suddenly stopping them. I may go down to one a day for a bit?

didals now I'm officially preggers, I've ordered some of those topshop maternity jeans on your recommendation. Can't wait to be able to wear jeans again - my normal ones have been far too uncomfortable.

Yes please can we keep chatting on a part 2 of the Fred?! It's been lovely getting to know you all and also to chat with people who understand all the worries a long awaited pregnancy brings smile

MrsHY1 Sun 02-Jun-13 15:15:12

Just a quickie to say gin, good decision on the Topshop Leigh jeans! Also thanks to dildals I ordered some and blimmin love 'em. I bought two colours in my current size and the next size up for when I pork up. Given my best mate spent, brace yourselves, £500 on 2 pairs of jeans I didn't think £150 for 4 was bad shock. And I live in jeans.
As for the fanny candles, I went cold turkey at 12 weeks and was shitting myself, I was convinced I'd spot, given I was a chronic spotter pre-conception, but nope, nothing at all. It feels really weird letting them go because they've been a lifeline to your little gin really, but the reality is that from wk 9/10 your placenta took over from the corpeus luteum ( which the candles kept going) so the candles are now redundant.
Enjoy it I say! Enjoy not leaving a waxy residue over your knickers and/or spending a fortune on bloody carefree liners. X

Don't give away your panty liners just yet. TMI coming up....there is quite a lot of CM that comes back later on!

Good news about the jeans Gin and Mrs H.

My DP is from Ilkely Gin. We have living with Yorkshiremen to add to our list of things in common!

mrsH £500!!! Mine were £29 from JoJo Maman Bebe.

Gin we aren't married so we also have a surname issue. At first I was all for Shazlett taking DPs surname but now I realise that if we never marry, I will always have a different name to my child. Does that matter? Anyone else have this issue? I don't want to go down the double barrelled route so I don't think I have much of a choice.

Nokkie73 Sun 02-Jun-13 16:41:15

I do, but I don't know what to do about it. The double-barrelled route is a bit wanky and with our surnames, would sound utterly made-up and sooooooo pretentious. Hmmmmmmmm, you've got me thinking now.

Oh God do we have to get.......married? wink

Ladies, This is the last post! I have started a new thread

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1770278-Pregnant-IVF-Worriers-part-two

Please don't leave me there to fret on my own! See you there. smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.